Warm pool aqua therapy? Anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedHeadEMT, Dec 6, 2006.

1. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

In case some of ya'all haven't read one of my other posts in which I mention this...

About three months ago, I was involved in a pretty terrible accident. I'm an EMT and was driving the ambulance, responding to a call. We were going thru an intersection, turning left on a green light when a semi-truck rammed into us.

Since then I have had nothing but terrible back/neck problems. I have been to PT, but they have said that they can't do anything but ultrasound and TENS unit therapy, as my muscles are so misaligned and tight in knots, that they believe any manipulation will cause more damage.

SO, Worker's comp has FINALLY approved a few sessions of aquatherapy in a warm pool.

Has anyone done this as a form of treatment? Did it help? Or make things worse?

I'm supposed to start soon and I want to go in, knowing what to expect. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

K
  2. I haven't tried it, but my dr. keeps mentioning it to me as it is supposed to really help alot. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
  3. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Yes, I have done this. It is wonderful. We are all different but it helped me so much that I ended up getting certified as an Aqua Aerobics instructor so that I could do the workouts on my own.

My local Marriott hotel lets me use their indoor pool, spa and exercise room for $40 per month, payable on a month to month basis. They heat the pool to 82 degrees which is not optimal (it could be warmer!) but it is warm enough that I am able to get in and work out. Some days all I am able to do is just water walk but as I'm sure you know, any type of exercise we are able to tolerate is worthwhile.

I would encourage you to give it a try, just make sure they know about all of your health issues and don't let them push you too hard or too fast.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Lynna
  4. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

My experiences were marred by an aggressive masseuse who tried to bully me into having massage from her. (No way! especially after she dug a knuckle into my thigh and exclaimed, "Your muscles are too tight!"--when I cried out in pain!!)

Back to the aquatherapy sessions themselves: Getting into the warm water and going through the movements was pleasureable and somewhat beneficial. However, getting out of the pool felt as though my body weighed a ton. Getting dressed and driving home about 10 miles through heavy, heavy traffic also contributed to my exhaustion and reduced the benefits. My overall feelings are that the benefits didn't quite outweight the costs in time, effort and discomfort. (I have chronic, moderately severe pain from spinal degenerative disease of two vertabrae.)

But, you might find your experiences are more beneficial. Many people rave about how much they were helped. So, I'd encourage you to give aquatherapy sessions a good trial period of at least four to six sessions because we can be influenced by many different factors. I believe you'll know by then whether it is would the time and effort.

With love, Dorothy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/06/2006]
  5. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I am doing water therapy now. Today was my 4th visit.
    The exercises and the warm water feel great. While in the pool. Getting out like someone else has mentioned you feel like you weigh a ton and have jello for legs.
    The problem I am having is that since I have started this I hurt real bad about 7pm. I mean I am hurting as we speak so I am not staying on here gonna try taking meds and laying down.
    Mondays session..Same thing..so bad I didnt go to work the next dayI can't do that and have a job so gonna force myself no matter what to get up and go tomorrow.
    Tonight I had to pick up a few groceries and I tried real hard. I ended up in the car crying and my son had to pay for the groceries.
    CindyVR
  6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sorry you were in such a terrible accident! How scary! I hope the water therapy helps you. I enjoyed it, it was very relaxing to me yet you are still working your muscles in a more gentle manner. My husband is a Firefighter/paramedic. A couple of months ago he was driving the ambulance and their tire blew. They flipped twice off the side of the freeway. He walked away with his partner and both had just a few scratches. But he is still paying for it with his neck as he already had a bulging disc from a job-related injury. I hope you get some relief soon! Kim :)
  7. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Fibrobutteryfly (BTW, I love your screen name! It's adorable!), thanks for the encouragement. I will absolutely keep ya'all updated and letcha know how it goes. In fact, perhaps, I'll put up a posting after each session, with my reactions...thanks for the idea! :O)

Peacebaby, I'm sorry that you only got relief for the time that you were in the water, but I suppose ANY relief that we can get, for ANY amount of time is kinda blissful, isn't it? :O)

It's really sad when physical therapists don't bother with teaching you decent exercises while there, but mostly--while you're at home! Doing PT extends to the home as well, as I'm sure you're aware...

