Volunteer work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reva727, Sep 4, 2003.

1. reva727

reva727 New Member

I just wanted to say that I have decided to start volunteering at the hospital two afternoons a week. I decided the afternoon would be best since I have a problem getting up in the morning. I hope I can do it with my back and sciatica problems. My thinking is that it will be good to get out of the house a couple of days a week and also the exercise will be good for me. Also, it will take my mind off of my problems and pain. It's something that I've always wanted to do so I thought I'd give it a shot. Wish me luck.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I've been thinking about doing something similar as I'm too isolated.

My first thought is, however, to avoid the hospital as I'm afraid I'd catch something else. But maybe I'm just paranoid...

Victoria
  3. reva727

reva727 New Member

Thanks for your well wishes. Some of the benefits of volunteering is that you get a TB test before you start then if you want you can get the Hepititis B vaccination and a flu shot if available for free. Also they tell you to wear gloves if you're working around patients.
  4. reva727

reva727 New Member

Thank you for your concerns. That was one thing that worried me but I did some checking and I could even get a paying job as long as I don't get paid more than 80% of what I was earning before I retired. So there shouldn't be a problem with working for free. Being exposed to disease is something I'm I'm not too concerned with since they take a lot of precautions and I won't be in that close contact with sick people.
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

What a great idea! I want to volunteer for the hospice program which cared for my Dad. I just need a few more months of healing since Dad's death. I know this will not only help me, but others! Good for you!

Gentle hugs,

Kim
  6. Cindy

Cindy New Member

Dear Reva-

Honey, I say GO FOR IT. If you are feeling up to it. I also do volunteerism, for Special Olympics. It makes you feel good to be giving back!

But as someone else said, be sure to not to overdo.

With much love,
    Cindy