Vitamin D3 supplementation, Anyone have less pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Oct 26, 2011.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

I've been told I have a deficiency of Vitamin D. Just starting on supplements. Anyone else have this diagnosis? Are you having less pain from taking supplements?

thanks.
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

Jammin, thanks for the response. Yes, I've had more pain lately. More in my tendons (actual tendonitis).

I'll definately be taking my Vit. D. Are you having less body pain since you started taking it? I've taken my first dose today, and have actually feeling happier this afternoon. I was kind of blue over the weekend.

Thanks again.
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

Low levels of vitamin D can cause bone and muscle pain,as well as fatigue, So I'm sure it is helping your pain to be at a normal level. Sorry about the Arthritis. Wish someone would find a cure for Arthritis. It's terrible.
  4. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Couple of articles that may help :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7553833.stm

http://dev.newsblog.mayoclinic.org/2009/03/20/mayo-clinic-researchers-link-vitamin-d-and-chronic-pain-relief/
  5. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Here in Alaska, the winters are without much sun and every Alaskan I know of has to supplement Vitamin D levels. I know it makes a difference, as do the full spectrum lights we have in the house. With 5 hours of daylight and sometimes no sunshine for weeks, we need all the help we can get!
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

I never thought about you Alaskans and what you have to deal with. Thanks for the full spectrum light thought. Does that help with vitamin D or just for depression? Tks.
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

LadyCarol. Thanks, I'll check these out.
  8. place

place New Member

D3 really helped my mood, pain and energy! Won't go without it.
  9. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I'm at the very low end of normal and live in south Florida. I don't bake in the sun, but I guess I just don't get outside enough. Told by my dr. to take 2000 mg daily. About 1000mg in my calcium supplements and then an extra 1000 D3.

Why are so many people deficient? Weird.
  10. kch64

kch64 New Member

yes it is odd.
  11. mimmic

mimmic Member

wish it had worked for me. I had seen so many good reports on here about pain and fatigue being helped, so I had hopes but no such luck. It actually worsened me - weakness and more fatigue and I was deficient. probably still am even tho I tried it for several months. good luck carolyn
  12. mimmic

mimmic Member

wish it had worked for me. I had seen so many good reports on here about pain and fatigue being helped, so I had hopes but no such luck. It actually worsened me - weakness and more fatigue and I was deficient. probably still am even tho I tried it for several months. good luck carolyn
  13. IanH

IanH Active Member

I have not been able to find any evidence for this in FM or ME. I have taken 5000 IU for nearly four years (had ME with FM for nearly 20 years) and see no pain reduction from the vitamin d. However I have noticed the following:
    cessation of Parkinsonian tremor
    improved urination
    less fatigue
    less brain fog
    much less morning stiffness
    increased testosterone levels (tested)
    My current blood level of vitamin D is 65ng/ml
    I take other supplements (but no pain killers) but I am fairly certain that I can attribute those benefits to Vitamin D. However despite no clear association with pain reduction it is critical that all people with ME and I suspect with FM to take 5000 IU vitamin D daily or more if levels are below 50ng/ml. This is because I believe FM to be an immune system dysfunctional symptom and secondarily a neurological symptom.
  14. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I too was diagnosed with a D deficiency. My lowest number was 18 and my doctor wanted me to get to a level of at least 60, but 50 to 60 would be okay.

My doctor is more holistic and she did not prescribe the Vitamin D2 which is a prescription strength of 50,000 IU, instead, she wanted me to take Vitamin D3 which is better absorbed by the body.

I started taking around 5,000 IU's per day back in October of 2010. I gradually went up to 10,000 IU's just a few months ago. My level is now at 58, which my doctor thinks is perfect.

Now, as far as your question goes, no I do not have any less pain now than I did when my level was 18. I wish I could say differently, but it has not made any difference.

I guess the only way to truly tell is if I stop my supplements right now, and my pain gets much worse, then maybe the Vitamin D did help, but I have not tried that experiment on myslef.

Vitamin D is probably good for you in the long run. A lot of people are taking supplements even if they don't have FM at all, so really, it's just another supplement to take to help prevent maybe any future problems. I can't speak for everyone, however, you have a lot of posts, which I'm going to read right now and see what everyone else says. Hugs, Chelz.
  15. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

If you are also celiac or gluten intolerant...I am... vitamin d3 supplementation is imperative. Since I've been taking 200mg of D3 a day I do have to say that I don't feel as much constant pain. Random, yes and did too much in one day pain, yes.