Vitamins to help cervical fusion growing tissues around it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelby319, Oct 27, 2006.

1. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Top of the day to all~~

I was reading some material here about vitamins and I was hoping there are some extra vitamins besides the one's that I already take, that might help heal the cervial fusion surgery I had three weeks ago.

I now have a titanium plate in my neck after they fused 4 of the disks in the neck area, and I was wondering which vitamins if any, might also help with the healing of the tissues that are surrounding the plate, and have a better chance of a full recovery?/!!

I just want to make sure the tissues grow well around the plate and hold it together and in place better as my body is healing, but to also add to the recovery by using some different vitamins that might build up my immune system better so it fuses faster and lasts longer.

If anyone has had this surgery or might have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate any input to help me recovery along and for it to heal properly. I value everyone's opinion here on this wonderful board for any advice you can give me!!
    Thank you all and God Bless~~
    Shelby
  2. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I'm sorry you have to go through another surgery, but if it will help with the other herniated disks, it might be best to have it done before it gets too bad.

My fusions were at levels C3, C4, C5, and C6 and a little bit on C7...wow...thats alot huh? I am coming along pretty good now, seeing I also went into a flare up with the Fibro after the surgery, so it will take longer to recover. But they had to put me on stronger pain meds the other day as the one's I was on weren't quite as effective any longer. I guess it just takes time, and I'm one of those people that want things done yesterday!!LOL!!

How did you make out the first time you had the surgery, and you said it took well? If your Dr. wants to go in and do some scraping....I would probably suggest having it done now as its also less invasive as the first surgery you had done and less painful, on most occasions. Did you get instant relief from your 1st surgery? I did, as I couldn't even write with my right arm and hand, but now I'm getting alot more strength back and can write letters now where you can at least read them!!LOL!! But I'm still having alot of pain with my left side and upper back where the nerves are still growing back, and I can feel all this tingling and pins and needles running through my upper back, neck and arm!!!! Its not easy is it?

When are you planning on having the surgery, do you know yet? Please don't wait too long like I did, to the point of being in constant pain and then it will take longer to recover!!!

Did that help you at all? I hope so, if not just keep on asking me and I'll try to answer, ok?

Thanks for getting back to me on my question though, I appreciate it!!
    Hugs,
    Shelby
  3. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Like the person above, I am also wandering about fusion surgery.

I am 46, and was found last year to have loss of disc space c5/6. I know that I was a slow writer from age 7, and suspect I've had an accident as a toddler. My arms appear to work normally, but they don't. I also have a lot of muscle tension in my neck and jaw.

Doctors have told me very little. They seem very fearful about surgery, as they seem to think it would be very risky, and that I would lose a lot of movement in my neck.

A friend suggested that I go see a Neurosurgeon, but I haven't done anything yet. I'm wandering if it would be best to get it done at this age, or wait till things get worse.

Anyway, after reading your post, I'm really wandering if I might be best to look into surgery. I'm simply stunned that you've had fusion to 4 discs.

Just wandering what you think. Also, how long do fusions last.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestion about vitamins, but I wander if you've thought about positive imagery. I think this might be worth a try.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery.
    Robyn.
  4. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I just read your post and I'm sorry you are also having problems with your neck and jaw. I had many complaints that all of them turned out to be because of the neck being so bad. You would be surprised how much the neck does and protects us from other problems!! Like using our arms, all kinds of pain and stiffness, weakness, numbness, tingling, supporting our shoulders and upper back, just too much to name here at once.

I made sure I had an MRI done to see why I was having all these problems and alot of pain running down my right arm and not being able to use it anymore to even write a simple letter. And that is how they found out that the 4 disks were just about gone and needed to be repaired soon, or I was going to end up being paralized if I did anything as simple as lifting something very small like my cat. That is how bad it had become!!!

I was very lucky to have a Neurosurgeon check me over and do the surgery instead of having an orthopedic Dr. do it. There are alot of nerves involved when they do the surgery, that have to be separated to get to the disks and thats why its best to have a Neurosurgeon involved.

