Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cromwell, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

IF there are any good gardeners there who can advise me I would be grateful.

We have a small side border we cannot even see, that was neglected for years and has to be cleared of maples and an oak tree that are about four feet or so high, so we can get them.

Amidst this mess, are some nice roses that look to be about five or six years old and are in bloom.

We also planted in some pot bound roses in April just because the soil was loose there, and they are small still, though one has a flower.

I would like to move the lot over to my new rose garden area where I have the soil all prepared.

Will I kill the older roses doing this (the new ones were very cheap so I can risk those plus they have only been in the ground two months if that to save them_)

Shall I have to wait till fall to move the others. One is tea rose bush, the other is a climber about 3feet high with several blooms.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Love Annie
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I think I will try the first method!!! The roses are crowded in a small area so I may have to take some short cuts. DH says, "Just leave them where they are and get a few new ones!!!" I guess we could do that IF we can get the little maple and oak trees out of there.

Love Annie and thanks so much
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

It is the trees that are doing the crowding the roses are spaced but the border is only about15 ins. wide then against the house.

4. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Did you dig up the roses yet? If not, I have some ideas for you so just give me a holler. I'm not a "rose expert" but I do have about 10 roses myself and I'm learning as I go and I did have to move a rose bush so I could give you some pointers as to what worked for me.
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Holler!!! Annie
  6. monica33flowers

OK, this is what I did last year to move a rose bush before the heat of August and it did live so I'm hoping the same for you. But let me tell you I am by no means an expert. I've just been piddling around with roses for about five years ande most of what I've learned is self taught.

OK, here we go. First I want you caught the rose back about 12 inches or so from the base of the plant. I know this is really hard but it will be much easier on the plant since it won't be sending any energy to the blooms --- it will just be focusing on growing.

After you have given the rose the haircut it is time to bring up the shovel. I prefer using a spade. Your are going to make a round circle from the base of the rose about 16" or so --- better to be more generous than not. You want to transfer as much of the root system as possible.

When you transfer the plant make sure it gets a really full sun well drained spot.

Also, when watering the roses whether new roses, transferred roses or even existing roses also give them a nice long drink of water. I take my hose outside and have a nice low trickle of water coming out of the hose. Put it at the base of the rose and let it sit their for about 15-30 minutes depending how much of a stream of water you are giving the roses. Roses love a long drink of water much better than just a sprinkling with the hose and this will also help against black spot or diseases with overwatering over the top of the roses.

OK, i hope I covered everything, Annie. But if you have anymore questions just holler and I'll be right here for ya!
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

tom,both of you. Guess what I am going to leave them till fall and move them then. Think it is safest bet. Annie
  8. monica33flowers

If you have a colder climate and move them in the fall they might not be able to take root and may die off in the winter.

Spring is the best time but if you need them moved I would do it before the July 4th so the root system can take hold.
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

....maybe next earlt Spring prior to them bursting out in bloom when I have to prune anyway? Do you prune climbing roses? This one I really love is red, has dozens of 3.4inch flowers on right now and is about four feet high. I see a lot of them around the neighborghood that are spread all up one wall etc with thousands of roses.

I already planted in the back "catio" golden showers,and a pink climber, a white climber, and peach climber, this red will complete the pic and I can move the teas roses over too.

The first morning glory came out today, I just love the blue color.

When we had the farm in Cornwall, UK, the previous people had a gorgeous rose and herb garden, a maze, and climbers all over the front of the farmhouse. Of course, it was all planted when we moved in. I deeply regret selling up and moving from there I loved it so.

Love Annie hope you are continuing to improve. Did your peopnies bloom?