Vitamin D Deficiency- Xiris Lamp

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by tony233, Dec 22, 2008.

1. tony233

tony233 New Member

My lab results for vitamin D,25-hydroxy was 13.0. The range listed was 32.0 to 80.0. My doc started me on 50,000 units of vitamin D. All it did was cause extreme fatigue. I read about the Xiris Sun Lamp. Anyone have any experience with it for increasing Vitamin D levels?

Anyone know of a U.S. source for this sun lamp or a similar lamp? It's purpose is to increase Vit D levels for those who can't tolerate Vitamin D supplements.
    (commercial URL removed by moderator)
    Tony
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

My doctor has started me on 50,000
  3. turquoise

turquoise Member

My level is pathetically low also, and I do NOT tolerate vitamin D as a supplement, so I had been trying to sit in the sun as much as possible. When I mentioned the sun exposure to one of my other drs. (not the one who ran the D test) he suggested I look into a Vitamin D light instead. It is called a DUVF Fluorescent lamp . I ordered one last week that was supposed to have been here already, but they messed up my order. Am expecting it probably tomorrow. The best one for the money that I was able to find online for the cheapest price was a KBD Sperti brand. I ordered the one for $425 with free shipping and an 18 month warranty. The one thing I did not like about the company I used, is that they will not take it back if for some reason you do not tolerate it . (I have MCS and can react to everything on earth).

It comes with 2 free pairs of goggles you area supposed to use with it at all times. 5 minutes under the lamp (expose any part of your body you like) is supposed to be equivalent to roughly 30 minutes in the sun. There is a timer so you can start with 1 minute in the beginning to see how you do.

I used a company called Summer Tan , but there were others. If you goggle it, you should come up with a lot of them. Mercola had a lot of them for sale that were like deluxe models, but so was the PRICE.

The dr. gave me a written RX for it with a diagnosis of VIT D defieciency on the bottom in the hope that my insurance co. might "kick in" for part of the cost. Apparently sometimes they do and sometimes they dont. Knowing mine, I am not holding my breath on that one.

Would be interested in your experience with this if you pursue it!

4. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I'm feeling a fibro fog here but.. what is K2...
    Thanks~
  5. lukro

lukro Member

I had great success w/ the one by Sperti. My doc tested me before (very low level of D) and after one year (normal range). The only thing I did different was the Vit D lamp. I highly recommend it.

6. turquoise

turquoise Member

Thanks for the input on the Sperti lamp! Mine just came a couple hours ago. All I have done so far is set it up and make sure it works. The green goggles drive me nuts BTW- am afraid they will knock my contacts out, and everything looks so bizarre. It makes me feel better to learn that it actually has worked for someone.
    The instructions had levels to begin with according to the type of skin that you have. I have I think the second level which means I start out on the lowest end and work SLOWLY up. What they did not tell me on the phone and which someone with level 1 skin should know, is that they are not supposed to use it at all! This is the type that is pale white, always burns, and NEVER tans. Apparently it carries the same risk of skin damage and cancer as the sun, but in my case I think given my level, I have to balance that against the risk of being that low.
  7. lukro

lukro Member

I never thought about they type of skin because I am medium to dark and tan very easy. I never tanned w/ the D-lamp. I used it as directed.

The google were difficult at first but you get used to them quickly. I don't wear contacts so I didn't have that worry.

Good-luck. They really do work.
  8. 43

43 New Member

I have just been given a XIRIS lamp. I found this Q&A from googling of course..but has anyone used this brand and been ok with it? (I haven't tried it yet as I too am very sensitive to all sorts of things!)

I see it was mentioned in the first question but I'm not clear if anyone in reply has used this lamp or simply the Sperti?

:)
  9. IanH

IanH Active Member

Check that you are not taking ergocalciferol. A weekly 50000 dose of vitamin D2 can make you feel fatigued. Vitamin D2 is not recommended for vitamin D deficiency because it can cause a drop in your natural/serum levels of 25(OH)vitamin D (aka calcidiol). The form that is required is cholecalciferol or vitamin D3. It is also best to take daily doses of 10000IU followed by 5000IU after blood levels reach 50ng/ml.