vitamix rocks!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simonedb, Dec 4, 2009.

1. simonedb

simonedb Member

Hey if you can get a vitamix or some high powered blender to make smoothies I highly recommend it. I havent been a big fan for or against smoothies and I try to limit fruit and don't do dairy so havent really been much into them for awhile but I wanted to consume more vegies and a friend raved about the vitamix so I sprung and i have to say it makes quite a difference to have that strong motor, it blends spinach, greens, celery and ice etc into a fine drink and I add either soy/tofu or rice milk with steevia and sometimes a little fruit and I can feel the difference. I am absorbing the vegies better, I know carrots would be delicious in there but per alcat food sensitivity test not sposed to have them. I also cured my new problem with constip with these smoothies (sound like old lady). Cheney had started recommending folks against fruit so I hadnt eaten much the last year but I also have to say since I added in oranges and occasional mixed berries in last couple weeks I also feel more refreshed, cut back on my chocolate cravings with these smoothies.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I bought one back in 1980, bought a new container minus the 'tap' 4 years ago (I always had a hard time cleaning it out if using certain things in it)...

By far it's been the best investment in a piece of Kitchen 'equipment' I've ever made - the heavy duty motor on commercial model has held up.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I bought a vitamix about 20 years ago, even though I hardly ever use it. Like Victoria, mine has the tap and it is hard to clean. I should look into purchasing a new container, however, I don't know if the newer ones would work with the old base.

I did make Dr Oz's green drink a few times in my Vitamix, however, I didn't really enjoy the drink. It was too much like drinking compost - LOL. Most of the time I make vegetable juice using my juicer. Of course this way I don't get the fibre.

Thanks for reminding me about my Vitamix. I'll have to get it out and start using it again. Have you ever tried making bread in yours?

4. victoria

victoria New Member

if you go to vitamix's site, you can look up what model you have and get a new container.

Be prepared tho, it's not cheap, tho much cheaper than buying a comparable new one that is complete with base.
    https://secure.vitamix.com/acb/stores/4/Containers-C1.aspx?UserID=3514984&SessionID=Hup{LkNKcHuZeBTN12Lk
    1-800-Vitamix

I was just reading some sites, apparently now the plastic containers are being made BPA free starting with 2008, not sure mine is as it's a few years old now, the stainless steel one wasn't available ... so... I just hope it isn't leaching anything. I'll have to check, not that I want to spend a whole bunch more on it which leaves me in a bind.

Always something, it seems.

all the best,
    Victoria

5. simonedb

simonedb Member

I havent tried making bread, it seems like its like my macbook, can do a lot of stuff beyond my capabilities and needs!
    I don't do wheatgluten so probably won't be making bread soon
    maybe soup though...