vitamin D how much and does it help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Denamay, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I wondering if anyone is taking large doses of vitamin D?
    I upped my dose to about 2,000mg daily.
    What would you consider to be the best amount to take?
    I have had a very good winter and wonder if this is part of the reason.
    take care, Denamay
  2. cjones6149

cjones6149 New Member

I asked my doc to test my vitamin D level, he did and it came back extremely low. Told me to take 1000 units per day. I felt very tired, depressed, very low energy, wanted to stay in bed all the time, just felt bad, and my pain level was very high.

After a few months, I noticed a difference, but it wasn't where it should be, so he said to use 2000 units. I had also started taking calcium with D, and Centrum silver, it has 500 units of D. I also take a vitamin B complex, and 500 mcg of B-12 x3 along with fish oil capsules.

On my next visit, my D level had come back up to normal (50), but he wants me to continue at least 1200 units per day. So I take 2 calcium tablets (400 units of D each), and the Centrum, and every 3 days I take 2000 units. He said this was fine.

I would check with your doctor before using high doses of D or any vitamin. I know too much vit A is bad, but I don't know about D levels. For me, it works, I've noticed a marked difference in my energy level, not so tired, and I feel better. My pain level hasn't changed, and me and the cold don't get along. But do check with your doc first, that is always a good idea.
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

It seems like today most calcium supplements (or even some multis) carry at least 1000mg of D.
    My doctor says to take at least 2000 units.

My level was in normal limits but on the lower end of normal.
  4. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I see now there is a great post going allready that I overlooked. Wishing you sunny days, from Denamay
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

My physician put me on 50,000 IU once a week. I, like others here, suggest you have your physician do a blood test to see if you need to be supplemented.

I am doing well and slowly feeling better on it (energy) however FMS is about the same, so far.

6. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

There are 2 references in the above posts that mention 1500 mg and 2000 mg, they should read 1500 IU and 2000 IU respectively.

I just wanted to ensure people realise that vitamin D is measured in International Units (IU) and/or micrograms (mcg).

Example, vitamin D - 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 mcg, hence 1000 IU is equivalent to 25 mcg.[This Message was Edited on 03/16/2009]
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Edited to correct typographical error. kjfms.

Actually, 1000 IU = 0.025 mg (milligrams) = 25 mcg (micrograms).

It always helps me to write out formulas for these types of conversions, sometimes it just makes it a little easier.

1 mcg of Vitamin D is equal to 40 IU (International Units).

To convert IU to mcg (micrograms), divide amount of IU by 40 to get the amount in mcg.

Formula: IU / 40 = mcg

Example: 1500 IU / 40 = 37.5 mcg

0.001 mg is equal to 1 mcg. or simply move the decimal point 3 places to the right:

0.001 move the decimal point 3 places to the right would make it 1.0 mcg which is the same as 1 mcg

To convert mcg to mg, multiply amount of mcg by 1000 to get the amount in mg.

Formula: mcg x 1000 = mg

Example (continued from above): 37.5 mcg x 1000 = 0.0375 mg

Some more examples:

50,000 IU is equal to 12.5 mcg, so 12.5 mcg is equal to 0.0125 mg

2000 IU is equal to 50 mcg, so 50 mcg is equal to 0.050 mg

400 IU = 10 mcg = 0.010 mg

Anyway, just thought I would show a possible easier/different way. I hope I didn't botch it up too much.

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2009]
  8. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

>> Actually, 1 IU = 0.025 mg (milligrams) = 25 mcg (micrograms).

Correction - you mean 1000 IU (not 1 IU).

1000 IU = 25 micrograms (mcg)
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

1 IU = 0.000000025 mg = 0.000025 mcg Vitamin D

1000 IU = 0.24999999 (0.025 mg) = 25 mcg Vitamin D

Please feel free to flog me if I have made any more mistakes ;)

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2009]
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Vitamin D3 is what the body best absorbs. Puddleglum & KJFMS, it is likely that your doctor is not prescribing D3. Most scripts are for Vitamin D2. Thanks to Jam, I have learned a lot from the website. Please see this weblink:

This weblink was one of the "best articles" from the websites, which is a nonprofit website with great info from top researchers of Vitamin D. You might check with your doc and see which form of Vitamin D he is prescribing. It's often cheaper to buy it OTC too.

Hope this helps!

[This Message was Edited on 03/19/2009]
  11. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

A big hug for kjfms
  12. kjfms

kjfms Member

LadyCarol have a nice day and thank you.

I just wanted to let you all know that it cost me anywhere from $9.00 - $12.50 per month for my prescription of Vitamin at Wal-Mart. I use a discount card because I haven't any insurance.

13. greatgran

greatgran Member

My vitamin D was checked and the doc wanted me to take 50,000 units a week, one pill made me so sick I didn't try another. Then Jamin told me about D3 so I have been taking 2000 units daily but I can't say I have noticed any improvement or change in how I feel. My doc seemed that 2000 units of D3 was ok.. I get discouraged trying things hoping for some improvements but maybe I would feel a lot worse without them.

Good Luck to you,
  14. bakeman

bakeman New Member

zip zilch nada