Voice Analysis?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Sep 27, 2007.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Due to the nature and content of some recent posts I am seriously wondering if anyone has had experience with the voice analyzers that are supposed to detect lying:) Do they work?

They are expensive, but if work, then might be a worthwhile investment. (Especially if I ever take up "dating").

There was a TV show last year that typically had two guys compete for a girl. Meanwhile her girlfriend was listening to conversations and analyzing for any lying by the guys and telling her when any lying ocurred (a lot occured!). And vice versa with the girls competing, etc.

What surprised me several times was how the women would pick a total liar over a guy who was honest.

Sociobiologically maybe it could be explained by supposing that women are impressed by guys that successfully lie and fool them. Perhaps thinking that the lying guy would be a better provider. Or am I just "thinking too much"?, Perhaps, the girls just thought they could have more fun safely with the liar(it was just a TV show).

( I think a general theory is that females are attracted to males that other females are attracted to.
    That way, her male children will be successfully attractive to females). Hmmmm, not quite sure what all this has to do with the price of gasoline or eggs.

Cheers, your puzzeled mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 09/27/2007]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

there are several factors... these topics have always been interesting to me, have seen so many people just pick the same type over and over.

From what I've read, it's generally firstly depending on whether one (male or female) wants to have a fling or serious relationship, etc, as humans overall tend to be drawn to certain types for reproduction & survival of offspring... so for women it also depends on time of cycle; also on how different one's genes are from another's, that's where they say they've found pheromones to be important.

They've supposedly found all these things make a difference in 'attraction', even to the point that people are attracted to different kinds of people at different points in their lives.

Also, here's an article I was just reading today:

* 26 September 2007 * NewScientist.com news service * Rowan Hooper

There's a video too at the website: "to remove complicating factors, researchers captured the expressions of men flirting in wireframe animation Watch the full-size video"
    * Andrew Clark, University of Bristol * Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour meeting

How do antisocial men manage to attract women? Or, to put it another way, why do some women always fall for bastards?

It seems that a little bit of flirting - smiling, raising eyebrows, nodding - goes a long way towards attracting a woman, even outweighing the negative effects of some men's antisocial nature. "Antisocial men can make up a lot of ground just by being flirtatious," says psychologist Andrew Clark.

When we meet people, we are not interacting with static images, yet such images are used in most studies of attractiveness. Realising this, Clark and colleagues at the University of Bristol, UK, became interested in facial movements - the quintessential ingredient of flirting - as a source of information for potential mates.

To tests their importance, the team filmed the faces of 28 men as they talked. To remove all complicating factors, the researchers erased the soundtrack, created a wireframe animation of each face, and standardised the face shape across all subjects. Women were then shown the animations, which were randomly paired with a written prosocial or antisocial statement, such as "I really enjoy helping old people", or "Old people bore me".

After viewing an assortment of videos, women were then asked rate the men's attractiveness in the context of either a fling or a long-term relationship.

In general the women preferred men who made prosocial statements, but the importance they placed on this varied according to whether they were interested in a short or long-term relationship. For those women more interested in a fling than a long-term relationship, the men who appeared most flirtatious were rated as more attractive, even if they had been paired with an antisocial statement.

A flirtatious man shows vigour and social confidence, both of which may reveal good genes, says Clark, who presented the work at a meeting of the Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour at Newcastle University, UK, earlier this month. It may also show they are more interested in sex. This might be why women pay more attention to flirtatiousness if they are thinking about a short-term relationship.

“A flirtatious man shows vigour and social confidence, both of which may reveal good genes”

"I don't think women like bastards," Clark says. "I think antisocial men who behave flirtatiously are either fooling women into thinking they're not really so bad, or they're actually demonstrating that they're not so bad."

From issue 2623 of New Scientist magazine, 26 September 2007, page 10

LOL and for your further edification, MrBill, they also have: * How to pick a perfect mate *

all the best,

3. therealmadscientist

Yeah,..... but why do some women always fall for the bastards??

Great article:)
    But not sure it really answers all the questions:)

Cheers, your Mr Bill

4. sisland

sisland New Member

Mr Bill
    Good point!,,,speaking from exsperience,,,this could be something to look into and learn more about!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

But it explains why at least sometimes we pick the wrong people to have relationships with....

Personally, if I were to start seriously dating someone now, I'd want to do a background check and encourage 'him' to do likewise... I might sound paranoid, but there are so many con artists of both sexes!

Hmmm maybe somebody should do voice analyses combined with background checks... anything else missing?

not-too-paranoidally yours,
  6. therealmadscientist

Don't forget the communicable disease testing!

Even known case of Leprosy in US have increased in last ten years(exact numbers in dispute). Stay at Home! Can't be too paranoid nowadays.

I always wondered why politicians made recording someone's voice without their knowledge a felony:) It would make voice analysis so much easier.

Ummh, Victoria, I looked up Marshall Protocol. Nothing unbelievable that I could find, though don't understand a fair amount.
    I'm wondering about using "non culture dependent PCR indentification" to identify pathogens. Apparently a huge number of organisms are being discovered nowadays with PCR/ DNA amplication methods....organisms that haven't been grown but are still proved to be present. Someone must be doing biopsies and looking for FM organisms, etc.

( I came across an estimate that only about 5% of fungal species have been identified.)

7. therealmadscientist

You are asking Me! What women want?

I don't know, I wonder if 500 years from now anyone will have a real clue.

I think Cary Grant and George Clooney may have it all.

Thanks for info on voice analyser use. I would go with voice stress analysis over traditional lie detector. I'm pretty sure that with some practice and training the traditional lie detector can be deceived.

