Walking can be hard but are you out of breath?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I know with FM/CFS it can be a struggle to even walk up the steps some days, but do you find you are out of breath? Just wondering if this is a different issue. I get so winded by the smallest of things.
    Any Input?
    :) Kim
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I have CFIDS, and I find walking to be very difficult. I find that when the weakness and fatigue are very bad, I get extremely winded when doing anything physical. Even just walking across the room can have me feeling short of breath. What an awful feeling, isn't it?

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. notthtblonde

notthtblonde New Member

Kim

I get out of breath from doing sometimes the smallest things too. It is so frustrating!! Yet another to add to the loooooooong list of things we must deal with.
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Even though it hurts to walk up and down my stairs, I never used to get out of breath. I have to go downstairs to take a shower. I just finished my third round of antibiotics for a upper respiratory thing and ear infection. Even though I don't cough any more, I get out of breath walking up and down the stairs. I couldn't figure out if it was some damage or if it was a Fibro thing. I hate to keep complaining to the doctor.
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you all for responding... I feel bad for you, but a little better knowing I am not crazy. If I have to walk up the steps to grab the phone, my husband will think I just ran a marathon. Sometimes, by the time I get up there, I just don't answer because I am so winded... It's ridiculous.
    I guess I am not alone, thank you again.
    :) Kim
  6. stagename

stagename New Member

i think since we excercise so little, we can't help but be 'out of shape' when we do any cardio work. i'd mention it to the doctor to be safe, but i don't worry about it.
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

With the little amount of exercise we get, we're bound to be out of breath when we go up and down stairs or exert in any way. At least that's what I find.

I find that it helps me to do some deep yoga breathing.

M.
  8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I don't walk upstairs anymore, i crawl on my hands and knees! So discouraging.

Yes, I do get out of breath. If I do too many things, I am just panting. Hubby doesn't seem to be too concerned as he gets that way too.

i didn't have the AC on this afternoon and I got winded and felt smothered. Got it on and all went well.

I would LOVE to exercise more but my back and legs won't take it anymore.

Oh, the trials of FMS!

Gentle Hugs

Joan
  9. painandagony

painandagony New Member

We're buying a townhome and I had to make sure at least the master bedroom was on the mainfloor, cuz i can't be going up and down stairs all day long.

10. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

Me to. I ended up in the ER, that is how bad mine was but I was having shoulder and chest pains also. I had all the workup and stress test and x-rays and my heart is fine but my gallbladder wasn't ended up having surgery and pain in chest is gone but still short of breath. I can't even walk to my mail box without getting winded and I can't shop anymore or do gardening or much of anything without getting winded. My doctor feels I am out of condition and need more excercise so I am trying to move more but so scared they are missing something. I noticed my shortness of breath when I had a bad fall last summer and was bedridden for 12 weeeks and now it is there pretty much anytime I excert myself. My doctor did not say that it was part of fibro. I just wish it would all go away...I miss the old me.
    I hope you get better and find out what is going on.
    Lillyrose
  11. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I get very out of breath going up stairs, or walking up a hill. I do aerobic classes 3/4 times a week, but I have to do everything low impact or I get out of breath and my heart rate gets too high.

I though it was because I am overweight, but remembered I was in the best shape ever in September 2004, and I STILL had this problem.

Kinda glad to know it's FM related. I was afraid I am going to die of a heart attack! (High cholesterol)

take care ya'll