Vitamin D advise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Oct 6, 2010.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have had several people tell me that I should try more vitamin D in my diet. How do you know how much you are suppose to have on a daily basis.

I read a web site that showed that Silk soy milk had a lot in it. I use that on a daily basis. Usually about a cup or two a day.

I dont eat fish and that was the first on the list. When I gave up meat, I also gave up fish. Not sure how my stomach would like fish since I have not had any in over 8 years. Sure miss fish, but I only ate the deep fried, breaded kind. Not really that healthy.

Thanks for any suggestions!
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Have you had your levels checked? I would start with that as most people are low. I am confused about Vit. D3 and D2.. My D3 was very low but the other was high.. I take about 2000 mg of Vit. D3 a day which isn't enough.. Hope to discuss this with my doctor on my next visit.

I would take Vit. D3 if you chose to do so.

Good Luck,
  3. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks, I will ask the doctor next time I go in.

I dont really know much about vitamins, and didnt realize there was so many different ones out there. Hopefully I will find out on my next doctors appt if adding D is ok.

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Julie - The best source of Vitamin D is from the summer noon sun. You can get some Vitamin D from food, but not enough for optimal levels. The next best source is supplements; either Cod Liver Oil or Vitamin D3. The problem with the Cod Liver Oil is that it also contains large amounts of Vitamin A which can be dangerous if you get too much. Vitamin A also cancels out some of the good of the Vitamin D so your best best is probably Vitamin D3 (not D2) supplements.

You should first get a blood test [25 (OH) D] to find out what your D levels are. Then supplement accordingly. You should also get your calcium levels checked occassionaly as Vitamin D can cause your calcium levels to get too high.
  5. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

yes, get your blood checked for the level of vit. d. It took me a long while toget mine to where it should be. 4yrs of trial and error

I take 4000 IU.

good luck
  6. hokiesrule

hokiesrule New Member

Hi TigerLilea,
    I wish I had read earlier what you had written about Cod Liver oil and about the Vitamin A could be dangerous. I just read on and also on the websites about this. I've been taking Vitamin D3 and Cod Liver Oil (during the winter) for years. I have pre-menopausal osteoporosis and just read that too much Vitamin A can cause bone thinning too. I do have fish oil so will take that along with my Vitamin D-3. Here I was thinking I was doing something healthy and finding later that it's not. I hate when that happens. My cod liver oil might be okay as far as ratios go, but I'm going to quit taking it, am not going to take a chance of getting cancer.
  7. mje

mje New Member

I have not posted for ever so long..Have been taking Vit D3 for some time. I have seen an
    MD who also does Integrated Medicine. I spoke to her about it when I saw her. (she has
    given me acupuncture and some necessary 2nd opinions). I was (and still am) taking 4000
    a day.. surprisingly she said I could probably take 10,000.. I did not step mine up. I have found that I have had less overall aching. When i am too tired, etc. Makes one feel that
    you just hurt all over!!!

8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

When I was first tested 3 years ago my I was at 18, now I am almost at a normal 38. I take 4-6000 IU a day and I can really tell if I miss a day or two--more aches & pains and feel depressed. If I feel like I'm coming down with something like a cold I take l or 2 extra pills.

Please ask your dr. to have you tested so you can find out where you're at.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Start out slowly. I've found that if I take 2000 IU's, I'm fine. If I take 3000, I can't get to sleep at night.

I've also found out that not all fish oil is the same. The good stuff is called pharmaceutical grade and it isn't cheap. My eye doc sells it but I found it at Publix Supermarket, a chain in the SE, at the pharmacy for less. Still, it's about $30 for a two-month supply. That may not seem like much but when one adds up all the supplements, it gets costly. On the other hand, the fats in the good stuff are better, so they are worth it. Flax seed oil is an alternative to fish oil.

Fish isn't cheap either. Salmon is one of the best. I eat talapia pan fried in olive oil. It's bland, so I add some Cajun seasoning as it browns. Sardines are one of the best fish but I don't like them.

Love, Mikie
  10. cph13

cph13 Member

You can get a blood test for D3 Cholecalciferol....that's the one that is important. There are many views once again on how much supplementation and the levels. I found a marked difference when mine were up at 50......up to 90 is safe provides nice easy videos of the benefits of D3 and K.....
    Nothing on TV anyway so U might as well watch the above and have
    a special, Healthy, Happy New Year
  11. IanH

IanH Active Member

Hi Hagardreams, Did you have your serum 25(OH)D tested. I am interested to know what your levels were and what the advice was from your doctor. I am assuming that your intesrest in Vitamin D come from you having FMS or ME/CFS. Thanks
  12. cph13

cph13 Member

Hi Hagardreams et al,
    May I suggest a site there is a lot of detail about all the above vitmins with great links and concerned posters on Osteoporosis...the effects of calcium on the aorta and throughout the body like breasts by NOT combining our intake of with D and K-(there are many k's) and magnesium. This site also has different groups including CFS, Cancer (different types) and the NOF. Check it out when U have time.

Please everyone, D3 (not the cheap D2) is what is needed. I was on d2 by a mistake of my dr. and the pharmicist ignoring my question "is this D3". This week the pharma told me, " I never heard of D3 ...esp. 50,000iu (this is a normal loading dose when your D is v. low). U don't know what U R talking about". Well, it's out there and it's OTC. In speaking with 2 other pharmacists at other d. stores, they too were unaware of D3. Dr. google is sometimes the best dr. of all. However, I have learned the hard way recently, self medicating even with the help of a GP can make U more ill. I had a Very, very bad bowel issue with D2...(thinking it was D3)

More reliability is avail at the forums we visit with some of the most knowledgeable people with our condition.

I have been an ostrich over the past many years. I'm back in mainstream for my condition and I am happy to be on this forum and others that will give me BACK the power I dropped in the sand while playing ostrich.

I believe U will find the above site to be wonderful. The people are friendly and NOT CLICKISH at all and very helpful.

I hope I am not being to forward or too unfocused with this post. If so, please forgive me. I am just trying to share the LITTLE, I know.
    Be well
    Have a Healthy, Blessed, Happy New Year,