Waking With Early Morning Headaches Goes Away After I Get Up

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by greatgran, Aug 23, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Many mornings around 3 to 4 am I awake with a bad headache between my eyebrows, most of the time after I get up it goes away. Sometimes there is nausea and ears itching and the ringing is louder.

My allergy testing came back negative so not sure what is going on. I have thought of Sinus, Neck problems but I have no neck pain, Low Oxygen, my blood pressure is fine . Everytime I go to the doc I forget to mention this , since it goes away after I get up..

Any suggestions ? Thanks,
    gg

2. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

is there anything that you've been eating/drinking of doing before bed that you think may have something to do with this?? maybe keep an eye out on what you're doing before bedtime, it may have an affect of why you're getting headaches at 3 or 4am. just a thought!
  3. lobojen

lobojen New Member

I have had the same thing for as long as I can remember. In fact, my mom says that I have woken up at 3am ever since I was a baby! I'm 25 now and was just diagnosed with FMS in April 09 and so I've been doing lots of reading to figure this thing out. I found in "Fibromyalgia For Dummies 2nd edition" something interesting about this 3am wake up with stomach nausea:

"Cortisol is an important hormone that's secreted by the adrenal glands in a circadian rhythm. Most of your cortisol is produced early in the morning (around 3am), but dips to low levels in the evening. It maintains blood-pressure, blood sugar, and other important biological functions that help people cope with stress.. Studies indicate that some people with FMS have abnormal circadian rhythms of cortisol secretion resulting in low levels f cortisol during daytime (making them feel fatigued) and to much cortisol at night (causing insomnia).

So I think (but am still waiting to talk to the doctor) That I get a huge shot of this cortisol at 3am and it wakes me up no matter what time I went to bed and I'm usually very nauseous and do have headaches as well. maybe this could be your problem too?
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Babyk, Lobo and Jamin.. Babyk , I can't seem to put the headaches with things I have eated even though I can't rule it out either.

Lobo, my Cortisol is low of the morning and high in the evening just the opposite of what it should be but not sure what to do about it. Doctors are clueless.. cause the blood cortisol is normal but the spit test showed the low and the high.

Jamin, Thanks so much for your advice on the vitamins I ordered them and so far having good results.. The Grapeseed I know hasn't hurt and one reason it probably isn't working is I forget to take it regularly, will try to do better as i do think its sinus and even though my allergy testing showed up negative I do doubt.. as with everything..

Thanks and God Bless to each of you,
    gg
  5. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I have gotten a lot of relief from using a saline solution for my sinuses before going to bed. If you do have a sinus drainage problem like I have, the saline solution will help keep mucous flowing. At least that's what I was told. I mix a little salt with warm water and rinse my sinuses with it but you can buy a solution with only water and saline in a little squirt bottle. This keeps me from getting morning headaches. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2009]
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks gb66 I use a saline solution daily, the ENT told me to use it at least 4 times a day must admit I forget sometimes but always use it before going to bed and when I get up. I tried the Neti Pot but seemed to plug my ears ..

Glad the saline works for you,
    gg
  7. kgtexan

kgtexan New Member

I dealt with this for years. Doc treated me for everything from low blood sugar to sinus/allergies. My massage therapist suggested it was from grinding my teeth at night. The pain is referred from the jaw muscle up to the eye socket area. I had no neck pain, just pain in the sinus area.

Sure enough, I got a mouth guard to wear at night (specifically a NTI...it is FDA approved for migraines) and I haven't awakened with one single headache in the last year after having them at least 4-5 times a WEEK! It is wonderful. Not all dentists are familiar with this particular guard, so you may have to call around a bit.

8. coolma

coolma New Member

can be a result of the meds you are taking before bed. My sleep meds were causing terrible headaches last year. I had to cut them in half, and the headaches disappeared. Just a thought! This doesn't start when you initially take them, it comes usually after you've been taking them for awhile.
  9. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I now take one Sinus Excedrine before I go to bed or if I forget I get up and get one upon pain. Best and only thing that works. When you get these put our hand on top you head and see if the top of your head or forehead feel very cool to cold.

Mine is, so I figure it is from sinuses.
  10. Abaco

Abaco New Member

Be careful taking Sinus Excedrine too often. It can seriously damage your liver. That is also true of Tylenol, Advil, all the OTC pain killers. Be sure and read the label.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Start running a humidifier at night or I wake up with dried out nostrils and a stuffy head.

Love, Mikie
  12. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I wake up with headaches, too. Usually mine hurt not exactly between my eyebrows but above my eyebrows in the center of my forehead. Also at the base of my skull but only on the left side. It goes away after I get up, within an hour I would say & like you, I never think to mention it to my Dr. because - it goes away when I get up!

For awhile I thought it might be due to the ceiling fan blowing on my head but that didn't seem to make any difference.

One thing I did discover is that when my head hurt like that & I took my blood pressure right away it was high. If you have a B.P. cuff you might try taking your blood pressure right away to see if it's high. Mine was always back down by the time my head stopped hurting so I think that must be what it is.

Good Luck!
    Tyne
  13. MJSLawrence

MJSLawrence New Member

I wake up with these too a good majority of the time and every once in a while, a couple times a year anyways they become severe migraines. I've just gotten used to them but I also have the sinus issues a lot of posters here seem to have so maybe the saline solution is worth a shot?
  14. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

I have had this for a long time as well.....including migraines. one thing i did was visit a natural healer and found out i had impaired liver function--many times people,especially Americans(poor diet, toxins,etc)wake up at this time because the liver is detoxing at this time. I also found out--an acid stomach can cause this. Getting a little food or yogurt in me and walking around or sitting upright helps.
  15. coolma

coolma New Member

had the same. cut my night meds in half and the morning headaches stopped.
    can be caused by other things too but rebound headaches are quite common.
    cold, heat, incoming weather changes, rain....seems to trigger the morning headaches too. good luck! worth it to try reducing the meds first or changing them. also, have a good migraine med on hand for the whoppers. I do.