Vocational Experts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Thee Ox, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

Does a voc expert look at EVERY case of every person who files for disibility? My doc wrote me a letter stating that I was perm disabled. Will a VE still examine my case?

Yer pal,
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Unfortunately, your personal physician's opinion doesn't carry much weight where disability is concerned. They don't want to pay if they can find a way out.

My sister-in-law has FM and her doctor wrote a letter for her stating that she absolutely "cannot" work. However, that hasn't stopped disability from trying to prove that there is something that she can be doing. She keeps getting sent to rehab, having in-home visits to see what she can and cannot do, and now she has to once more go for even more rehab and evaluation. This is after she was told that she was entitled to two years disability payments. They are still trying to find an "out".
  3. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

Really sorry about yer sisters plight. Why is SSA singleing her out so much?

You see, my DR did the same thing for another patient, wrote a disability letter, and that patient won her claim based on my doctors letter. So, that's the route I was going with. Plus I also have Sleep apnea, severe muscle spasms, post traumatic stress syndrome, nerve damage and I got struck by lightening June 27th, and that has made much of my fibro pain worse. Plus, I do have a few more symptoms - the more the better I was told.

I know the letter didn't help yer beloved sister, Lilea, however I wonder if such letters have helped others?

Anyone out there know of any stories supporting this?

Best of the best to yer sister, Lilea.

Yer pal,

PS: Does yer sister have a lawyer??
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2009]
  4. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

So that's the Route you're going with ???
    How would you know your doctor did the same thing for another patient, and that's how she won her claim? whoa !!!

I don't understand these postings of yours.
    Did your unemployment run out?
    Your posting about a part time job?

Yes, a vocational expert is to find work you are able to do.
    Keep in mind, approvals are evaluated.

5. jole

jole Member

I wasn't sent to one when I got my disability, but then that was back before the economy took a nosedive. I really feel sorry for the ones needing it now, 'cause it's going to be harder to get, in my opinion.

But I too was wondering how you know the doc's letter is what got your friend her disability. They don't tell you why you're awarded disability....at least I never found out. And if she got it simply with a letter from her doctor, it must have been a major fluke, 'cause the rest of us fill out paperwork like crazy, have a stack of documentation from a gazillion docs, lots of tests to rule out everything else, etc. And then the process itself takes on average 2 years to complete.

It's just not as simple as obtaining a letter from your doctor stating you're disabled. I hope you know you're in for the fight of your life. I was soo bad I had to have my daughter come and help me fill out the paperwork because I couldn't concentrate enough to do it, or even remember all my symptoms. She wrote part of it because I couldn't write a coherent sentence. Now I can write, I just can't walk....lol....

But, as with everything, each case is different.........many end up in court hearings........mine didn't. Don't think I could have gone through that, so I was lucky...............
  6. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I replied to you on your other thread:)

7. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

I know the letter helped cause the advocate wrote my doc saying so.

Butterfly - -I have had a zillion tests done. Been diagnosed by 3 rhumotolighists and my primary. Thats 4 drs who tested me for fibro and said I had it. Not to mention all the other illnesses I have that I have posted before. Do you understand now?

Butterfly, what is it that you dont understand about my posts? and what does this mean: "Keep in mind, approvals are evaluated."

I posted about a part time job as a hypothetical instance. problem with that?

You also said:"How would you know your doctor did the same thing for another patient, and that's how she won her claim? whoa !!!" Like I said, my dr told me and she showed me the letter from the advocate stating that, yes, the other patient had all the same tests done, etc, but my dr's letter sealed the deal. So, do you understand now? Your post seemed rude and condescending. If you cant help me, then don't post. And yeah, that's the route I'm going.

All I'm saying is that my doc wrote me a letter. Will that improve my chances to get approved. Short and simple question.

If anyone can relate and reach out with a yes or no, please do reach out to me. Please.

8. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

Also, please remember that I was also struck by lightening on June 27th. This made my fibro pain worse, and I have no feeling or strength in my left hand and hardly any strength in my left arm. My fog is also worse.

The lightening strike was reported to local police and I was taken to the hospital to the emergency room. The strike is all documented, too. It is not all here say.

So, cut me some slack Butterfly, ok? You have NO CLUE what I go thru every day and negative posts don't help.
  9. jole

jole Member

Perhaps Butterfly was like me....I don't know.....but I wasn't aware of all your symptoms. There are a few of your posts that I hadn't read until now.

I'm sorry for all you've been through, and yes, this is a very stressful time trying to get disability. I remember how much I relied on this board when trying for mine.

One thing that is very important, and I don't remember seeing it mentioned yet (could have missed it), is to be sure you make copies of everything....all the doctor reports, test reports, etc. A copy for SS, a copy for yourself, and even an extra copy for "just in case". You never know what might get "lost" along the way.

Most people try on their own the first time, and if denied then get a lawyer to fight for them. I was fortunate enough to get awarded on the first time. What a relief that was....to be able to afford the care and meds....but yet at the same time, being stuck with the label of "disabled" really hurt!

I wish you the best, and hope things work out well for you.......Jole
  10. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

Jole, I am going thru Allsup, an advvocate company that has been helping people file and win claims since 1968.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad that yer claim was awarded.
    Heres to you!!

Yer friend,

11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

My S-I-L did use a lawyer the first time around. This is the second time she has had to go on disability. Her FM did improve at one point and she was able to return to work for a couple of years.

You definitely do have more going on than my S-I-L, so, hopefully, you will win your case at the first go round. I've heard too many horror stories, here, and on other forums, where people have to go back two or three times before they finally win their cases. It just seems so wrong!