walking sticks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lillieblake, Aug 1, 2008.

1. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I have always liked the idea of walking with sticks. I even made myself a walking stick from a downed tree limb.

My significant other has had a hip replaced and needs another one replaced. I think he could walk with sticks too.

I need to have one knee replaced.

Walking would be good for us. We both need to lose a lot of weight. He is in pain after walking a short distance and has to sit down. I think walking with a stick would eliminate or lessen this problem.

Plus, the more we do it the stronger we both would get.

There are a lot of great walking paths in our area, through woods and by the river.

I don't want to go alone because I might get dizzy and fall or something.

have any of you walked or hiked with sticks before you got sick?

Any ideas how I can get hin to do this with me?

I really don't want to do this alone. Thought about taking my dog and cell phone, but the cell phone is dysfunctional because I don't have any money to pay for it right now.

Thanks. Think maybe I was just venting but I really want to do this.

2. Willow97

Willow97 New Member

Hi Lillie,
    I started using nordic walking sticks a couple of years ago, before I got sick...I recently started again and find that I can walk alot further with them than, without them they help support you when needed, and also you get a whole body workout. Apparentley you can burn I think 30% more calories than without them.

I walk with a good friend when I can, it's alot more fun that way. We certainly get some funny looks though, because they look alot like ski poles.
  3. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I see people with the ski pole things walking all the time - alone and with others - guess it's the latest trend!

Lillie, can you walk in highly populated areas in case something happens?
  4. padre

padre New Member

Walking sticks are helpful and lessen the pain in my hips as some of the effort is transfer to my arms. I use both the ski pole type and a wooden one.

The more I walk the stronger and better I feel, although just after I go I sometimes wonder.

The sticks help with balance, work like a cane but are not a cane, and can be used in case of meeting an unfriendly animal.

By the way, Lillie, if you live in the United States (could not tell by your bio) your cell phone still works for 9-1-1, if charged. Most all are programed to be used even if not connected to a specific carrier. So, take it with you.
  5. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Just start without him, maybe someday he'll join you. Follow what your heart is telling YOU to do.

Padre is right about the cell phone, if charged up you can call 911 without a telephone service.

Use caution about taking the dog, my sister just broke her arm walking the dog; he pulled on the leash when he saw another dog...

Take care
  6. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I have one and LOVE it......coleman sells them at K-mart for 15.00 and they are adjustable and aluminium.

do it yourself...less headaches. you can always take signal flairs with you . you can get those at an auto parts store.

7. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Thank you all so much for all the good ideas. The Bridge to Bay trail is going right by my next door neighbor's house, so I will not have an excuse NOT to go.

Yup, I can use 911, will go without the dog, and without the man. And I can handle $15.00 for the pole.

I'm on my way. Yeah!

Love, Lillie