Keep your chin up, Peacebaby, and thanks for the thoughts. Oh, also, is there anywhere else where you could go into a warm body of water? Just wondering if there's any way you could get more relief....

Lynna, what a great deal you got with Marriot!! Did you propose the idea to them or did they advertise somehow? This is something that Peacebaby could perhaps look into! Thanks for letting everyone know about how much the therapy has worked for you; I'm so impressed that you took it so far as to become an aerobics instructor--GO YOU!!

Dorothy, I am so sorry to hear that you had such a terrible experience...that masseuse sounds terrible. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to treat patients/customers. Period. It must be really tough dealing with the back problems on top of everything else.

I totally understand how difficult it must be when EVERY LITTLE THING that you do is so draining and debilitating...I feel for you so very much.

CindyVR, wow, your day sounds hellish. I'm so sorry, love, that you are in so much pain. I have been there and I tell you, it is the worst when you can't do basic things that "normal" folks take for granted, like grocery shopping. You're lucky though, that you have such a helpful son. Some people have no one, ya know? I hope that you feel at least SOMEWHAT better when you wake up tomorrow morning. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim, wow! Your husband sounds like an amazing guy. Doing the kind of work we do, EMS, is GRUELING and doing it while dealing with health/chronic pain issues is incredibly draining and sometimes just hellish.

I can't believe that he walked away from that accident...wow. You know, my partner walked away from our accident without a scratch, too. It's crazy, but I think that when ya don't know it's coming, you're that much more likely to come out of it unscathed. Like when drunk drivers walk away from an accident, while everyone else in his car is dead. I saw it coming a moment before it happened and I tensed terribly, while my partner was looking at me, talking. He had no idea it was coming.

Worker's Comp approved 6 sessions, so I'll keep everyone posted. Thank you all again SO MUCH for your input. I appreicate the time that each and every one of you took to write a response, especially Cindy considering how rough a day you seemed to be having.

Thank you all so much. Thank you. Thanks SO much.

((((((((gentle hugs all around)))))))))

-K

8. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

If you are in that much pain after your water therapy they might be having you over-do it. I usually have my "newbies" with Fibro warm up by water walking for 5 minutes, very slowly with long strides.

Then I have them walk a little faster while pushing the water away from the body with their arms. This is done in chest deep water (water depth is very important). I would alternate this with short rest periods where they just float. You might have to start out by only exercising for 15-20 minutes and then see if that is tolerated better than what you have been doing. Most "well" people do these exercises for the aerobic benefits, that doesn't usually work real well for us with Fibro. We need the resistance of the water to help us gain muscle strength and flexibility. Be sure that your instructor understands this.

It is also important to finish your session with some long, gentle stretching.

I hope with some adjustments to your routine you will be able to continue. For me it is probably the most helpful thing I can do for myself.

Take care,
    Lynna
  9. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

10. kbak

kbak Member

Hi RHEMT,
    Last yr. I did pool therapy. It really helped! Working in the pool is one of the best things you can do! I could do things in the pool that I would have never been able to do otherwise. I've had lots of problem's from to much heavy lifting.

Take it slow at first. My first time in the pool I was enjoying it so much I wayyyyyyy overdid. So start slow and work up even if your tempted to do more.

Sad for me I live in a small town in rural WY. The physical therapy dropped their contract with the high school pool, and now no more pool theray. The pool dosen't have decent adults only hrs. Just from 5-7 a.m. Not even an option for me.

Good luck,
    kbak

Anyhow give it a try. I think you'll really like it.
  11. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

unfortunately I'm allergic to the clorine in the water..I think some places over clorinate. Hopefully the pool you are going to, doesn't....I live in a smallish city & we have 4 pools available to the public, & every one is overdone. Their answer is, "It's a public pool"..I got the drift...Not everyone uses the facilities b4 hopping in...

What can you say????
    Blessings;
    Fifth