vitamin D

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jess, May 5, 2009.

1. jess

jess New Member

I am kind of confused about taking vitamin D. Apparently Dr. cheney says Vitamin D supplements are toxic for CFIDS people. So what do you do if your levels are low? My Dr. wants my level to improve that it's way to low 19. He wants me to take 5, ooo units a day 5 days a week. What to do anyone? Thanks, Jess
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I hadn't heard about vitd and cheney. did he say why?

mine is at 9 and Im taking it but am still confused on right kind. docs say its one of the reasons i feel like crap.
    Everyone says the scrip kind doc gives you is wrong.
  3. loto

loto Member

but mine is low, and my doc told me to take 400 units per day, and that's what i'm doing. i have fibro. i haven't noticed feeling better yet, but i've only been taking it for about 2 weeks.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Remember, Dr. Cheney is just one doctor, and that is his opinion only. Considering the newest information available about the dangers of low Vitamin D levels, I would be inclined to listen to your doctor.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

400 IU per day is too low. Your doctor is using old numbers. If you are low, I would think you would need at least 1,000 IU per day. Some people here would probably recommend 4/5,000 IU per day. And be sure that it is Vitamin D3 you are taking.
  6. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

try to get Vit D the natural way, in the sun -- even if you have to sleep or take a catnap in the sunshine (ofcourse that depends where u live) but good luck :)
  7. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

The web report from Cheney's talk said that "Vitamin D3 is toxic to CFS". However, the term Vitamin D3 is used to describe 2 totally different things. Vitamin D3 often refers to the hormonal form of Vitamin D, i.e. 1,25(OH)2D3. For example, you will often see the term "vitamin d3 receptor". This terminology probably never should have happened, since 1,25(OH)2D3 is really not a vitamin, but a hormone. Vitamin D is first converted by the liver to 25(OH)D, and then it's converted in different parts of the body to 1,25(OH)2D (mainly by the kidneys).

On the other hand, there are 2 forms of the "real vitamin D", and they are called D2 and D3. People often refer to them as Vitamin D2 and Vitamin D3. This is probably a mistake also, because they basically have the same effect. It's not like they are totally different vitamins, as is the case for Vitamin B2 and Vitamin B3. In any event, if Cheney was actually referring to supplemental vitamin D, why didn't he say "vitamin D" instead of "vitamin D3"? So that's why someone really has to talk to Cheney to find out what he's referring to, and what's his reasoning for his belief, and what it's based on. FWIW, to my knowledge, Cheney hasn't done any studies on vitamin D. Is his statement based on experience with patients or just theory? Has he posted his data anywhere? Or has he even posted his theories anywhere?

- Mark

[This Message was Edited on 05/05/2009]
  8. jess

jess New Member

Hi thanks for all the responses. I have read some online reviews of Dr. Cheney's new protocol. He no longer recommends coQ10, glutathione, d ribose and vitamin d. He means direct glutathione so I guess whey protein is ok. How ironic but I take all of these. I wonder if this is why I am still so sick. So far I don't have Lyme. After many tests over this past year my Dr. feels it is not Lyme. I do have high ebv levels. Dr. cheney's theory does make sense and explains alot but I think I still need Vit D. Jess
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

One of the best natural sources for Vitamin D is often overlooked. Shiitake mushroom has one of the highest sources of Vitamin D you can get. You might want to look into getting some. Any time I take it, alot of my pain goes away, so I'd say there is something to it.