Wandering Threads

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I would like to propose that people not worry too much if the comments they post in a thread do not exactly match the title, as long as they are vaguely related to the subject and are in response to previous posts in the thread.

For instance, it does not seem wrong to me to discuss information about headaches in a thread about vertigo. Often they are part of the same syndrome.

Similarly, discussing various types of detoxification in a thread on activating glutathione usage seems more than appropriate.

In many cases, topics that do not seem on the surface related at all may be helpful when discussed together. All the pieces of our illnesses fit together somehow, and to take the position that they shouldn't be discussed in that manner might end up causing us to miss out on a lot of valuable information.

In other words, I personally hope that people won't stop posting thoughts that might be of value even to one or two people reading a thread. We each need all the help we can get!

If others disagree, please share your own views, of course.

Thanks!

Best, Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 03/17/2007]
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

It's always possible for the original poster to change the name of the thread if the discussion starts to broaden.
  3. JoaneWing

JoaneWing New Member

You are so right!
  4. roge

roge Member

well said Lisa
  5. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I think that we should all feel free to contribute.

I also feel like, IMHO, that if we have knowledge to share, we should be able to do so. I have posted on anemia threads about Celiac's b/c that was my only main symptom for many, many years, and my going undiagnosed nearly cost me my life.

I certainly hope that information has not been viewed as a "nusiance".

Bunny

6. desertlass

desertlass New Member

If it weren't for the tangents, there would be so many things I wouldn't now be piecing together. For instance, I posted to someone about an article, and I got a full education on about two or three topics that has my brain spinning.

Maybe it's the brain spinning sensation that is difficult for many. Hmm. I'll think on that one, to see how we can deal with the format of this board which I find enormously frustrating. Not the people-- the experience of navigating it.

Has anyone discussed the possiblity of getting a new format? One where you can reply to specific replies, rather than the first post? You can be alerted in your inbox when someone replies to your post? You can contact someone by email without needing to know their address? Posts are categorized along the side, and all recent ones on any topic are at the top of the category, along with a general folder for those that haven't been categorized? There is a resident "expert" with an FAQ built from the database of posts? This technology does exist, but I guess enough people would need to prefer it. For instance, someone recently asked about a certain procedure and they were told to do a search on it, as it had come up many times. So, I did that, and all I got was the recent post asking about it, no matter how many ways I tried to search it.

I am so grateful to the people who take time out of their lives and illnesses to run this one. I'm just wondering how much they would like their job on here to be easier as well? I'm not criticizing their work. Only trying to explore ways that some of our communication issues could be addressed. I don't want to pester the moderators about this, if everyone is already satisfied.
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Face-to-face conversations tend to branch off in one direction, then another. I don't see why these on-line conversations should be any different. If someone adds something new to the conversation, I think that they should use a title that reflects the subject so that it will show up in future searches.
  8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I often find that when I peruse a thread which caught my attention in the first place, someone says something that clicks with me, and I begin to put an idea together which I hadn't thought of before. Thanks, Lisa. Marie
  9. blkkat

blkkat New Member

so true lisa!!!! some days im so sad i just need to jump into a post . one cause i see names that ive talked to before, its nice to keep close to some of the ones that post back to me, it makes me feel needed and loved isnt that what we all would like? or am i just crazy for how i feel? please feel free to post what you think. GOD BLESS--- BLKKAT
  10. Well we may start off posting on the thread about the subject, then with our fibro fog we may ramble on off subject, not intentionally ?
  11. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I just sort of scroll through the posts/replies if it looks like it is starting to get off track.

I have learned sooooo much in a thread that I went into for something else ;-)
  12. clerty

clerty New Member

to help one another and Lisa you are so right whats the big deal if someone does not agree sure beats sitting on the sofa feeling sorry for yourself nothing like a good bit of banter to keep us going!!!