Warning about your privacy here, esp if in legal battle

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I recently heard that a member had all her posts accessed by a lawyer for the opposing side to get information to use against her.

I never thought of that possibility before, but could be done easily enough, couldn't it??

Most of us have recently realized that anyone signed onto the board can access all our posts by doing a search, but I hadn't thought about it too much before...partly because I figured, in my case, esp, who would bother??

But, for those of you with concerns about your privacy be careful that nothing you type about could be used against you by a lawyer.

I think it's great that this site is getting more attn and more people can be benefited. but, as it becomes even more well known, like from Kathryn's news interview, more snoopy people may find out about it also...and I know a few of you are in the legal battle of your lives.

Since I never thought of the legal ramifications before, thought maybe some of you haven't either.

Jen
  2. mycatprint

mycatprint New Member

I remember a post a while back which told us how to delete posts. I wonder if who ever posted it could do so again, for the new people.

Again Thanks for the info

hugs from Cat
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

As far as i know, all you have to do is go to the post and click on delete under your name to the side of the post.

To find your posts, just enter your codename in the search engine or go to your profile and it lists all your posts there.

Hope I don't come back to a half empty board!! lol!!!

Note: you can only delete posts you started or your own personal contribution to a thread as far as i know.

Have a lovely day, guys!!

J

P.S. Just checked out your profile, Cat. sorry to hear of your severe MCS and hubby's Hep C...boy that sure complicates things for FM and CFS...

take care.

it's an exciting day here in Toronto with the big Concert and all.

J.[This Message was Edited on 07/30/2003]
  4. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Jen, Great info--many should be aware of this potential risk.Any investigations by EEOC that obtain information here could damage cases where disability discrimination are pending.Peace,lisa Can you through together a concert as is performing now,to benefit US? LOL :)
  5. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    what is EEOC?
    Thanks,
    Ziggy
  6. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

Aeryn is a leather clad gun toting warrior woman in a sci-fi show I watch! Nobody better come up against her!

Can people get access to our accounts where we gave our real names?

Alternatively, you can go to hotmail to start a false account with a false name and use that to start an anonymous account here.

A
  7. Jen F

Jen F New Member

personal details, it could become obvious it's you.

No, I don't think they have access to the email addy that prohealth has when you log in.

i also have an anonymous hotmail. I'm Notmartha Stewart.

but, then, my concern over personal details is not huge, or I wouldn't use the name Jen.

by the way...

I LOVE Aeryn! Though I only watch the show sometimes. Oh, and what's his name...Creighton? is SOOO hot in that role...Whew!

J.
  8. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Equal Employment Opportunity Commision.They work w/ADA,and other issues groups involving Job discrimination.The orginization can help you obtain Letter to Sue if violations are found. :} Peace,Ez
  9. opalgem

opalgem New Member

I too deleted most of my posts. I think that it is a shame, but I no longer feel safe posting on a public forum. I guess from now on I'll just lurk and learn. I feel like I lost my best friend, but it all kind of scares me. I thought I was protected by not posting my e-mail address. Now I'm not so sure. Anyway, thanks for the listening while it lasted and I'll continue to pray for everyone.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2003]
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That you wouldn't want the world to be able to read. We do discuss some pretty sensitive things here and Jen is right. If you are in any kind of legal situation, keep that in mind when posting.

Love, Mikie
  11. mamafrey

mamafrey New Member

i started to delete some of my post. There isn't any reason to keep the old stuff in there anyways. mama
  12. opalgem

opalgem New Member

I like the idea I can delete my post simply enough. I guess I feel like someone is tapping in on a private conversation when we post. It all seems kind of silly to me this morning DUH! Of course it is public and is the way I find a lot of comfort and answers by doing a search as well. Anyway, I do feel better about it. I do not have any legal battles to be concerned with, it is just that feeling of someone over your shoulder I guess. Maybe afraid of being judged by some site who will use our posts for something other than their intent. I would hate to come across something where they use us as examples of whiners or something else against our fight to make FM and CFS taken seriously. But that is life I guess. I love posting here and won't let them take that from me DARN IT! LOL If I was not in so much pain right now I'd be laughing! My third day back to work after a 2 week vacation and I'm ready to crawl in a hole and lick my wounds already. Not that vacation was pain free, but at least I could lay down when I needed to. Here's to a great day for everyone (cheers).
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And don't go overboard. If one has a username which isn't your full legal name, who is going to know who you are? You do not have to reveal where you live or any personal info unless you want to put it in your profile.

Unless anyone is engaging in illegal activity or involved in legal action, what is posted here shouldn't be of concern.

Just keep in mind that this is a public website and don't post anything you wouldn't want others to read.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]