Walking - Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2float, Sep 27, 2005.

1. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I know we are supposed to exercise so I have tried for several days to walk around the block.

Well, now I am in a flare, my legs are driving me absolutely crazy!! I have been doing really well this summer so I thought I would try walking but is it really worth all the pain??

Should I keep it up for the benefits of exercise and suffer? What do you think?

I am so frustrated with this pain again, I couldn't even go half way today!
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

This sounds counter productive. Why not try some gentle stretching exercises instead, doing a little at a time & resting between each one?
  3. honkers

honkers New Member

I've tried to exercise at home on treadmill but get worse after too. What do you mean by your legs driving you crazy? The reason I ask is that as well as the aching pain in my legs I also get a prickling burning sensation in my feet and lower legs after a short period of walking -do you or anyone else experience this?

It really is frustrating becuase everyone says "use it or lose it" and your muscles need exercise etc etc. All well and good until you try!!!
    Pauline x
  4. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I try to walk every day - used to do 3 miles, not it's more like 2. Maybe you started with too large a goal and are suffering because you used muscles that had not been used for a while.

If I don't get my walk in, I am very, very stiff the following day.
  5. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I use to be an avid walker, it rally helped my back and my sanity. I can't anymore due to pain in my feet. I do exercises in a warm pool 2x a week. It is so much easier, and at least I am able to get my muscles moving. Give it a try if you can!
  6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Walking is well worth it, at least in my experience! When I first started walking, around the block was way too much for me - like you, I'd flare up each time I'd try to walk that far. It was frustrating, to say the least. But I was determined so

I began by walking half-ways down and back my drive-way and discovered I could do this little bit without throwing my body into crisis. I did this every day for six months then started adding distance (I added minuscule distances every 4-6 weeks) to my daily walk.

Learning to walk was a very long process and for the first year I hated every step of it, but once I broke through all that jazz I began to enjoy it immensely. I still use a walker and move slowly but I manage 6-10 blocks on a good day.

Walking helps keep my pain manageable, my weight under control and my spirits lifted. Even though this illness has made a near-hermit out of me, my daily walks give me a sense of being connected to the world.

If there's any way you can find it within yourself to remain determined, I would encourage you to continue walking. By making small goals and taking small steps, walking can become a positive force in your life. My best to you,

Anne Theresa

7. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Do you have CFS or FMS or both? I was just reading something Dr. Tietelbaum had written on the mitochondrial defects in CFS-- exercise can actully be damaging to a CFS sufferer with the mitochondrial defects.

Just a thought- I found it on this site, so if you check it on the site search, it should be easy to find.

Good Luck!
  8. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i do a little on some days and more on others but there are times i dont go at all,(poor dogs)

do you see what im getting at,did you take on too much at once? too fast maybe?]

my pace is very slow and sometimes i sit and rest when my house is a normal persons two minutes away.

do you have a car? drive out to a local park or picnic area and have a gentle plod.

i look at excercise like this, think about what you feel like doing and then do half, that way you could still have some go in you for later as opposed to letting the fatigue suck it all out of you.
  9. Mirabella

Mirabella New Member

On another CFS/FM forum that I read, group members started a "Walking Club" and all reported their progress every day in private message sessions, i.e., "I did my walking today and did fine" or "...couldn't walk as far today, but went as far as I could" etc. BUT--they all started by walking only ONE minute a day for one full week, then added only one minute per day each week for fifteen weeks. The ones who faithfully hung in there and walked every day for the fifteen weeks could then walk fifteen minutes daily without problems after working up so gradually. I wasn't part of that walking because I was too debilitated, but I've found that whenever I do try to start getting more active, one or two minutes is the limit for me at first--after that it becomes counter-productive. The big lesson--do not overdo.
    Nova
  10. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

During our winters ... long and cold in Canada EH ! .. little joke there .. in any case .. yes .. walking on the treadmill ( sensibly if I can hold myself to that promise ) makes a dramatic difference in my mental attitude ..

I may suffer physically from doing a bit too much, but the long dark winter can make me feel very deppressed and trapped.

I suffer in the cold even bundled up .. grocery shopping a few errands can do me in, so walking out of doors is not an option ...

What I'm trying to say .. there is good advice on here .. not to over do it .. a little almost every day or other day or when ever you feel you can do it .. the point is that it makes a mental impact.