And yes, as far as what I've been told, that once you have it done it should last the rest of your life and you should have a complete recovery. It will take along time to recover though, as mine was only done 3 weeks ago, but yet I'm able to type alot better than before and I'm already seeing a difference with my arms and shoulders with less pain than I've ever had before. I was in so much pain for so many years, that I weighed all my options and went ahead and had this done at my age now...I'm 58, and I couldn't wait any longer, and I'm so glad now that I did have it done!! What a relief to have the use of my arms back!!!!

I've already started to do my yoga and bio-feedback and walking some, but it still will take time to recover more. But I do have a positive outlook on life and I always have, so that might have helped some with the recovery too!!

I hope you do start looking into it and start to think about perhaps having something done for your problems and perhaps surgery some day. I waited too long and should of really had it done 2 years ago, as the Dr. said the longer you wait the harder it is to do the surgery, as with mine, where they had to end up doing 4 disks instead of 2 or 3 if I had it done maybe 2 years ago!!!

I hope this helped you some.....and good luck if you do have any surgery or just an MRI to see if there is any damage in your disks and have it taken care of sooner than later. I hope I didn't scare you with my information...I just wanted to let you know what worked for me, but everyone is different or have different complaints.

Good luck Robyn,
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  5. TKE

TKE New Member

As far as vitamins I only know every time my Huz has had any surgery (he's had 5 surgeries in the last 5 years) they suggest a good multi-vitamin like Centrum. Also 500mg of Vitamin C 2 x a day.

I have DDD/2 buldged & 1 herniated disc in my neck. Hands tingle & shake at times. I also have muscles jumping in my arms. I get those lightening bolt shots of pain & headaches. Lower back/legs are the same.

I have an apt with the neurosergon on Nov. 15th. I saw him 2 years ago for lower back & he told me then he would only do surgery on me as a last resort. Said it may not help. I didn't know about my neck then. Just assumed it was Fibro/MPS & ignored it.

After cervical fusion does your neck turn normal again? Do you have a big scar? I'm terrified of being put under.

6. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Sorry that I took so long replying. I want to thank you for your kind reply.

I know, due to an MRI, that I definately have a collapsing disc at c5/6(it's taken me 25 years to find this out. Apparently doctors don't expect young people to have disc problems). I know that the nerves to my arms only have about a third of the space hat they should have, due to the disc pushing on them. I also have osteophytes at the location, so I'm not sure if that would complicate surgery.

My doctor swayed me away from looking into surgery as she said it was very risky. I think, however, that because I look healthy, that she really can't accept that I really DO have problems.

However, other people that I have spoken to seem to know people who have had succes with surgery.

I guess the best thing is to go talk to one or more neurosurgeons.

Thankyou again for your reply. It is good to be able to hear from someone who has actually been through the experience. I was very touched by your caring message. I was not scared by anything. I'm just looking for info so that I can decide what to do.

I hope that your recovery goes well. You sound like a very positive person, and I believe that that attitude really does help the body to heal.

Returning your gentle hugs.
    Robyn.
  7. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

Do a search for C4-5,C5-6 under content.

It is from messages I had with Lumare41 in 2004. Maybe they will help.

Dee

Ps Lumare41 if you read this how does your neck feel now?
  8. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

I don't know about the vitamin issue but thought I woluld share my experience with this problem.

I had surgery april, 2005, diskectomy with fusion, C5/C6. I was also having the horrible pain down my right arm along with tingling/burning in my back and neck. Of course, I am right-handed and my employment requires the use of computer all day long.

The scar is on the front of my neck, down by the collar bone. It is barely noticable. The RELIEF was almost immediate. I have good range of motion and no pain or tingling anymore.

The surgery worked great for me.

Theresa
  9. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I had a cervical fusion for C5,6 & 7 some 6 years ago. I was relieved immediately from the pain I was having but ended up with some nerve damage and weakness in L arm and numbness and tingling still in L hand. Unfortunately for me, my surgery was delayed some 4 weeks due to insurance run around. I feel certain I would have had better results if I had not had a delay in my surgery. I took Calcium supplements after my surgery even though I had donor bone.

I also had great results after the surgery while on Vioxx. I had almost no pain sensations. My problems arose when they took Vioxx off the market and I had to stop any NSAID's. I went back to work 1/2 days in one week and full time after 2 weeks. I have a barely noticeable scar in a natural fold on my neck as well.

All in all I was satisfied with the surgery, just not the delay of the insurance company to cover it.