WANT TO CHOP MY LEGS OF WITH PAIN, HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by juliejo, Dec 28, 2005.

1. juliejo

juliejo New Member

Went out in the Christmas Sales 2 days ago and took my sticks as i knew i would be crushed with my wheelchair.
    Now paying for it. Never been in so much pain in my thigh's legs and feet that i am just sat here crying they are aching so much.
    I have tried everything to get some relief, warm wheat bags, cold packs, pain meds till they are coming out my ears.!!!!. Can't get in the bath as have no upper body strength either at present.

Only went out to please my hubby as i am sure he must be so sick and fed up with me going on all the time.
    Thing is all he said was " WELL AS LEAST YOU GOT SOME FRESH AIR". Feel like stringing him up too.

I have got some Transtec pain patches from the Gp's. Morphine based but i know i will be so out of it and once again my hubby will be fed up with that as well.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent my frustration's with this horrible unrelenting pain that never goes away.

Juliejoxxxx

2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

(((Juliejo)))

......hope you will be feeling a bit better soon.Tell hubby that's what happens when we overdo things instead of pacing ourselves, then take those painkillers!
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I know exactly where you are coming from. We do things that we regret later.

I do love Sue's answer though!!!!

I hope you get to feeling a bit better - make that hubby of yours help you in & out of a warm tub, tell him it is his job to shut his mouth and run the bath. lol

Thinking of you.
    Kelly
  4. lolee

lolee New Member

when I am uncertain of my ability to get out of the tub this is what I do:

I get a plastic tablecloth, the cheapy kind from Wal-Mart that have felt on one side plastic on the other . .

I lay it plastic side down on my bed. Then I run hot water in the sink and get like 4 or five cheapy bath towels, you know the thin kind that are too small to go around you (well ME anyway LOL) I get the towels pretty wet squeeze them out a little just so I'm not in a puddle. I go lay down on the table cloth, usually just my hips down to my legs , cover my legs with the hot towels and wrap the table cloth around me, don't tuck em in just bring up the sides over the top. sit back and relax, I usually do this with the candles and the soft music going. REALLY helps!

Luv,

Lolee
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2005]
  5. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I wonder If you should use your sticks more. I use forearm crutches, which I would guess are the same thing. I've been using them for over three years and full time since August. I think they cut down on the leg pain unless I overdo it like you probably did. Since my legs are kind of weak and not very steady, I think that walking without the crutches made my leg muscles have to work much harder, just to steady me and keep me from falling. The extra muscle effort is part of the cause of the leg pain, I think. I noticed improvement in the overall leg pain after I got the crutches. The more I used them the less pain I had. I think it was just pride, since I'm only 31, that kept me from using them all the time, but I paid for my stubborn days with a lot more leg pain, especially in the evening. Unfortunately I had a bad flare last summer. It only lasted a few days but it left my legs weaker. I haven't been able to walk more than 2 or 3 steps without the crutches since then. I thought that would be just temporary but it's been almost 5 months, so I think I'll probably have to be on crutches permanently. Even though, I find I have less leg pain for the same amount of walking, and I still walk quite a bit, shopping, going out with friends, etc.

I don't know how much you use your crutches or even if you can walk without them, but you might find that using them more would prevent at least some of the leg pain, just by making your leg muscles not have to do extra work trying to keep you steady. But please use the 2-point or 4-point crutch gait or your arms will revolt and the leg pain will move to your arms!!

I'd like to know what you think.

Hugs

Jackie
  6. juliejo

juliejo New Member

Thank's everyone for being there for me.
    Yes Sue, you gave me a laugh. Seem's like we have the same sense of humour.

Jackie i am thinking of getting crutches instead of stick's so will keep you all informed on that one.

I too can't seem to do any walking at all now as i pay for things big time now with my legs.

I also managed a bath last night as well, byt husband was flippin hopeless. We both ended up laughing in the end.

Thank's again.
    Take care all of you.
    Juliejoxxx
  7. cupimick

cupimick Member

Dear Juliejo,

After reading your post, please know I can really relate big time.No one knows what its like to be in our bodies and have the leg pain so bad that you would rather chop them off.

