Want to work part-time, but I have question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, May 18, 2003.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I work in an office, and my work is certainly not hard or stressful, but just getting up and going to work every day is such a huge drain on me. I've even begun nodding off at work no matter how many hours i sleep at night. And almost every lunch hour is spent lying down in the conference room floor or in my car. I want to ask my doctor to let me try working 3 days a week and see if this would help. But my question is can I get fired for this or does my employer have to comply? I certainly can't afford to get fired no matter what, but I would really like to try this arrangement for a while to get if it helps.

Any one done this? I know some of you know a lot about the laws governing this things so I would really appreciate your help.

Hugs
    Annette
  2. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I appreciate the info and I'll check it out.

Hugs
    Annette
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I had to have my doctor write my employeer a letter due to the fact that I could not handle a 8hr shift. I do not sleep well and am so tired. I now work everyday 4hrs per day driving school bus. Some days I have a hard time making the 20hrs per week. I feel guilty and worthless when my co-workers ask when I am coming back full time. At this time I do not even know if I will have a job next year as each scool year we bid for new routes and each route is at least 6-8hrs. The district would have to make up a specific route just to accomadate me. But, if your employeer employs 15 or more workers they are required to accomadate you under the ADA guidelines. This is where it becomes tricky...the guidlines are good but there are loop holes. Go to JAN on the web Job accomadations network they have a sample letter to give to your employer that will be helpful for you to see. Also give them a call! Believe it our not you get a live person everytime you call. No getting lost in voice mail. The counselers are very nice and helpful!
    good luck and keep us posted.
    Judy