Volunteering at the Library

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Well I made the plunge today. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I have been feeling so lonely and isolated that I decided to try volunteering at our little local library.

I was only there for 2 hours and I am really tired but learned how to check people's books in and out of the library in the computer system.

The regular Friday volunteer was thrilled and wants to give me 2 of her 3 hour Friday shifts a month so she can have a break! It sure didn't take long for them to jump at a new volunteer.

We will see how it goes. I explained in advance to the librarian that this is a trial for me to see if I can handle it.

Gives me first dibs on the books coming in! LOL

hugs Redwillow
  2. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Hi Redwillow,

I have been thinking about joining the Friends of the Library organization. I mostly go to the library that is up the road which is considered another city LOL. However my library in the city that I am in is about 10 minutes more of a drive LOL. I would like to join their organization, and I have a book that I want to donate too that they do not have.

I used to do the circulation desk as a living LOL so I am not sure about doing that part but I would like to do storytime and things like that. I just feel there needs to be more done in the library system to gain more people's interests in using the library's services.

Anyway I think I will do it after the holidays maybe. However I am thinking about doing it next month and taking part in the book sales and such.

[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

A person who is not able to work at a job may still be able to do a few hours of volunteer work a week. Volunteer jobs are sometimes more flexible than paid jobs, as well.

Most communities have a variety of needs. Good for you for finding one in your community and meeting it.
  4. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Sounds perfect - a quiet environment, surrounded by books, and the company of other readers.

Roseblossom
  5. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Storytime at my library is my favourite time to be there.

All those little ones sitting around the reader, watching her closely as she reads, soaking up the story.

And the adults in the library at that time to get books move around quietly, enjoying the atmosphere too.

I wish every child in the world had someone to read them stories every day.

Roseblossom
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

So glad for you and jealous. Getting a jump on the books coming in you are very lucky.

I am sure you will do great!

Best wishes,

Karen :)
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good for you! Let us know how it goes. I've considered this but just haven't had the energy to go through with it. lol Maybe that's a sign I'm not up to it right now.

Marta
  8. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. It sounds like I am not the only one who loves libraries.

Yes I love story time. I loved to read to my little ones. There is nothing like a sleepy head leaning against your shoulder while you tell a story.

I was so exhausted when I came home. My husband is worried that I have taken on too much.

I know I will enjoy being out with people I just suffer so much from sensory overload. So I will have to be careful.

Hopefully next Friday will be better as I won't have someone hovering over my shoulder.

hugs all Redwillow
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

That's really awesome! Great for you for jumping in there and giving it a shot!! I'm so proud of you!!! As long as you go at a comfortable pace and do shifts that you feel you can handle, I think it will go really well.

The library sounds ideal. So peaceful and quiet (like everyone has said!). Maybe I should try that! Keep us posted! Sending you hugs and joy.

Love, Erika
  10. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks everyone! What a wonderful group of friends I have found here!

I like the comment about packing a lunch to go to the library. I would be quite content to live either at a library or a used book store.

As long as I have a comfortable chair, food, water and of course a bathroom! lol I would be quite happy to be surrounded by books.

hugs Redwillow