Warning...... Atkins diet and CFS/FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Just wanted to warn anybody that is thinking of starting the atkins diet.
    Two drs have now told me that unless your active you will lose muscle with this diet.
    As i am very inactive and many of you are too i thought i would let you all know what i have been told.

Shazzy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is only true if one continues the "induction" phase of the diet which is only meant to be done for the first two weeks of the diet.

This is why I prefer the SomerSize diet to the Atkins. Low-carb should not mean no-carb. In fact, Somers herself said that she stopped losing on her own diet and it was because she had limited the carbs too much. On her diet, you eat carbs, but not with fats or protiens. It's much easier to stay on. You can even have a little dessert with Phase I of her diet.

There is no reason to lose muscle tone on or off a diet. My physical therapist gave me exercises which flex and stretch the muscles and keep them strong and flexible even when bedridden. One needn't do aerobic exercise to keep muscle tissue in good shape. Aerobic exercise is desirable, of course, but some of us just can't do it sometimes.

Love, Mikie
  3. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I was only passing on what i had been told by my drs. I will look into this summers diet as that sounds good to me.

Thanks

Shazzy
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Everything I read and everything I hear from docs!

Love, Mikie
  5. lucky

lucky New Member

I am probably one of the only ones on this board who does not believe in any of these diets, may it be Atkins or Summer for one reason, some of these diets are just not healthy and do more harm than good. A well balanced healthy diet is what I believe consists of the majority of calories from fruits and vegetables and only 25 to 30% from protein and easy on the carbs.
    Sincerely, Lucky
  6. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I recently found out I am heading down the Type II diabetes road. I did like the dietician I talked with. She was very easy going and understood changing my habit will take time and we will work on it together. I also discovered that the Atkins diet was not very good for someone who has problems with diabetes like me. It made since for me.

Others do priase the diet and perhaps it depends on our different metabolism, habits and genetics.

Lynda B.
  7. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I HAVE the Somersize book right here! Got right before I left for MA in March & completely forgot about it. dolsgirl
  8. ChiaPet

ChiaPet New Member

I was on the Atkins diet for 3 years tho' I lost 60 pounds in less than 1.

This is odd I remember reading a book on fibromyalgia and it said that a low carb diet is good for FMS.I went on the diet to lose weight tho' not for my FMS.I found out about this after I lost all that weight.

Im not on atkins anymore because I was sick of eating eggs all the time.I did gain some weight back but Im losing again on a more satisfying diet.To tell the truth I didnt feel much better or worse when I was on the diet.*shrugs*
  9. tansy

tansy New Member

I do eat carbs but in modest amounts. I have one carbo meal a day, breakfast because it does help me start the day. The rest of my food is proteins and fats. I use digestive enzymes with most of my meals.

If you don't want to try this sort of diet then please just ensure you stay off sugar and refined carbos. Also avoid over processed food, the nearer a food source is to it's natural state the better it is for us.

Incidently my GP is very pro a high protein low/modest carbs diet. She says it makes sense to her.

A lot of this is based on your ancestory ie what our bodies are designed to digest and metabolise. So if your ancestory is hunter gatherer than you may well be suffering more than you need to be.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/15/2003]
  10. ggks

ggks New Member

I would like to know more about the "if your ancestry is hunter-gatherer" type of diet. Is there a book about this?
  11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It is called "The Metabolic Typing Diet" and is based on the idea that when it comes to diets, one size does not fit all. It has an extensive questionairre to determine which type of diet is best for you (high protein, high carb, or mixed).
    One reason so many Americans are getting fatter and sicker on the low fat, high carb diet that most docs are pushing, is because most of us have evolved from ancestors who came from cold places and lived on lots of dairy, fish, meat and whatever they could dig up from the ground during the warm periods. This is a similar diet to the current high protein, low carb ones that are mostly proteins and vegetables.
    However, if your ancestors came from warm places, then high carb, low fat may be just the thing for you. In warm places they have cultivated grains for a long, long time, adn they eat hot weather products such as beans and high carb fruits such as dates.
    The book also has great pictures showing how much better the teeth of primitives look than ours, presumably because they eat the correct diet for how they've evolved. Without modern orthodontists, most bush people have perfect teeth and even features.
    I am a "mixed type leaning towards protein", so have adjusted my diet accordingly. I lost 17 lbs. in the first 3 months, had better energy, and my cholesterol dropped 25 pts. while my triglycerides dropped more than 100 pts.
    Happy reading,
    Klutzo
  12. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

The Atkins diet is wonderful in that we burn our fat, not our muscle. That's an old wives tale for sure.... To show you how much some MD's know, my hubby's doctor told him he needed to eat sugar because his body needs it. The good doc didn't seem to know that our body converts all by itself without ingesting any "sugar" products.

Marilyn :)
  13. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I'd really like to know where in the world you got information to make this statement: "Atkins or Summer for one reason, some of these diets are just not healthy and do more harm than good."

About 2 weeks or so ago, the New England Journal of Medicine published a report stating that Dr. Atkins was correct in his beliefs and teachings, and the protien diet was actually good for us. Besides that report, the news has on tv many times too, so the vote is now in that the old saying that Atkins and Sommers is bad for you, is all hoke. Listen to the news and read more, you'll see that the tables have turned.

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The diet Lucky describes what the Atkins and Somers diets are all about. They are not just about protein. They are about eating fresh fruit in moderation and low-starch veggies. Our bodies do need protein and the low-fat diets of the past which emphasized complex carbs are the ones which have led us into obesity, Syndrome X (insulin resistance), and eventually Diabetes.

My health has greatly improved and the lab results confirm this. Eating natural fats and proteins does not cause health problems. It is going to be a huge education process after so many years on the low-fat diets that the govt. has been telling us is so healthy -- NOT!!!

Love, Mikie
  15. zestytx

zestytx New Member

Wonder how long it will take to re-vamp the food pyramid... saying that we need 11-12 servings of grains a day is INSANE!
  16. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Once I get back to my normal weight with the Atkins way of eating, I am going to switch over to Sommers, because she has more interesting recipes. I'm really excited about it because I love lots of fruit and would give my kingdom for a smoothie about right now!

Marilyn :0
  17. lucky

lucky New Member

I tell you where I got my info from, our Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation, who precisely warned about the Atkins diet, and I happen to share their opinion if you eat such a onesided diet that it does more harm than good. I am a very firm believer in it, and I am entitled to my opinion.
    Sincerely, Lucky
  18. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

The American Heart Association used to think the same way, but now they've looked at the long term research and studies and have finally seen the light. They now realize that real food is perfect for us, whereas processed, refined foods are a death sentence. The Atkins diet is the diet of our ancestors, God's diet. I guess I'd trust Him more than a human being, especially a scientist! Meats, eggs, fruit, vegetables, where can we go wrong when eating like this?

19. lucky

lucky New Member

I agree with you on this one. And above all, whatever you think is right for you and you believe in, that's what counts.
    With my European upbringing I was always easy on refined and processed foods and was always very aware how unhealthy these are.
    I am happy you lost quite a bit of weight on the Atkins diet and I am sure feel better because of it.
    My weight problem is secondary and I have other more 'burning' issues which I try to address. Again, this board has been really a good source for a lot of the newest infos etc. on our illnesses and also great discussions at times.
    Take care, sincerely, Lucky
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]