Waaay OT: Being Overrun by Ants Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by findmind, Aug 30, 2006.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

Does anyone know how to get rid of ants in one's kitchen????

I've been battling them for 3 days, every time I turn off the light and go back they are all over one whole corner of the kitchen!!

ZILLIONS of them. I have so many bites, cleaning them off the wall and counter and even in the sink. I duct-taped every crack inside cupboards over counter; caulked all under cupboards against wall and on top of backsplash!

They keep coming..I am so tired I could cry, don't know what to do, don't want to poison us with chemicals in the kitchen!

Any solutions, you smart ones out there?

Not feeling any hope right now,
    findmind
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I had a problem with ants and also did not want chemicals.

Some one here mentioned Cinnamon.I sprinkled on the ants and in a few other spots.It worked.

The take it back to the nest.It burns there feet I guess you can call it and they die.Try it.

Good Luck.
    Sue
  3. chickadee

chickadee New Member

but it works......

Dig a trench about 3 inches deep all around your house then "plant" moth balls about every six inches. Since that is outside and the moth balls are covered with dirt it should't be too toxic. (Been a long time since I did this but I remember when I did it worked like a charm. Never had another ant in the house.

Those already in the house might have to be sprayed or squished but don't think any more will come in.

Peace,
    Chickadee
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Seems to me that I've heard that Baking Soda across their
    paths disrupts the scent they use to navigate (A Theory)
    They go back to there nest to get their little gas masks
    but there are never enough for all of them. As a result,
    many die of starvation!!

Another practical idea is to "accidently drop" and Ice
    Cream cone next door of your neighbors property. They
    we leave your place Pronto!!

If I have any other ideas later, I'll keep them to myself.
    Oh, no!!
    MRDAD
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

HI FM

Where are you? My mother got rid of ants by sprinkling whole cloves where she saw them. This worked in MN.

It does not, however, work in California. There are various theories to explain this, some of them involving Governor ARRRRnold.
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

Thank you, all...I'm going to kitchen.

Put bay leaves around, sprinkle cinnamon (however, this is on that counter, and they still come around it), CANNOT dig a trench, thank you so much anyway, find the one piece of chalk I have somewhere, buy some oranges (can't eat them, citrus kills me), get Raid (BUT, should I spray it in kitchen?!?)

Then baking soda in a line around backsplash,

Go buy ice cream (don't dare have it in house, DP gorges on it), drop some over fence (nabor never goes on that side of house, goody),

Steal the ant's gas masks and sell them on ebay....thanks for the great money-making idea, mrdad!

Pray for me, I'm so tired and cannot take this much longer...I'm telling you, my gold colored countertops were BLACK for 5 square feet!

Thank you all,
    I'll keep checking to see if any more ideas...

findmind
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Just put the motels down and in a few days you won't have an ant problem anymore. The motels are safe for pets--cats and dogs. I don't know about a ferret or something that might really mess with the things.

This has always worked for us with any type of ants and we also use the roach motels and that does the job too. I don't believe in using poisons either, but this works and fast.

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

really do work. I was having an ant problem and out of desperation bought one of the plug-in devices that supposedly keeps bugs away. It worked!

Now I have several of them around the house.

Linda
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

Faye, I will get some Raid ant motels tomorrow.

eeyoreblue02, I'm sort of afraid of plug-ins, and the chemicals they emit into the air I breathe.

02sleep, Injector tubes? Is it a clear color, my cupboards are a honey color, and need some to be on outside of them, in a cracked corner.

We keep a very clean house, cupboards are clean, dishes may soak for an hour or so, but no longer, etc., so I think its just water they are after! 45 days without rain for us...

Crickets? Maybe some wire hoops so they can play with them and leave you alone? If they jumped on me, it would be the end of me, LOL. Be brave, dear one.

Thank you all so much. I'm "in the process", and if it doesn't kill me, I'm going to get rid of these buggers!

findmind
  10. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

and we are halfway across the world from you.

I think it is a fiendish plot on their part to take over the world........

You could also try borax. It is also good for cockroaches I believe.
  11. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I signed up with Terminex, it helped with carpenter ants. But those little pesky ants still keep a coming in the kitchen. They spray some kind of poison in the wall, they had to drill a few holes, very small. It works for awhile, then they come back, I don't want to keep calling them. They come four times a year, and do outside the house, and inside if needed. But, I don't feel like having them in the house to often. I will try some of the ideas I have read, thanks!!

Good Luck!! SB
  12. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi findmind,

We have tried everything from Ant Poison, Motels, Ant Baits, and spent so much money for none of them to work, at least for us anyway.

Our area is very sandy and ants are everywhere but there are a few different things you can use that I found to work.

Spray vinegar around the entry ways and even when it drys the residue will keep them away.

