"Warm" waterbeds.............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betty50victor, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Since they say that warmth helps, has anyone here tried sleeping on a waterbed? Seems like the heat would be good and with my body hurting from the pressure of the mattress that the waterbed would be easier on the poor hips, legs, arms, shoulders etc......
    If I get enough people telling me that a waterbed does help I'm gonna go and invest in one and try it out. If it doesn't help at least I tried. I've already wasted a lot of time and money on rx's, pain meds/etc..., so if the bed doesn't work, oh well.
    Thanks for all of your comments to all the postings. Some really helpful info comes from all of you.
    Love and Hugs, Betty in Lancaster
  2. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Since they say that warmth helps, has anyone here tried sleeping on a waterbed? Seems like the heat would be good and with my body hurting from the pressure of the mattress that the waterbed would be easier on the poor hips, legs, arms, shoulders etc......
    If I get enough people telling me that a waterbed does help I'm gonna go and invest in one and try it out. If it doesn't help at least I tried. I've already wasted a lot of time and money on rx's, pain meds/etc..., so if the bed doesn't work, oh well.
    Thanks for all of your comments to all the postings. Some really helpful info comes from all of you.
    Love and Hugs, Betty in Lancaster
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

You know, Betty, the warm sounds good, but anytime I have slept on a waterbed in the past, my back kills me. I have never found one that gave enough support. I'd be willing to bet now, with the FM it would really be a pain. Why not invest in a good heating blanket, on a nice firm mattress? Save some bucks. Not only that but I am dizzy enough these days, I think all that sloshing and rocking would send me over the edge.
    Karen
  4. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Thanks for the input. They do have the waterbed mattresses with the baffles in-em. But......... they are pretty expensive. Like around 500.00 just for the matteres. I had to sell my condo and move in with my sis and her hubby, working out very well, and she gave me a new twin to sleep on with the pillow top on it. It is the most comfortable bed I've slept on but still hurts the bod. I will try a heating blanket. Thanks for the tip.....
    Betty
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have a king size waterbed which has ten long tubes instead of one huge bladder. That way, each side can be filled separately for firm or soft support. Also, one person can flop around and the person on the other side doesn't get the wave action.

I love this bed. It has a foam matress which coveres the tubes. It takes regular sheets and fits on a bedframe instead of having to have a solid built-in type frame like the regular waterbeds. I have had this bed for about 18 years and have bought new tubes once since owning it. These beds cost about the same as a good box springs/matress set.

I'm wondering whether anyone here has tried the Nautilus foam air matresses. These look wonderfully comfortable.

Love, Mikie
  6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I had a water bed a long time ago and they are not good for the back, no support like the other girls said. Also, in the summer the heater on it is too warm so you turn it way down. Then it feels like you`re lying on cold plastic and cold water. It does not feel good at all.

Now, the one Mikie has sounds like that would be a really
    good way to go. I might check that one out myself.

Right now I have a med firm mattress with a pillow top on it
    and they are very comfortable.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I have been using a warm (91 degrees F.) waterbed for almost 20 years...of all things, it was recommended by my rheumy, just after I was diag with what was then called fibrositis.

It is a firm waterbed, with baffles, and a foam/cotten cover...my little comfy cocoon(sp?).

If I had to make a choice between meds or bed...the bed would stay (and I have to take narcotics).

Seems like individual fibromites have different experiences.