Vitamin D May Help Ward Off MS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just read an article in the newspaper from the AP about a new study which indicates that those with lower levels of vitamin D may be more prone to MS. People with the highest blood levels of vitamin D were 62 percent less likely to develop MS than people with low levels of vitamin D.

This test included more than 7 million people and was performed by the U.S. Military. It is felt that minorities were too underrepresented to draw any conclusions and these results apply only to whites. Also, our bodies' main source of vitamin D is what our bodies make from exposure to sunshine. Darker skin does not absorb sunlight as easily as lighter skin does.

This research agrees with findings of other, smaller studies and may explain why MS is more common in people who live farther from the Equator, according to the article. The article is appearing in today's Journal of the American Medical Association.

There is no proof that taking vitamin D supplements prevents MS. MS is becoming more prevalent in sunny areas and it is theorized that people are reducing their time in the sun or using sun screens and this may be a factor.

"There's no question that vitamin D deficiency is an epidemic in the United States," said Dr. William Finn, a vitamin D expert at the University

Love, Mikie
  2. jarjar

jarjar New Member

and believe me the marshall protocol community are contacting them by emails to let them know this is a faulty conclusion based on a small piece of the puzzle.

One needs to study the vita d 1.25 also when studying auto immune diseases.

3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mikie

I also read the 'Journal of the AMA' and always find a tidbit of information.

I will read the latest one with interest.

It certainly is an eye open.

Thank you for the lead.

nyrofan
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just in case anyone missed this.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just for the heck of it.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your kind concern. The root canal went just fine but I seem to have picked up a stomach bug. It keeps coming back with new symptoms; at least, it isn't boring :) For a while, I couldn't keep anything down. I'm much better but am running a low-grade fever now, even though I'm finishing up the Amoxicilin. It may be the mycoplasma infection trying to reactivate and this ABX doesn't work on mycoplasmas. I may have to switch to the Doxy soon.

It's just been one thing after another but I'm looking at it positively. First, my immune system may be getting more normal if I'm catching common viruses going around. Second, hopefully, I'm getting everything out of the way in 2006 so that 2007 will be a better year. I hope it's a better year for everyone.

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know of any common viruses which can be caught within 9 hrs. He likely would have gotten it with or without your visit. It usually takes a few days, if not a week, for people to come down with viruses after exposure. I always figure that when things are going around, if you're going to get it, you'll get it no matter what. I hardly go anywhere right now and I wash my hands carefully but FL is inundated with tourists and it was one of the first states to have full-blown outbreaks.

Your ex is using you as a convenient scapegoat. Shame on him, after you took him pizza. Even if he did get the virus in 9 hrs., he could just have easily gotten it from the pizza box.

Hope you can get to feeling well too. It's hard, especially around the Holidays, to have one thing after another. My problems basically started at Easter. I'll be glad to kiss this year goodbye :) Take care.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's been about 80 and about 89 percent humidity. Too warm and humid for this time of year. Also, it's been cloudy a lot. We are used to temps in the high 70's and clear skies this time of year. Not that it matters all that much to me right now. All I've done is lie around the condo with the A/C on. Today, I got my few cards stamped and addressed. I thought I'd get more done but everything I do just makes me all sweaty. Aack! I feel your pain.

I told Shirl and Nanna that troubles are supposed to come in threes. I've had four and feel as though I'm doing somebody else's penance. I hope whoever it is appreciates it :) Whine, whine, whine.

Next year has GOT to be better for us all. Take care of yourself.

Love, Mikie
  9. lcb212

lcb212 New Member

I too am in Fl. and am so glad we don't have snow!!!
    I Hurt and am sooo tired but refuse to give in, thats me.
    I am west of Gainesville home of the GATORS and you?
  10. lcb212

lcb212 New Member

I have just started a Vit. D and tanning bed treatment.Let ya know how it works.
  11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I've also read that the body's ability to absorb vit. D. from the sun decreases after age 50- so I think supplements are a good idea. Just my two cents (it's all I have left this close to Christmas!!).
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm in Fort Myers and drive past Gainesville every time I drive up to Atlanta and back. I've hit the exits on I-75 on game days on Saturdays and am glad I'm not waiting in those lines. I've never driven in to Gainsville but we are all proud of the Gators' achievements. I got a onesie for my grandson with the Gator on the front and a football on the butt. He has a little stuffed gator, which he loves.

BTW, thank you for your kind comments on the antibiotic thread. I was lucky enough to have found Dr. Nicolson's website about six years ago. It was a mycoplasma infection which triggered my illnesses full blown. It was never adequately treated and went chronic for years before I started treating it with the Doxy. This was long before there were FFC's and the treatment was considered very cutting edge then. I no longer research like I did in the beginning as I got a bit burned out at it. I do feel very fortunate to have had docs who were willing to help me with treatments which are now pretty std. at FMS/CFIDS clinics. I've probably been on these treatments longer than most who are just starting out and I try to provide info from my research and my experiences with the various treatments. Again, thank you.

We are supposed to get a cold front sometime Mon. and I can't wait. Y'all are supposed to be getting some rain here shortly. It did sprinkle here but the sun is coming out. I used tanning beds in the winter when I lived in CO. It helped with SAD. Let me know how it goes for you.

Love, Mikie

13. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

How are you feeling these days after your surgeries? I hope you are on the upswing. Best wishes for a healthier New Year.

Hugs,
    CherylSue
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for asking. The gb surgery went well and I can eat most everything. I still burp a little more than before I got sick but basically, if I didn't know I'd had surgery, I would never feel as though I had. I did have a nasty abcessed tooth but the root canal went well and the infection is gone. Then (as though all that weren't enough) I got the stomach flu. I'm over it but am still very tired. All in all, though, I'm doing well.

I hope you are too and I wish you a very Happy New Year. I'm praying for all of us here and hoping that 2007 brings us all better things.

Love, Mikie