In, maybe, only 10-20 years, probably the various various brain scan devices will very reliable. Though maybe only used by dictators or Homeland Security:)

The trial lawyers will probably keep anything that works out of the courts for another hundred years:)

Sigh, sometimes I wish I could use a voice analyzer on myself.

Your Mr Bill

8. therealmadscientist

9. victoria

victoria New Member

They're gonna have to first make things work on time!!!! Or very few will be flying unless they're taking valium maybe first!

I can't imagine standing in line for 3 hours or worse, having your planes (multiple) cancelled due to 'not enough passengers', and then having your voice analyzed?!? I remember being held over in Tucson for 8 hours rather than 4 due to the latter situation... I was resigned and relaxed, but, I didn't HAVE to be anywhere at a certain time on the other end, luckily.

RE the pcr etc... firstly, I can't imagine modern labs taking the time to grow anything, heck, the doctors rarely culture and/or look under a microscope themselves for the things they COULD be identifying, much less sending it off. I've only met 3 in my lifetime who have... the last was about 16 years ago. Bet they're even fewer in number now!

Yep the science behind the MP is involved... I did it because of the inflammation theory; and when I herxed, I was convinced no matter what that something was working!

all the best,

10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hey Mr. Bill - Do you know my exes? (Yes, exes, plural, don't go there!! LOL!)

After three marriages to "bad" boys I finally found the answer to getting past that. Instead of having a "courtship" that really showed me the bad boy side and got me completely hung up on him, I married someone I didn't know at all!

I met DH through the personnal ads (internet dating wasn't a big thing 12 years ago). We met on July 10, had our first date on July 14 and got married on August 14. That didn't give me time to find out he wasn't the bad boy I thought he was!

That was 12 years ago and I couldn't be happier! He is a complete turn around from my "type". Seems all those years I was going after the wrong "type"! Who knew!!

PS - Mel Gibson still couldn't figure us out even though he could hear what the women were thinking!!
  11. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

I married my husband on the third date. Same great result, 15 years and going strong!

12. Doober

Doober New Member

That and taking your husband with you when you go sweater shopping too????????

I am into my 15th year of marriage. I know she didn't marry for money or looks....lol

I think that people have an attraction to others based on the strong need to dominate or to be dominated. This could be due to their upbringing or childhood. Some learn what they see and accept for themselves and some fear it happening to them again and force their domination onto others. Others have relationships on the mutual and equal needs of love, companionship and desire for peace and harmony.

Some relationships interaction are also ethnic based. understanding someones background will go a long way to determine their future.
  13. Doober

Doober New Member

far as the voice analysist. This detects a change in tone of voice. We may not be able to detect the slighly higher pitch in someones voice, but a small machine can, same way with a lie detector machine, it detects the change in heart beat and blood pressure.

Both of these methods can be fooled by anyone who trains themselves to fool them.

So in finding love the only thing we can trust is our hearts and guts.
  14. Doober

Doober New Member

I agree on the self insecurities that we may have in ourselves to seek them out in others (This could hold true for many things, even some things when I was younger that I was looking for in life).

This is one of those things that there is just not one definitive answer to. Believe me, if we had the one answer, we could make millions off a 25 minute infomercial to sell a 1 page "Book of secret".....lol

But, that would make life a little too easy for us, huh???

Aaahh, but we can always hope for the easy answers in our lives, certainly save me time having to explains to my kids instead of using the "Because" that my folks used on me......lol
  15. Doober

Doober New Member

Yeah, it is frustrating. With all the tests and MRIs I get the "Well, it is indicative of MS but lets just keep and eye on it" So I just keep up with my neuro to make sure that we stay in touch for future MRI's. I however have not had an LP done yet and I will be asking him this on my next appointment.

I play alot of on-line poker (Play money of course) at poker.com. I refuse to put real money into these things on line. That I save that for the friends game. My music taste are across the board, depending on what mood I am in.. Eating good food, who doesn't love that now... unfortunately to get that good food it has to be cooked and believe it or not I cook as well. My wife does some of the weekday cooking, but I do all the weekend and a few nights of the week too. My only issue is that for the meals that bake or simmer for hours end up taking just minutes to eat (Unless I chew verrrryyy slloww).....lol
  16. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Some women like the challenge of trying to change the guy. Unfortunately for the guy, the minute he becomes what she changed him into----she moves on to the next challenge.

Some women like the thrill of adventure and the bad-guy image. I am clueless why anyone would deliberately date this kind of a guy. I can't imagine marrying someone who lies to you and is deceitful (spelling?)

The way I look at it is---what you see is what you get. You can polish the person's rough spots, but a ding in the pot will remain a ding in the pot.
  17. Doober

Doober New Member

AH HA, Finally the truth comes out about some women trying to change the guy!!!!!!! Us men have been warned by our friends to be careful......lol

That almost sounds like a "use em and lose em approach".....lol

I have been married for going on 15 years and I am still trying to learn the "secrets" and "codes" of the female species......LOL
  18. Doober

Doober New Member

is Lumbar Punture where they take fluid from the spine for testing.

My on line poker play is usually just for a max of 2 hours at a time nightly around 9pm EST, while everyone else is watching TV.

As far as cooking, I do enjoy it. I like trying new things and also being creative. I watch Iron Chef sometimes and get ideas there. Because of my upbringing I do involve myself around the house. Vowed to be the opposite of what my father did when I was young. So that just sort of stuck with me regarding cooking, dishes and raising the kids. I can't expect my wife to do everything. Like I said to someone else here, my thinking is I gotta give before I can take.