The exercise is good for us .. tailored to each individual's requirments and comfort ..

BUT it helps us mentally, to feel like we accomplish something beneficial and it clears the cobwebs out of our minds and improves our outlook .. I'm thinking most of us suffer from seasonal disorder and more prone to deppression in those dark winter months ..

So look at it as a form of medication in a way perhaps .. sometimes it is unpleasant .. you have to adjust the "dose" .. but it will do good in the end !
    Good Luck ! Fudge : )
  11. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I just had a major pain attack in my upper legs that lasted 3 days. I overdid. I usually do not suffer like that. I had pain trying to sit and stand and go up and down stairs. I increased the magnesium and soaked in the epsom salts for magnesium. I am guessing it helped. Thankfully it was a Sunday on the 2nd day and on Monday, I had to work this way. I do home-health so I just did what I could and skipped whatever I could not do. It was painful!
  12. luv2float

luv2float New Member

Thank you all so much for your posts.

I guess I have tried doing to much to soon. I'm going to reduce my distance and build from there. I don't want to give it up, I agree, the walks really do me good mentally.

This summer I went to the pool a lot and would walk around, this helped me tremendously and didn't bother me much.

Since walking on the street, I am having constant muscle pain in my legs and hips. My calves feel like they are on the verge of spasm all the time. I have fibro and CFS.
  13. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I agree if you have FM keep walking but if you have CFS don't do it. I started out walking just 10 minutes 2 times per day very slowly. Now I walk 4-5 times per week for 30-50 minutes at a brisker pace. I am also doing very light strength training 2 times per week.

I started in Feb so it has taken me a long time to get to this point. Just start very slowly and gently stretch before during and after as well as when you go to bed and get up. Good Luck Lynn
  14. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Usually if you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome exercise of almost any kind is going to make you feel worse. We don't get those endorphins (I'd been looking my whole life for those suckers).

If you have just fibro then light exercise, such as walking shouldn't be a problem... unless you push yourself too much and too far.

That is one of the huge differences between the two (the FSand CFS)

Hope you start to feel better.
    Tigger
  15. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I’m not convinced that even CFS suffers should completely give up exercise unless forced to. I think it is important to maintain whatever degree of fitness you may still possess.

Start with a very short distance and increase it a little each time that it does not make you feel worse until you find your limit. Stroll, don’t power walk. Once you find your limit, you will probably be stuck there until your CFS improves. People with CFS generally cannot built fitness. And there is the possibility that your walking limit is zero.

Even walking across your lawn to a lawn chair, sitting for 15 minutes, the walking back will get you some fresh air and sunshine, which is need for vitamin D.

Stretching is a good thing to do along with walking.

As for the feet and legs, do you need better shoes for walking on pavement? Maybe you need more calcium, potassium and/or magnesium.
  16. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i have cfs,fm and a kind of arthritis and i still like to excercise,i walk with my dogs attend dog training and i am about to start swimming again.

you cant just give in because you have cfs, of course im not saying jump on the treadmill and run but dont just give up.
  17. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

were you walking on? I am able to walk around my neighborhood for 35 minutes, but I cannot walk on hard surfaces like concrete-it makes my hips and legs hurt. I walk along the road on the grass. Also, I have to walk on flat surfaces-no hills for me. Just a thought.

Ellen
  18. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

Please walk!

It does more for you than you know, we must keep the blood cirulation going...it helps with bowel movements and the fresh air brings in the oxygen into our muscles.

If your doing to much cut it down and slowly move to do more! It can be very hard, I know how hard it is some days...like most days....it helped me drop weight was the best thing...

19. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i walk on tarmac if i can and i try to avoid grass.

i find walking on grass tires me double time.

want nothing more than to grab my dalmatian and go for a good fast run, i spose a waddle round the block is better than nothing :)
  20. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I have had ME/CFS for over a decade and my ability to walk flunctuates greatly: however, I have found that I am more likely to be able to wander around a shopping centre - where there are lots of chairs and a flat floor - than I am able to cope with walking outside in the fresh air - even though I love fresh air: I have a greater sense of security in the shopping centre and can walk further. Something to try? But please take care - my well-intentioned attempts to walk regularly have FREQUENTLY resulted in relapses.