vitamin D level still 19

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, May 15, 2011.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi all, I received a letter from my dr. yesterday saying my vitamin D level is still only 19 after taking vitamin D 50,000 Iu once every two weeks and it went to 23 after 3 months but couldnt tolerate it so she put me on vit D3 1000 IU but it has gone back down to 19. She suggest trying to go up to 2-3000 IU vit D3. What would cause it not to raise and even go down?? I even have been getting a little sun since its warmed up here. I tried the 2000 IU yesterday and it makes me feel wired didnt get to sleep until 5am this morning. I split the dose yesterday 1000 in am and 1000 pm. I really dont know what to do to get it up to a normal level, got any suggestions?? Thanks and God Bless
  2. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

What kind of Vitamin D are you using? It has to be D3. My doctor had me on 50,000 units of Bio-Tech brand Vit D3 once a week for several months . My level went from 22 to 62. I stopped, so I don't know what it is now. I probably should go on 5,000 a day.

You can also herx on Vit D3.

Your body is using up Vit D as fast as you can make it. During illness it needs more.

My suggestion is to change brands. My doc said that the blue pills the pharmacy sells is not the right kind of Vit. D.

Good luck.
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I take 10,000 IU a day of Vit D3 in a gel type cap. I use the brand Spring Valley and I buy mine at WalMart and it comes in 5000 IU. You might not need this high of a dose--but I also take it for glaucoma & cataract and my eye dr. wants me on this high dose. I started out just taking 5000 IU at first. I only like the gel type pills.
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

This website always has the latest info and consist of doctors who have researched this stuff for years and do not profit from their own research. You will see some of what other people have mentioned here (Jamin knows so much on this topic she could create her own Vitamin D website) and much more, such as recommended brands. DEFINITELY only take D3. I hope you get improved results soon.

All the best,