Vitamin Diagnostics Panel

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Aug 13, 2008.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Hi all

I'm getting the Vitamin Diagnostics panel re-run & I'm wondering if I should stay off the folates, B12 and Valtrex in order not to skew the results.

What do people think?

2. spacee

spacee Member

Defnitely the folates and the B-12. I don't know about the Valtrex..can't really see how that would skew. I am wondering though, if even stopping the vitamins would give a correct result. What I am saying is "how long does it take the folates and B-12 to clear your body".

Just my opinion.

Are you getting the test from your doc or another place?

My doc and I are in total disagreement about vitamins. He says that it is only making expensive urine. That is just because he is healthy as a horse and has been all his life (he is 62)So I would hate to ask him to run a panel. But then he would probably do it, he is good about testing what I ask for.

3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

thanks for yr thoughts.

The Valtrex modulates adenosine which is one of the things measured on the test. Adenosine impacts phospholipid methylation which is important for one aspect of brain function.

See Richard Deths' book: The Molecular Origins of Human Attention.

I persuaded my PCP to order the test. The compromise is I'm getting the blood drawn @ an independent Quest lab so her lab doesn't have to bother with an odd/esoteric test.

Basically, I just shop around until I find some doc, naturopath, chiro willing to order my tests.

If they can't/wont' draw the blood, I go to an independent Quest blood draw center.

4. spacee

spacee Member

Thanks, Delia.

5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Delia,

I got the MetaMetrix IONS test run last fall, without stopping the folates or B12.

(I actually didn't know that it was going to be measuring stuff relevant to methylation and so didn't think to adjust what I was taking.)

The FIGLU suggested that I was still deficient in folate, even though I was taking 1/4 tablet of each of the activated folates per day.

I thought that was interesting. I've thus stepped up my dose of the folates to 1/2 tablet each. (Or rather, one pill of each every other day, alternating. I got sick of breaking the pills and figure that their "half-life" is pretty long.)

The test that measured activated B12 (I can't remember the name) said that I was okay. Rich expressed suspicion about this, saying that he thought the Vitamin Diagnostics panel was more accurate.

I think it was better that I was taking those supplements when I got the test run. But maybe there's something that Vitamin Diagnostics measures that would be better to have done without them.

In any case, those folates recycle themselves for a long time in the body. I was under the impression that for elliespad, they kept recycling for months. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for me too.

The B12 doesn't recycle much for me, or at least it didn't used to.

I'd like to hear your logic, whatever you end up doing. And the results, of course.

Best, Lisa