Dawn Dish Detergent (Blue) They hate it and will not cross it.

Borax powdered detergent - I got mine from the hardware and it helped for quite a while.

Try wiping down your countertops with lemon juice or lemon based cleaner. It keeps them away. If you put lemon juice or lemon based cleaner around your outside doors the ants will not try to come inside.

The best thing we have used is 7-10 dust though and it just has to be sprinkled around the outside perimeter of your house.

Hope this helps.

carolin
  13. findmind

findmind New Member

Here's what worked so far:

Oven Cleaner Spray foamed up and crystalized on cupboard crack...

Bay leaves in every cupboard, top and bottom, and in all drawers...

cinnamon in spices and cereal cupboard: they seemed to want to be there...

borax all under base of cupboard under kitchen sink...thanks, juliannag

seven dust all around outside of house...

ant bait traps in every cupboard...

Now, will get the vinegar in a sprayer tomorrow...thanks dncnfngers..

Dawn dishsoap seems to be magic, will get it next, thanks carolin

Suzetal, lindyl39, mystic brit, dainty 45, everyone who helped me, my deepest gratitude!

What a message board!!!!

Love ya all,
    findmind
  14. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

I've been battling ants all summer too. Those little piss ant types.

One thing I found that worked was baby powder. They don't like to cross the line. But you do have to clean it now and then I've found. lol

We tried those little ant trap things, where they go into them take out the poison and take it home. Suppose to kill them all.

All they did was move to another room and come out someplace else. So now we are going to put ant stakes around the house and pray that it works.

But the baby powder does work to keep them off the counters at least. I just poured a line around the back edge.

Twinks :)
  15. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Glad maybe you have things under control! You are such
    a good sport accepting all the suggestions even my silly
    ones. Go ahead and eat that Ice Cream Cone if ya don't
    think your gonna need it!

Let us know on the A.M. how things went overnite.
    MRDAD
  16. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

be careful with mothballs if you have pets. They kill dogs and cats.

I usually find them coming through the window sill or under the door...they are sugar ants (piss ants is their old fashion name) they just looking for something sweet...or a crumb.

White vinegar mixed 1 part vinegar to 1 part water is a great disenfictant for the counters. and if you can spray ant poison without endangering pets do that both outside and inside along the ant highway!

Have fun and be glad they are not FIRE ANTS sheeewwwww that would have been a nightmare!
  17. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

sprinkle it down where they are traveling...and it will burn their little legs...and die...i have taken toothpaste to plud the holes or cracks...they don't like the mint.

did it in old military housing...

jodie works great for fire ants too

18. findmind

findmind New Member

So far!

Don't know what's doing it: the ant baits, the bay leaves in all cupboards, the cinnamon, the lemon juice wiped on all cupboards and counter tops, the cleaning and scrubbing, or my swearing at them!

Have finally got my kitchen back together; you should have seen the kitchen table, covered in everything from the cupboards and counters.

Geez, I'm so tired, and the costochondritis is terrible, but we'll live to see another day, darn it.

twinkles49, thanks, will use that baby powder in bathroom, I love the smell.

stormyskye, am heading outside NOW, with vinegar in hand, mucho gracias.

mrdad, the choc. ice cream didn't last long enough to put any over the fence; am going to store to get another gallon!

woodstockmusic, another vinegar reply, wow! Thanks.

69mach1, why are they are all over my toothpaste on the bathroom counter????

dncnfngrs, I LOVE expanding foam...am going to get some more for separation taking place between concrete patio at back door (RIGHT BY kitchen, BTW!), and foam the bejesus out of them, Thanks!

When this comes back up to top of posts, please, that's enough now, never thought I'd get so many replies, and I'm too tired to thank you any more, LOL!

Love ya all,
    findmind
  19. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I live in UK and in summer we used to get the ants all the time...found loads of nests outside that had been there for years...they drove me mad coming into the house and crawling up my legs....yuk!And we tried all kinds of stuff but could not shift them.

THEN....I tried...... BOILING HOT WATER!!!!!!!!!!

Every time I saw them I would boil pans and kettles full of water and throw it on them!!!It worked for me and it means I dont have to use chemicals at all.I go outside to see where they are all coming from then spend a while just doing this every time I see them til they are all DEAD!!!!

I think boiling water would kill just about anything really lol.
    Please try this one even in the house.....u can throw the water on them then just clean or mop up.

Good luck
    RENA

20. Kay31

Kay31 Member

When your last posting showed all your remedies, I figured that all you need now is a partridge in a pear tree.

I've had flying ants each year near my entryway. I went nuts trying to get rid of them. Finally had to call someone in to spray the area. They didn't come back this year, thank God.

Hope you don't get "too antsy" over this issue.

K
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2006]