VNS Therapy anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sierrasun, Apr 6, 2006.

1. sierrasun

sierrasun New Member

Hi everyone,
    Has anyone here tried VNS therapy? And if so how were your results? www.VNStherapy.com
    I had my doctor suggested this for me today along with prescribing Lexapro and Ritilan to try for depression and increased energy.

I had a total thryoidectomy in December after battling Graves disease. The worst of it was the Graves Eye disease I developed after months on the anti-thyroid meds to slow down my thyroid. The best way to stop the eye disease was complete removal of my thyroid to stop the high thyroid antibodies attacking my immune system and eyes.

This anti-thyroid med and surgery set off a severe fibro flare and chronic fatigue episode for at least the last 6 months that I've spent mainly in bed. They've increased my thryoid med Levoxyl and started me on the lowest dose of cytomel .5mcg. The cytomel seemed to help wake up my brain for an hour or two a day but not so sure it's working any more. I will see a Dr. Fredericks in with my endocrinologist's office next week as he specializes in Chronic Fatigue and I hope to find more answers then.

I couldn't try the new Cymbalta prescribed by previous PCP due to the high pressure in my eyes because of the Graves Eye disease that puts me at risk for developing glaucoma. I wasn't willing to risk my eyes even though the risk is supposed to be low. I had to have lasik years ago after my body rejected contacts and I battled constant eye abrasions and infections. My glasses were to think and heavy to wear and my vision worsed as the years went by. I now have 20/20 vision and want to keep it that way thanks to lasiks. This was after being legally blind (2 fingers off the charts) in one eye and 20/800 in the other. Thank You Lasik!

So now I'm going to try Lexapro and Riitalin to see how that will work but my doctor gave me an info pack and DVD on this VNS therapy which I have never heard of before. He wants to discuss it with me at my next appointment.

VNS for those that may not know as I didn't until today, is like a pacemaker to the left vagus nerve that is supposed to stimulate the central nervous system and areas of the brain that the production or activity areas of neurotransmitters such as seratonin and norepinephrine are located. I've never responded well to anti-depressant meds and feel my depression is more secondary to problems of FM and chronic fatigue and the disturbance that has had in living my life. But the psychiatrists evaluate me as having severe depression. I'm sure many of you have encountered this also.

I'm so desperate for any help at this point I'm willing to try anything. I also had a western blot Lyme test 2 weeks ago come back negative as I thought that Lyme was a possibility. I had numerous tick bites as a child and into my young twenties but no reactions that I remember. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thanks