waking all night long with a huge jolt!! Aghhhh

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bratqb, Aug 8, 2003.

1. bratqb

bratqb New Member

Hi

I dont know if anyone else suffers from this, its driving me slowly nuts!! It only started in the last week...

Just as im drifting off, my whole body seems to jolt. Sometimes its really violent, and the whole bed shakes. My poor partner was woken all night long by me last night. It must have happened about 20 times.. I feel so so guilty this morning, he must be as shattered as i am....

What could be causing it? Is it a common symptom of fibro?

Thanks, soft hugs

Bratqb
    xx
  2. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

Hi Bratqb,

I was just DXed with myclonic jerk.

I totally know what your talking about. I can't get to sleep or nap because of these constant jerking type muscle spasms! It happens through out the day too. I'll be on the computer reading and my arms will start twitching. Or I get like a small shock in my head or shoulder.

I get the jerking pretty much every night (and at nap time) and almost everyday. I thought it was a reaction to MS Contin because it only started after I strated this medication.

YOur not alone,

Rachel
  3. bratqb

bratqb New Member

Im not taking any supplements at the moment, i had to stop them. My stomachs not tolerating much for some reason.. hope to restart them when its settled down....

Praying for a 'jolt' free night tonight, else i fear i will be sleeping alone!!

Bratqb
    xx

4. RedB

RedB New Member

It is just a muscle thing, and will not harm you. Klonopin is the drug that will help, and it sounds as if you need it to keep your poor partner sleeping peacefully.

Be careful, though, as it made my brother very grouchy. If Klonopin doesn't work, let me know, and I will find out the drug my brother was switched to. It also works.

Kathy
  5. catsii

catsii New Member

I swear I believed I was snoring and jolted myself out of sleep because of it ! I've mentioned too many times, i blame each little malady on the fm...and past week or so since i joined this board..have figured out i'm not giving fms the benefit of 2 or 3 other symtoms ! Like we need more to add to it !
    Next week when i see dr again will certainly report this and see what he can come up with for me!

As always, thanks for sharing and good luck and hugs to you great people !
    catsii
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2003]
  6. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

It seems to increase when I'm feeling anxious, too. Klonopin has mostly cleared it up, though.
  7. bratqb

bratqb New Member

for that guys, looks like its yet another fibro symptom then.

Ive never heard of that drug kathy. Saying that, im in the UK so maybe its called something else here... is it worth mentioning this to my doc when i see him next?

Im glad its harmless though, being jerked awake so violently does tend to worry you a bit. You wonder if theres something wrong with your brain! Other than the foginess that is... LOL

Thanks all, youre wonderful!

Bratqb
    xx
  8. Therrell

Therrell New Member

I'm glad that you asked this question. I have this and sometimes it is so hard of a jerk that you make a sound like someone has just hit you in the stomach. I agree that it's part of the FM and the Klonopin is the best for this.
  9. Therrell

Therrell New Member

I'm glad that you asked this question. I have this and sometimes it is so hard of a jerk that you make a sound like someone has just hit you in the stomach. I agree that it's part of the FM and the Klonopin is the best for this.
  10. jkd7058

jkd7058 New Member

I was having a really bad time with the "total body jerk" waking me and I had the added problem on tendonitis in my foot. During the day my foot would feel good then at night I'd get those jerks and I'd pull the tendon in my foot again.

My podiatrist (?) said it sounded like night seziers - I started back on my neurontin and no more jerking. Now my foot is finally healing.

11. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Happens to me all the time, about 3-6x before I get to sleep and then all night long, I usually wake myself up with it. My poor hubby was having such a hard time sleeping with me doing that all night long, so I moved into the spare bedroom, it has been about 2-3 weeks now and I must say it is wonderful. I just finished redecorating the spare bedroom and in the process I painted the walls a very dark periwinkle blue. It is a lovely room, looks like out of a Martha Stewart book, the walls being that dark make it very dark for daytime sleeping and napping, funny how that happens, I never imagined when I was painting it that it would be mine in short order but the fact is that my hubby is 6'4" and I am now a little bit over 200# (thanks to this dd and all the meds), both of us being large in our different ways contributes to the fact that we were extremely crammed into a queen size bed and we did not realize how we both had been sleeping with this preoccupation to stay on our side so as not to wake the ohter, well, no we realize that a Queen bed is not made for people our size, that is what a King bed is for. So now we happily sleep apart and I herk & jerk & growl all I need to. My whole body just heaves into the air, or my arm just wigs out & reaches up for something, not sure what but it does.

The blue walls are the smartest thing I have done in a long time, makes for the best sleep.

Jaci