vitamin d3 question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by little, Jul 6, 2011.

1. little

little Member

my vit-d is low. the doctor wants me to take 50,000 once a week for 12 weeks. then 2000 a day. doesnt that seem like alot lot to take at once?

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2011]
  2. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

You can always call the dr back and ask if you got the numbers right. Fibro patients probably have a reputation for screwing up numbers at the doctors office anyway. It's just the fibro brain at work. Go ahead and call to make sure. Vit D does make you feel better, or it does me anyway.
  3. little

little Member

i already have the pills. how much do you take? the doctor called in the perscrib.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2011]
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi little,

I recommend checking out the website for some excellent info that underscores what Jam told you. Like Jam, I worked for a long time to get my Vitamin D levels up and did so successfully by taking Vitamin D3. I use Spring Valley Vitamin D3, which I purchase OTC from Wal Mart. I have also researched Vitamin D quite a bit. Many docs don't have the time to research medical topics in depth so they sometimes don't have up to date info, but the doctors at the website I gave are, and they are a not-for-profit organization.

Pharmacists (several, so I trust the accuracy) have told me that it doesn't matter if you take Vitamin D in a large dose weekly or break it up into smaller daily amounts. The most important thing though is to take D3 instead of D2. Our bodies just don't absorb D2 well. The dosage recommended is not necessarily high if you are very deficient. Did you doctor give you a blood test? The website I gave you tells you what your specific D levels should be. Sometimes doctors are not up-to-date on that either. Mine wasn't, and the website will help you with that also. Hope this helps.

All the best,

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That we are not doctors here and any advice we give is based on our own experiences. I recommend you talk with your doc about this to ensure you understood what he wanted and why before taking things into your own hands.

Love, Mikie
  6. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Yes, it does. It seems like it is so popular for doctors to give a prescription of Vitamin D all of a sudden. The 50,000 your doc wants you to take is in the form of Vitamin D2, which is not as absorbed as the Vitamin D3, also known as cholecalciferol.

Why docs keep prescribing these large amounts of Vitamin D2 is weird to me. First of all, Vitamin D3 is the preferred choice and there is nothing wrong with taking a capsule of Vitamin D3 that you can find in any health food store at a pretty cheap price.

50,000 IU's is way too much, even though you would be taking this amount, I believe, once a week or maybe even once every two weeks. It is much better to take a Vitamin D3 capsule of about maybe 5,000 IU's per day and take that for several months (3 months consistently) and THEN get your blood checked again. You will have a steady amount, the same amount, of Vitamin D3 in your system everyday.

There is no need, at least I don't think so, to rush this along with such a high prescription amount. I am so glad that my doctor believes in the other form, which is better, and then just take it everyday, like a multiple, and your levels will go up in time. Hugs, Chelz.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Was to buy 1,000 unit caps so I could start out slowly and see what I could tolerate. I can't sleep at night if I take 5,000. My max is 3,000 of the D3. I agree that docs often just jump on whatever bandwagon is passing by. I'm lucky in that I've always done my own research and have had docs who respect that and work with me.

Love, Mikie
  8. little

little Member

thanks for all the good advice. the reason i was asking is that my body doesn't tolerate meds. my pain meds are half at bedtime and 1/4 every six hours. 50,000 was way too much at one time. i will take 2000 a day. thats what the doctor wanted me to take after i took the 50,000 for 12 weeks.
    thanks again. Gail
  9. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I'm so sorry about your back issues, I have them too, but I haven't been to an ortho yet, just many chiropractors, neurologists, physical therapy, pool therapy, it's awful.

Yes, you must "lay low". I know about ice and heat, sometimes I live with those two things most always when I get home from working at the hospital, my back is killing me. So sorry about this for you. I commend you on the light exercise. The only exercise I get when my back is bad is reaching for the TV remote control.

Good luck with the surgeon and let us know. Hugs always, Chelz.
  10. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

My Dr also prescribed 50,000 IU vit D2 take once every 2 weeks and i felt horrible every time I took it couldnt sleep at night and just felt all wired up. I posted here and Jam and others gave me some realy good advice about trying vitD3 for the same reasons as they have posted for you. I called my Dr. and told her I wasnt comfortable taking that type or dose and i wanted to try Vit D3 1000 Iu and she agreed,well I took it for 3 months and my levels didnt raise much went from 19 to 23 so she upped it to 2-3000per day and told me to get some sun everyday for 20 min. I will have levels checked again next month. I cant say I feel any better yet and still somewhat wired even on this dose of vit D3 but not nearly as bad as the other. good luck with whatever you decide.I have to take it in the morning or I cant sleep at night at all. God Bless
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We should always make sure our docs know what we are doing, both with Rx's and supps. My doc has a comprehensive list of all my meds and supps. I carry the list in my wallet and it is posted on my fridge, along with a copy of my insurance card and emergency contact info.

A neighbor had a stroke and, even though another neighbor had a key to his condo, no one knew his emergency contact info nor his meds. This is critical, especially for those of us who live alone.

Love, Mikie
  12. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Thanks Mikie, I have a list in my purse but I will make one for my refrig,car as well with medical history(short form of course)meds,supp.,and allergies and contact info both family and Dr. Thanks for reminding us how important this is. God bless
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, we have a lot of new people coming here looking for answers and support. We may have acquired a lot of knowledge over our years of research but members cannot substitute advice here for advice from their own docs or medical treatment. I think it's good to learn from everyone and discuss options with our docs. I just feel it's important, especially for new members, to understand that as knowledgable as some of us are, we are not docs.

When we are first diagnosed or when we first get sick, we are usually desperate for info. There is a lot of good info on this site from our generous members but I feel a disclaimer is needed that we all need to work with our docs and not just depend on the people here. We all have different situations and what works for one may be dangerous to another. This is certainly not to discount the amazing amount of wisdom our members share with one another. Each of us has to decide how to treat our illnesses and I certainly respect your opinion. It is obvious that you have arrived at what works best for you but it may or may not be the answer for someone else. That is why it is wise for each of us to work with our docs, especially in the beginning.

Love, Mikie