Walikng sticks/canes - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HuggyMummy, Sep 9, 2003.

1. HuggyMummy

HuggyMummy New Member

I have just purchased a very inexpensive stick-stool, for occasional use. However I have no idea how to use it as a walking aid. Had been wondering myself a few days ago as to the correct manner in which to use such an 'instrument' should I ever need to, and saw a post saying how important it is to use one correctly.

So please, any info regaring this gladly rec'd:)

Hugs
    Ruth
  2. Harper

Harper New Member

I use a cane. I spoke with my physical therapist. Most of the time my left hip hurts. You are supposed to use it on the opposite side of the pain. So I use it in my right hand. When I move my left leg out, I move the cane out. It takes a little getting used to, but the cane does help me walk long distances w/o totally wearing out (somedays!)

XX OO - Harper
  3. HuggyMummy

HuggyMummy New Member

for yr reply. I've been watching several folks using a cane and thought that might be the case, but couuldn't be sure.

I have OA in my r knee, which gets pretty sore if I have to walk long distances (long to me that is - no doubt 'just a little way' to others!).

We did a daytrip to Paris recently. I had a small tripod stoll, which was invaluable for both myself and my MIL. When I saw this one that doubles as a cane, and at a real good price, I couldn't pass it up:)

Thanks
  4. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I used to use a cane but can't manage very well with it any more since both legs go all wobbly on me if I walk very far. I find it much easier to get around with two forearm crutches but the basic idea is still the same, and that is to walk as normally as possible. With normal walking, the right arm is swinging forward when the left foot is stepping forward and vice versa. I walk exactly the same way except that when each arm swings forward, it has a crutch attached to it. This way my right arm is taking some weight off my left leg and so on. This is why you hold the cane with the arm opposite the bad leg, because the opposite arm is the one that naturally swings forward with the opposite leg. I hope I haven't made this too confusing. It's much easier to do than to explain.

There is one thing to be careful of. When I was using one cane, I seemed to get a lot of back pain. I think it must have been due to leaning too much to one side, because when I started to use two canes the pain became less and when I switched to the crutches, it went away completely. I've been on crutches for about 10 months now and haven't had any serious back pain since. I'm not saying you shouldn't use a cane. Just be alert for this problem.

Hope this helps,

Hugs

Jackie
  5. HuggyMummy

HuggyMummy New Member

I myself have noticed people using canes and leaning v heavily to one side - I felt that it could well cause more problems than it solves. I prefer the idea of crutches, but finances prevent them at present. Will only makeuse of the 'cane' in emergencies - more likely to make more use of the seat that's attached to it:)

Thanks agin
    Ruth