Vitamins Which Are Better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 18, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am so confused about what brand of vitamin/mineral supplements to buy. I am taking Nature's Plus Source of Life and using Nature's Plus supplements but they are so expensive. I ask my doc and he seems to think the cheap stuff is just as good as the expensive ones. He is not one for vitamins etc. He doesn't think your body absorbs much of any of them. I do know I bought the Spring Valley, Fish Oil , (omega 3 ) and Vit. D3 brands and my D3 has gone from 17 to 47 on the cheap stuff.

I was suppose to start Vit. B 12 injections but found the Nature's Plus B12 5000 mcg. lozenges going to try these for a month and see if it brings my B12 up.. Guess I am experimenting with my body.My Natural Therapies swears by them we shall see. Of course she recommends the Nature's Plus or the expensive vitamins /supplements. I don't know who to believe.

2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I think when it somes to supplements, theres very little thats going to directly help cfs, i think u need to look at things for general health like antioxidants etc and things that protect the liver from meds we maybe taking like NAC and lipoic acid which have antioxidants abilities and direct liver protective effects and maybe things to help the immune system, many things u wont notice any direct effects but have alot of science behind them and good for genral health, its does come down to trial and error. my supplement list looks like this , high does vit e, nac, lipoic acid, niacin for cholesterol. Drugs are sleep meds, antivirals and cycloferon which is and immune modulator/ stimulant, tramal for chronic back pain which hopefully be sorted soon, also persuing hormone restoration.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi gg - If you can afford them, I consider "Life Extention Foundation" (LEF) vitamins to be the best. They keep up on the latest research and when information changes, they change their formulas. You have to go through their website or phone to order products. If you purchase a LEF membership you get the products at a discounted price. The membership also includes a monthly magazine and a 1-800 number if you have any medical questions you would like answered (within reason).
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi gg,

I like vits and supps that don't have alot of fillers in them.

Some brands that I use are Source Naturals, Pure Encapsulations, TwinLab and Nutricology/Allergy Research.
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am so sorry. I in no way meant any harm. To be honest I totally forgot about this board being run by a supplement company. You are so correct I should have never mentioned other supplements. Maybe I should delete my post.

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Do you have a Vitamin B12 deficiency? I did and got the shots until my level was normal. I have not needed the shots since my B12 level stabilized. It's a simple bloodtest.

Unless you have a deficiency, you medically don't need them.

Does your doctor sell vitamins? This is technically a professional no no as it creates a conflict of interest. The doctor makes money off of the sales so of course those are the ones recommended.

Kind of sleazy, if you ask me.

7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Gapsych, Yes I do have a vit. B12 deficiency .. 121. I am suppose to get the shots but for now trying to build the b12 up with the supplement.. Until I can feel up to going for the injections.

No, my doctor does not sell vitamins.. He writes prescriptions..but supports vitamins and supplements but also says you can take to much and some you don't need..

8. luigi21

luigi21 Member

Hiya, if you need the shots go for it. does your doctor think b12 supplements will deliver the appropriate amount you need? im guessing not if he's suggesting shots, but i aint no doctor (wink). A healthy diet will give you the supplementation you need usually unless your body isnt processing them right. sometimes this is due to how you digestive system works. The liver will deal with vitamins from food, and those from supplements differently, your bodys far better off getting supplements from food rather than supplement tablets the liver may already have a hard time processing other prescribed meds. if his suggested shots it may be due to how your body processes vitamins. all the best.
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Good luck with getting your B12 back to a good number. Definitely called for if you have a deficiency.

Take care.