waking up gasping for air

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

latley I would go to bed drift off to sleep and about 20 mins or so later ikinda jolt awake gasping for air and this is freaking me..almost feels like I am forgetting to breath when I am sleeping. I have had this before but not as often as they are getting. has anyone had this before? any help would be great.

Ann
  2. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

This could be sleep apnea. My husband works in the sleep disorders field, and this is how his patients do all the time. You may need to have a sleep study.

Do you feel anxious when this happens, like you are having an anxiety attack? It could be anxiety too.

Do you sleep with a partner? Do they notice you snoring or stopping breathing in your sleep?
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

When I was younger, I used to have dreams where I was being smothered, and I'd wake up gasping. The covers would be over my head, and I'd be in a complete panic.

That said, the other poster is right. It may be a good idea to talk to your doctor about what is going on.

BTW, there are two types of apnea -- obstructive, where the tongue or soft tissue of the throat collapses and inhibits breathing, and central, where the brain/diaphragm message is not getting through clearly. A sleep study can tell the difference and also the severity.

If you are taking any medications, or had a glass of wine or something before bed (or even at dinner), check to see if any med you have is a depressant. This may also be making your breathing a bit lazy at night.
  4. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My husband has sleep apnea but he won't go for a sleep study. I hate the strain it's putting on his heart, but until he goes there is little I can do.

I would encourage you to have a sleep study as soon as you can.

abbylee
  5. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

can cause gasping for air. Since it is happening right after you lay down to sleep the first thought I had was acid reflux. This might be something else you need to consider.

Linda
  6. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I see my Dr on Monday and I will talk to her about that and see what she suggests. my husband does say I snore but he said he has not heard me gasp for air but then again he is a heavy snorer and a heavy sleeper too.

Ann
  7. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

Mycoplasma Pneumonia.
    i had this too, and ihave both of the above. just another thing to check for.
    karina
  8. 1horse

1horse New Member

sleep apnea... get a sleep study done..sooner the better.. peggy