Vitamin D question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i have a vitamin D question and i really hope someone can help. i have CFS and am on antivirals.

long ago, before i began the antivirals and was very sick, i had my vit D tested. the 1,25 - D was normal and the 25 - D was low. i've been on vitamin D supplements ever since.

for almost 2 years, i have been on 1000 IU's of vitamin D.

i never had it retested until now. the 25-D is low at 54 (normal: 75-250). the 1,25-D is high at 132 (normal: 30-120).

i know chronic viral infections cause low vitamin D levels but i think the 1,25 is the active form...why would that one be high?

i am aware that trevor marshall believes that low 25-D and high 1,25-D means bacterial infection but i just don't know.

i know my problem is viral and i have had all of the bacterial testing, including PCR at MDL and lyme at igenex.....

any thoughts?

thank you
  2. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

Hi - 1000 IU per day of supplementation, is often not enough to reach the normal range of 25(OH)D. For example, see the following web page, which recommends at least 1500 IU, just to reach the bottom of the normal range.

If your 25(OH)D is low, your PTH levels very likely could be high, and that could account for the high 1,25(OH)2D. 1,25(OH)2D also depends on calcium intake, so you may need more calcium. Finally, levels of 1,25(OH)2D can vary considerably not only from day to day, but also during different times of the day. So, one test of a marginally high level of 1,25(OH)2D is not conclusive of anything. - Mark
  3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

thank you very much. i will double my vitamin D supplement intake as my GP suggested.

i realized that the test probably isn't even accurate because i think you are supposed to fast before the blood test and i did not!