Waking Up in Pain During the Night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Sep 25, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hi all:

I have been having a problem lately. I am waking up in the middle of the night with extreme pain. I have to get up and take pain meds. This is all new to me. For years I never had this problem, but now I do.

Usually I wake up at 1am or 2am.

Any advice on how to get through the night with the minimal amount of pain.

nyrofan
  2. m5shelly

m5shelly New Member

I just take a time-released pain med before bed with a glass of milk, and Gabitril for my restless legs. If I don't, I will sleep for awhile, then wake up with pain, and I am up for hours.
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

sorry you are going through this. I hope you feel better soon.

I have been doing this lately. Mine seems to be mainly in my hips and legs. It doesn't matter what position I sleep in I always become awake with the pain.

Mine is a deep bone pain--is yours? It started only when pressured was applied now it is waking me up.

I think it may be due to pressure on my hips--not sure.

Sometimes I can hardly lift my right leg and when I do it hurts so bad it brings tears. Is yours anything like that?

I thought I would ask--because I think I remember you posted something about bone pain on one of my threads didn't you? I might be mixed up though--I do that...LOL

I have taken pain medication at about 3:00 am the past 2 nights. I take Darvocet N-100 1-2 every 4-6 hours.

Sorry I don't have any advice. I am going to try sleeping with a pillow between my knees and see if that helps me.

If you are having the same problem you might give it a try.

Take care of you,

Karen :)
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I think most of us here have had this experience. What kind of pain meds are you on-prescription or over-the-counter? I have prescription pain meds and take them an hour before I go to bed to give them time to work. I also take Gabitril for my restless legs syndrome at the same time. It really helps me to do this.

I am fortunate that I have a doctor who is willing to aggressively treat my pain and I have been on Kadian (morphine) for two and a half years which helps my sharp, shooting pains but unfortunately not the dull, achy ones. So I still have times when the dull pain wakes me up. I go to bed with ice packs and put them on the places that ache the most-it numbs the area and helps me get to sleep. I almost always wake up in the night and have to get more ice packs from the freezer, but I usually get back to sleep fairly quickly.

I also sleep with pillows under or between the knees and ankles depending on how I am sleeping. I invested in a very comfortable mattress and prefer foam pillows. Other pillows get so flat and are not comfortable for my neck and shoulders. I also found a pillow that fits comfortably under my neck-one of my worse area-it hurts all the time. I also have a sound machine to drown out any noise since I am quite sensitive to sound.

My husband and I sleep in separate beds and have for several years. We both sleep much better now. It makes the times we are together more special.

That's everything I can think of. I went for years hardly sleeping between the pain, restless legs and bladder problems (I have interstitial cystitis which I have improved by about 80%. Eight to ten trips to the bathroom during the night made sleeping impossible along with the pain).

Oops-this is getting so long, but I hope I was able to give you some helpful suggestions.

Ellen
  5. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

Sunday I over did it. Went shopping with my grandaughter.
    (2 year old). I was in so much pain in my leg and hips Sunday night I could not sleep at all. Monday I went to our local spa. I did an ionic foot bath and the Alpha Spa.
    Last night I had no pain and it is the first night in years that I slept through the night. I am sold on the ionic foot bath. It drew out so much gunk from my feet you would not believe. The bottom was covered with grit.
    I know the machine can turn the water colors whether your feet are in it or not, but it can't produce a quarter inch of gunk.

Hope you feel better soon. It's hard when you can't sleep.
    I know.

Kayleen
  6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It took such a long time to figure out a way for me to sleep at night. I will tell you what helped me. I have severe leg pain (I thought I had bone cancer), restless legs, pain in joints, and GERD.

First I had a sleep test and then we started working on sleep issues. The doctors said that we have to achieve sleep to heal our bodies.

I take a small doses of Mirapex for RSL, a low dose time-released pain medication, Klonopin, Trazodone, & 50 mg Lyricia. None of the above meds worked until we added that very small dose of Lyricia.

I worked and worked on my bed. I found that if I only slept on my back, I had less pain. That kept the pain away from my shoulders and hips. I already had a good foam pad but I started adding lots of feather pillows. I actually sleep on the pillows. It keeps your spine from hurting so badly. I even have a pillow for my feet but I still can't get that pain under control. I also use several pillows for my head & shoulders so it is more like a recliner. This helps breathing, GERD, and it keeps you from moving.

I bought all cotton clothing and bedding. It helps with the night sweats and heat intolerance.

I use relaxation tapes to help me go to sleep and if and when I wake early I play them again.

Also a nice warm bath in salts help before the bath and a major factor is that I have trigger point massage therapy on a regular basis.

This is not perfect but and I still wake early with pain and breathing problems but it is much better than the 3 to 4 hours of restless sleep I was getting.

I hope some of these ideas will help you. I know how miserable it is to hurt that bad. Also my CFS doctor said it is normal for us to wake at the very time that you said you wake each night. It is like an internal clock goes off.