Vitamin D should be 75

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've just been told by a new doctor I'm seeing (Dr. Gruenn) that my vitamin D level should be 75 - it's been around 45.

I know this will not be news to many of you but it is to me (that the level should be 75). I've been taking 5,000 IU a day for a couple of years so assumed my levels were okay.

Anyways, I'm going to double it for 2 months or so and then get retested. Hopefully this will do something for my poor beleaguered immune system!

Mary
  2. panthere

panthere Member

Mine is 20, so yours is way better. But I know that you should not only follow your Vit D 1, 25, but also calcitriol as that is an indicator of Vit D levels. My husband had VIt D toxicity based on Calcitriol (was in 200 while it's supposed to be in 40-60). So you might want to do that test as well.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2012]
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm a little confused - calcitriol is considered a medication for low levels of calcium (per PubMed - actually it's considered "in a class of medications called vitamins" per PubMed). So it's not a test per se. But perhaps the calcitriol caused vitamin D toxicity?

I agree, I will need to do a follow-up vitamin D test, which I plan to do.

Mary
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It can be confusing, all the different opinions of what are optimal vitamin D levels. I do know my immune system is less than optimal, so hope taking more D will help (plus the GSE which I just restarted!)

Vitamin K2 - okay, that's new to me - it's overwhelming actually, all the stuff we need ... I know I've heard of K2 before, it's just too much to keep track of with everything else! But am doubling my D3, and hoping for the best -

Mary
  5. panthere

panthere Member

Mary,

It is also a test (i do through labcorp). Dr. Cheney uses it to follow his patients Vit D status
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for the info - I've never heard of the calcitriol test before. I'll ask Dr. Gruenn about it.

Mary