Want to ask Doc for Anaprox, would there be a problem?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hello Everyone,

Along with my FM, I also have bad bulging disks in my L5,L5 ans sacrum. With this, I getterrible lowback and spine pain, along with deep pain in both hips/buttocks, with the right hip/buttock and thigh pain as the worse.

I am currently not on any prescription meds. I had decided the other day to take Aleve instead of Advil. Advil does help me with my migrain pain if I catch it on time, but Advil does nothing for all the pain from the disk problems.

I had taken an Aleve and my pain was much less. Not gone completely, but it was better to my surprise.

A friend of mine told me that Aleve was similar to the presctription called Anaprox. I did not do a research on this drug yet, I wanted to ask about it on this board since I value so many opinions here.

I see an integrative doc who is not big on meds. I also am not a big fan, I usually react to most like Paxil, Elavil, Vioxx, Zanaflex, Zoloft, etc. But, I didn't have any bad reactions with the Aleve. So, my friend told me I should just ask for Anaprox since it's stronger than Aleve and shouldn't be addictive.

I have stayed away from Vicodin or Percocet because I am afraid of dependency and the side effects of these drugs. My doctor knows how much I try to handle my FM without prescription meds because of the nasty side effects from them, so, I am a little hesitant about asking her for this med. Has anyone been on Anaprox? I'm pretty sure this med is an NSAID.

I also have costochondritis which has been kicking up a lot with me because of the weather change we are having, the Aleve helped that as well, but of course not completely, I still had to use a hot water bottle on my chest for the last 2 days. Anyway, I am not in the habit of asking for pain meds, but I just can't deal with the pain anymore. Thanks for listening. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'll let you in a on a secret... Anaprox is the same thing as Aleve (naproxen sodium I believe). It's just a higher dose, it's prescription strength.

So if you are fine with Aleve, go for Anaprox because like kjm said, it's not a narcotic it's an NSAID so you probably won't get any resistance from a medical person.