Walking difficulty anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Does anyone have difficulty walking , especially longer distances? I wonder if it is due to fibro or something else? And when I go to a store I have to have a cart to hang onto or I don't feel comfortable. Anyone else with this problem?
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have the same problem. Even if I just run (LOL) into the store for a couple of things and have one of my kids with me I still need a cart. Long distance walks are not something I would even think about right now. My fear is if I make it there can I get back and since my family has no cell phone I can see myself being stuck in that place for a long long time, so I just don't do long walks....SueF
  3. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

I have trouble walking a long way or other times I walk a little bit and just tip over,
    I understand that this is a normal thing (at least in my fibro book)
    I hope this helps a little,you are not alone in this.
    Take Care,
    Mary
  4. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

a cane now. It makes me feel old and crippled and people look at me funny.

Suzette
  5. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

That's what started my 3yr. odyssey to find a dx.I suddenly couldn't walk a few feet without my feet and legs cramping.DH said I was just out of shape until he walked with me and it was obvious something was very wrong.2EMG's and lots of other tests show nerve damage.So the start of all this was a dx of Sensory Neuropathy that came out of the blue and led to Sjogren's and Fibro.My Neuro suspects there's going to be more but bloodwork shows nothing so far.
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

I can only stand for MAYBE 10 minutes, some months, only 1 or 2 minutes. Walking is SLIGHTLY better than standing still. This is due to weakness, in hips and legs. Also, pain in hips. It sucks.
  7. janieb

janieb New Member

Firbro started 15 years ago. I also have hyperflexibility. With the fibro I lose my balance and the other flattens out my foot so I'm walking on bone and tissue.

Even had surgery on my foot when the doctor should have kenown it wouldn't help.

Use a cart when shopping and experience significant hip pain. My rhume tells me it's not the hips, but severe arthritis in the spine causing the problem.

Good luck.

janieb
  8. glafdy

glafdy New Member

I can relate to having difficulty walking. I also can't stand long enough to make a meal, can't walk through a store, and can't sit in a chair without fidgeting and getting up at least every 10-15 minutes.

I have had fibromyalgia for about 25 years. But I think most of my back problems stem from osteoarthritis in my spine, with degenerative disc disease causing spinal stenosis. I had laminectomies done on 4 lumbar vertebra 3 years ago. I walked better than I had in 18 years. Three weeks after the surgery I had a severe blood infection and was on the strongest IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. This infection undid all the good that the surgery had done.

The walking has been getting worse lately, so I had an MRI done a couple of weeks ago. The 4 vertebrae that were operated on 3 years ago have now collapsed and I have scoliosis in my lumbar region. I now need surgery to repair that - probably fusion in the lumbar region.

I never dare walk without a cane. I am the biggest "klutz" there is when it comes to walking or standing up. I have more black and blues on me because of the times I forget to have my cane with me - mostly in the house. I always remember to take it out with me (actually I have 2 canes and keep one in my van).

My suggestion is if you tend to trip alot, please use a cane because using one can definitely stop a fall. I also find when I am tired, using the cane helps me to stand up straighter and lessens the pain. (The same principal as using a cart or something else to hang onto.

My sympathies go out to any of you suffering from severe back pain. It is not an easy thing to live with every day.

Glafdy
  9. foxyred

foxyred New Member

I have this problem too. Without my cane or a cart to hang onto I tend to wander to the left when walking. Hardly ever go right, don't know why.,
    foxy
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    Yes, I have great difficulty walking.
    Every step is a challenge, either because I'm exhaustd, or because my feet are very painful.

I think mine is cause by a combination of Diabetes, CFIDS, Fibro, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Some days I can hardly make it to my mailbox, which is about 80 feet from the house. Getting back to the house is a real chore.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this, too. The scooters at stores are a real blessing, aren't they?

Good luck,
    Terry

11. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I have CFIDS and fibro. I don't have trouble walking due to pain, but rather orthostatic hypotension and low blood pressure. Everytime I stand it takes me a few minutes of clinging to the wall before I can get going. And when I'm walking, I get dizzy and lightheaded very easily. It's a scary feeling.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

With a walker maybe a short time in the grocery store.I have a wheelchair for the count fair,malls,etc, I use the electric carts whenever I can.linda
  13. molly2

molly2 New Member

i seem to be very similar to you rick, feels like i've walked for miles everyday, only way to describe it. I also take shorter steps and drift around a bit, very frustrating as i used to walk at least two miles with the dogs and am too scared to ride our ponies!
  14. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I also have spinal stenosis and it is awful!!! I hurt from my waist down to my toes. I have had 2 epudural - none worked. I have had a nerve block - it didn't work either but will have another Wed.

Dr. said it won't work, then will have radiofrequency on my back. Here's praying for some ease.

Now to walking. I do OK for just a bit.Then I stagger. i do fair with a cart but better inh grocery where they have electric carts.

I occasionally go to a soon to be Macy's and naturally, nothing to help me. i try to take my cane. I get so much pain i wonder if I can get out to car.

Shopping used to be fun - now it is agony.

I stagger some in the house to so try to hand on to things as i go be.

Careful walking to all.

Joan
  15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

for more of you hard to walk
  16. fightforacure .... I guess I am like what you said" When I walk normal, it takes way too much energy out of me, and causes me much pain, so I walk like a turtle, and slowly, and disjointed like. " I feel like if someone was watching me, they would see I walk funny. I too walk to the left, once a man was watching me and I could not help it, but walked to the left, and felt dumb. I think alot has to do with my spine, hip area.
  17. jole

jole Member

Most days it's more like a shuffle, limp, stagger with a lot of hanging on to walls, furniture, etc. I think we could come up with a heck of a dance!!!

My legs mostly feel like jello. It's just hard to keep them straight, and very fatiguing to walk more than a short distance. If I walk through Wal-Mart(which is rarer than rare) my muscles go into severe spasms that last for several days. That's when I tend to fall.

I'm getting very close to trying a cane. Only thing it would hurt is my pride!

Friends - Jole
  18. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I was walking okay for a few days last week but then this morning I was trying to get out bed and I fell on the floor. My legs and feet were just hurts so much, and they felt like hard sticks that I was trying to move.

My poor cat LOL. I was trying to walk over him because he was in the way,and refuses to move if you are trying to walk over to where he is and well you guessed it, my other foot did not make it, and I stepped on that cat and of course he screamed. He is okay, but just really mad at me.

I managed to walk to the mailbox and back, but I was wobbly and almost crashed into my neighbor's car.

So I have stretched and walked around a little, but mostly have spent my time working on school projects today.

I know mine is due to the fibro and I just hate it. When my mom or dad recovers from their colds, I will ask them to go for a walk with me. As I am afraid that I will lose balance and fall again.
  19. jarjar

jarjar New Member

All of you need to be tested by the ignenex western blot for lyme. The majority of FM patients as well as CFS are misdiagnosed lyme patients. I was in my lyme docs office recently and met a guy that had been to see my doc for one year. He said when he first came into the office he had to walk with a cane. A year later when I was in office he was walking fine without a cane....Something to think about.
    love to all
    jar
  20. annabella39

annabella39 New Member

I always use a cart. It takes some of the pain away. I have terrible cramping in my butt due to my super tight and knotted muscles pressing on my siatic( I know I spelled that wrong lol) nerve. It's brutal and can drop me to my knees in no time flat. I feel your pain =(