I have said this to my hubby so many times,especially the last 9 months of an unending flare that was caused by traumatic stress from a family member.

I was doing pretty well up until April and now my legs and also my arms kill me. My legs are worse and its hard to get people to understand that if your are in such severe pain that doing shopping which I loved is killer.

How we are so cheated out of living our lives with this DD. It really sucks!!!

I tried to do a little walking in the supermarket last night after being bed bound for weeks. Today, I doubled my pain meds and they cannot even take the edge off.

So please keep your chin up, I know its hard. Lets hope 2006 is a much better and pain free year for all of us.

Gentle Hugs,

Deanna
  8. shep

shep New Member

I know exactly what you are going through; except my hubby does everything he can to help me.
    I don't have any cartlidge in either knee, so walking makes my legs swell twice their size when I walk any length of time at all.
    When my legs hurt they get very cold. I purchased a bathtub seat and I sit on it and run hot water over my legs for half an hour or so and that seems to help, since I can't get down in the tub. Oh, what I would give for a hot tub.
    Also, I am on the medication Reequip from the doctor and it has helped some, it increases the circulation in the legs. It might help you, it is worth the try. Also, when my legs hurt so, I take some extra potassium. Sometimes our potassium can be low and that causes cramps and pain.
    I don't know what kind of insurance you have; but if you are on Medicare it will pay for you a scooter..and your regulare insurance if you have any might cover it also. It is worth checking into it.
    I am thinking of you and remembering you in my prayers. There is nothing worse than pain that goes on and on and we are down and out and don't get the encouragement we need from those around us. I would be tempted to say to hubby, "remember the for better or worse; in sickness and in health'? well this is it ..time to step up and show some compassion. He may just feel helpless and feel inadequate in being able to help you. For a long time my hubby just acted like there was not anything wrong with me and it came across to me as being uncaring. We had a long talk and he said it hurt him to see me in so much pain and he didn't know what to do to help me, so he just withdrew from the whole picture. I told him he was right there wasn't anything he could do ...but be there and talk to me and let me know he cared.
    I hope things get better for you. Get some lotion and ask him to rub your leg, and ask him to go get you a glass of tea or something and brag on him and maybe things will get better in your communications.
    I am in no way taking his side, don't misunderstand me on that point. Just trying to think of somethings that may make your time with him more bearable.
    Remembering you in my prayers,
    Shep
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Does it seem to others that there are certain days(seasons) when the leg pain is worse? Maybe we should do a straw poll sometime and see if there are times when we all are suffering at more or less the same time despite climate, or maybe all the worse leg pain people are in cold weather/or hot weather? Maybe it is just when we push ourselves to do more than we know we should. We were leaving by the beach for a year last year and every time I went into the salt water I felt great-maybe numbed with the cold but I felt the salt water(negative ions helped) I call my leg pain chart as thus:

Pain
    Horrible pain
    Screaming Pain
    Torturing Pain
    All Pain Beyond Belief( or APBB for short)

Only those who know, understand.
    Get better soon and ease up on yourself.
    Cromwell
  10. ksc

ksc New Member

I know- chop off hubby's legs instead.
    what about some pain meds and maybe some clothes soaked in epson salt, peroxide and water as warm as you can stand. I don't know if it will work- but when I soak in it, it sure helps ths pain. If the pain meds help- take them.
    I don't know if you can get him to read it- but a good book is one called"Living With a Chronic Illness". It comes from the patients view- not the Docs. It deals with issues of the patient, family and friends. There is a chapter for just the spouse to read. I've loaned it to a number of people and it has helped them.
    You have to take care of yourself. Maybe next time use the wheelchair and if hubby complains tell him how it makes you feel when he talks to like that and that it affects how you feel. Says something like" I feel belittledand ashamed of what I can't do when I'm forced to do something that I know will hurt me later.(or how ever it makes you feel) I need you to let me set my own limits since I know what I am capable of doing".
    Who knows- he might listen.
    I'm sorry for your pain. It stinks and life isn't fair.
    Kathy
  11. Noralyn

Noralyn New Member

ME TOO!!!!!!!!

Ditto

Noralyn