Vitamin D3 question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Jan 10, 2010.

1. quanked

quanked Member

I have read posts on here about D3 dosing. I cannot recall how much members are recommending. I started taking softgels--400iu--2 gels in the morning and 2 at night a month or so ago. I take Andrew Lessman's vitamins which includes 1000 iu in each vitamin packet. So I am taking 2600 iu each day.

I just ran out of the 400 iu. Anyone have an idea of whether I am taking too little or too much D3? I am going to order some more D3 today.

I appreciate all replies. Thanks.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Have you been tested to determine what your current levels are? This is really important, bc although most people tend to be too low, it is actually possible to also have too much. Plus, having a baseline would give you more info about if you have been taking the rt amt, too much, too little, etc. If you are severely low, then they may want to put you on prescription strength for awhile to get the levels up. If not, then that won't be necessary. (For me, even prescription strength wasn't really enough. The only thing that has improved my levels, and they are now optimal, is tanning a few times a week. This is not as risky as it sounds, as having optimal Vit D levels is protective against cancer, and having too low levels can lead to getting cancer. However, I do regularly check my skin just to be safe.)

That said, in general, the recommendations that have been in place for yrs are now being considered to be too low. I think the old thought was that 400 a day was sufficient, and now many are saying anywhere from 1,000 - 2, even say more than that. Still, like I said, it is really important to know what you levels are to start with.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2010]
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm currently taking between four and six thousand IU per day. I only notice a difference in my energy when it's over 6k. And I still feel deficient in it. I rarely get out in the sun, ever. Only a few times per month for very short periods of time.
  4. mmztcass

mmztcass New Member

per day. My doctor has me to supplement with the vits/supplements five days a week. I get my vitamin D levels tested every two to three months.

{{{hugs}}} :)
  5. quanked

quanked Member

the replies.

Auntammie and jaminhealth I have NOT had my levels checked. The idea of going to the dr. sounds overwhelming right now. I would bet that I am low. I do not get a lot of sun anymore. In the summer I use to be out in the yard for awhile, almost daily, but this past summer I was a foster parent to a couple of great nieces which used up the time I usually spend in the yard gardening (slowly).

But even when I am in the yard I have to avoid direct sunlight because of some meds I take.

I am just trying to figure out what I can do to help myself without damaging myself. The D3 sounded like something that might apply to me.

I am in a flare and it seems that my focus becomes stronger on what I can do not to end up here : )

I hate being this down. I just want to go back to bed.
  6. pumkinhead

pumkinhead New Member

I tested low on d3 Doc said to take 2,000. I agree with others to get a blood test to know for sure.

So sorry you are feeling bad.
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I take 5000 IUs of D3 a day. Because it was recommend here, and because when I
    took less, it didn't have much effect.

I also use the vitamin B12 patch one day a week.

And I continue to take my antidepressant.

My depression has been Greatly Lessened!

My dr. is very conservative. If I wanted a test I would probably have to
    find another dr.

I will always be thankful to Janinhealth for her spreading the good word re:
    Vitamin D3. My life has been so much better the past 2 years!

8. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I take 10,000 iu per day but I have severe osteoporosis. Per my doctor's recommendation, I've tried to up this higher to get my Vit D level over 100 but simply can't do it. I feel awful if I take more than 10,000 iu.

My doc had me on 5,000 iu per day but increased it after checking my blood levels which were around 80 for both forms of D. I've switched over to Biotech brand which is the brand my LLMD sells in his office because it's $7.30 for 100 caps of 5,000 iu.

It's very hard to find D3 in a high dose without any soy unless you purchase through a doctor. They sell a 5,000 iu capsule here in the store, BTW.