Vitamin D deficincy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by asmom15, Sep 24, 2008.

1. asmom15

asmom15 New Member

I have had fm and cfs for 9 years now. Been to all kinds of Dr.s, had all kinds of tests, gone thru depression, vertigo and have an off balance feeling all the time. I recently went to a Endocronologist to see what they had to say about my condition. Never been to this kind of Dr. before. Took some blood work and I just found out that I am vitamin D deficient. She said that most people diagnosed with fm and ms are vitamin D deficient. So I thought to pass along this info. Its apparently a big thing now. Especially with all the sun block we are using to keep out the suns rays. Vitamin D lives in your skin and to get it to work we need the sun. So go figure.
  2. holiday16

holiday16 New Member

I also came across that information about FM and low D levels. What surprised me was that even after spending large amounts of time in the sun one summer (without sunscreen) my levels were *still* low. The time in the sun didn't help me much if at all and I have to wonder if it's like that for everyone with FM. I take a large dose of D3 once a month now and get my levels checked periodically.

3. allamerican7

allamerican7 New Member

that was lead on this study.

I was Vit. D deficient.

I am in the sun alot without much sun block, drink my milk, etc.

Everyone that was in my group was found to be Vit. D def. also.

I took a booster and supplements daily, I am also following the Mayo protocol. I have somewhat smoothed out the extreme roller coaster ride. I am still on it though.
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

and tested at 27 and my dr wants me up around 70-80.

Dr. wants me on 50,000 IU once a week for 8 weeks and then every other week. I didn't have the $$ to pick up script, so I just bought a bottle of 400 IU to at least start getting more in my system--been taking 4 a day.
  5. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

to get adequete supply of vitamin D? I have to avoid sun because I've had several skin cancers removed (including malignant melanoma).

I do take a vitamin supplement, but don't know if body absorbs/accepts it as well as a natural source.
  6. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

Please consider this. The low 25d tests from chronically ill people just might be the result of your disease not the cause of your disease.

Please have your 1-25d levels checked by Quest Labs. More than likely they will be high so that means that you have plenty of the active metabolite.

Taking extra vitamin d is not going to change the course of your illness in a positive way.

I just saw in the news that skin cancer is increasing. So if sunblocks are causing vitamin d deficiency because everyone's using them then why are skin cancers on the rise.

Most people are not putting sunblock on everyday. I hardly ever put sunblock on in the past. Only when I went to the beach. All that sun exposure and drinking vitamin d fortifed milk and eating eggs everyday did not keep me from getting CFS.

Because CFS and FM and many other chronic diseases are caused by pathogens.

7. limbo

limbo Member

I have had my level 25, 1-25 checked and I will take D3. We have to to educate the public as well as the medical. Thanks for the post, I keep forgetting to take it. I live in the north and dread winters. banka8 what can be a cure for pathogens or help. Any advice would be helpful. limbo