Vitamin D deficiency

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by XKathiX, Dec 6, 2005.

1. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Hi all,

When I went to the rheumy he had me go for some blood work. I could tell that one was a TSH which I know is thyroid and the other I thought was some sort of protein test.

Today I got a letter from him that my vitamin d was low, with a prescription for vit d. The instructions were to take one pill a week for 2 months then stop.

I looked up symptoms of vit d deficiency and they list bone pain and muscle weakness, one site said pain in thighs. He did diagnose me with FM, but my biggest complaint has neen my hips, butt, and thigh pain.

Has anyone else been vit d deficient?

-Kathi
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

I recently read an article on another site that said if you have a vit D deficiency, your body can't absorb calcium correctly.

That can cause muscle cramps and bone pain and probably a bunch of other stuff (smile).

Hope I helped a bit
    Kendra
  3. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

One of the other things they said can cause low vitamin d is Osteomalacia. I looked this up and it says the following:

What Is Osteomalacia?
    Osteomalacia means soft bones. Like osteoporosis, osteomalacia weakens the bones and makes bones more likely to break. However, the process is different from that in osteoporosis. In osteoporosis, bone is broken down faster than it is re-formed. In osteomalacia, the two activities are balanced, but the bone that is formed does not become dense and hard (mineralized). Among older people, osteomalacia is much less common than osteoporosis.

Osteomalacia is usually caused by vitamin D deficiency or by a digestive tract or kidney disorder. These disorders can interfere with the body's use of vitamin D. Rarely, osteomalacia is caused by a low phosphate level.

Osteomalacia causes fatigue and pain in the back, ribs, and hips. Muscles in the upper arms and thighs become weak. People with osteomalacia may have trouble getting up from a chair or climbing steps. They may waddle when they walk. Like osteoporosis, osteomalacia leads to bone fractures.

This last paragraph is me to a tee!!!! I am in PT and one of the things the therapist said after watching me walk is that she wanted to measure my legs because I walk funny - it's because I Waddle! Some days I can't lift my arms and I always have trouble getting up from a chair and I go up the stairs hand over feet. The note he sent me did not say that I had this but I wonder if that is the problem.

I think I'm going to call him tomorrow.

-Kathi
  4. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Gigi - You are very sweet! Thanks for the kind words. This is a new doctor and I'm not sure what I think of him yet, but we'll see.

Nancy thanks for the bumps I'm going to read them now.

Hugs
    Kathi
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

Giving pregnant women vitamin D could mean their babies grow stronger bones in later life, a study suggests.
    A study of 198 mothers indicated the children of those who lacked the vitamin, crucial for calcium absorption, had weaker bones at nine.

Those who took supplements or were exposed to more sunlight, which helps the body grow its own vitamin D, had children with greater bone densities.

The research from Southampton General Hospital is published in the Lancet.

Professor Cyrus Cooper, who led the team, said the findings provided evidence that maternal vitamin D status during pregnancy influenced the bone growth of offspring and their risk of osteoporosis in later life.

He told the BBC News it was the vitamin deficiency of the mother carrying the child, rather than the baby in early life, which affected the child's bone strength later.

"This is completely new - no one has ever looked at the mother's vitamin D levels before."

Vitamin D is crucial for the absorption of calcium which is in itself key in the formation of healthy bones.

The team from the Medical Research Council's Epidemiological Resource Centre at Southampton General Hospital measured the levels of vitamin D in women's blood in late pregnancy as well as studying calcium levels in the babies' cord blood.

Supplement warning

This showed how vitamin D had helped calcium transfer across the placenta.

Nine years after the babies' delivery, the team traced 198 of the original 596 mothers who remained in the Southampton area and measured their children's bone mineral content and bone mineral density.

Professor Cooper now wants to carry out a study to see whether supplementation of vitamin D deficient pregnant mothers could lead to stronger bones in their babies in later life.

No woman should take extra vitamin D in pregnancy unless recommended by their doctor
    Professor James Walker
    Royal College of Obstetricians

Professor James Walker of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists said the study demonstrated the importance of having adequate levels of vitamin D in pregnancy, both for the mother and her baby.

But he said it demonstrated that women who had adequate vitamin D levels were fine, and it was "only when levels were deficient that there was a problem".

"More vitamin D is not necessarily good," he said. "Therefore, no woman should take extra vitamin D in pregnancy unless recommended by their doctor."

Jackie Parrington, spokeswoman for the National Osteoporosis Society, said the research was important as it showed the need to look after one's bones started at an earlier age than had previously been thought.

"Maintaining bone health is important throughout life. Regular weight bearing exercise and a healthy balanced diet are all essential for keeping our skeletons strong as are stopping smoking and not drinking heavily," she said.

Osteoporosis, which costs the NHS £5 million a day, affects half of women and one in five men over 50 in the UK. It results in bones becoming so porous that they can break very easily.

Story from BBC NEWS:
  6. KarenZee

KarenZee New Member

I have a Vit D deficiency and these have been some terrible symptoms. I have had it twice that I know of. Once my level went up they took me off the Vit D (50,000 IU once a week for 3 months). Now about 10 months later my Vit D is low and my calcium is low. I am back on the mega dosing of Vit D. It was also suggested that I switch my calcium to calcium citrate but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Before I had the labs done I had been thinking that the muscle weakness, fatigue and burning was coming back (bummer). Then I got the lab results and, low and behold, I am Vit D deficient again. I do not know why the Vit D keeps dropping. Some people have suggested malabsorption, but I was previously tested for Celiac and Crohn's which were negative.

Any ideas?
  7. jane32

jane32 New Member

The ffc tested me for it but didn't have any recommendations beside salt. She says peopel that follow a low salt diet have low D. I have low BP so I was actually trying to increase my salt but no change yet. She says that it can show inflammation too. But, I do not suffer from any muscle pain or weakness.
  8. KarenZee

KarenZee New Member

Thanks for your reply.
  9. jane32

jane32 New Member

No I don't follow a low salt diet either that was the strange thing. I have been increasing my salt the past two years when my regular dr. told me to b/c I have low BP-90/60.

The FFC dr. told me that low VIt. D can be caused my low salt intake. I told her I was trying to follow a high salt diet but my blood test shows something different. I guess my body can't digest the salt or keep it in my system-I flood my system with water too.