Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The law here checks gas stations for illegal scanners. ID thieves stick their own scanners on gas tanks and they look just like the real thing. These scanners read credit and debit card info. The thieves may manufacture their own cards to use or just scam in other ways. One way to spot an illegal scanner is to try to wiggle it. If it wiggles, it is illegal. Use tanks on the side which faces the inside store. Thieves usually place them on the outside where people in the stores don't see them.

DO NOT USE YOUR DEBIT CARD TO BUY GAS. With the info these scanners gather, the crooks can go into your bank acct. and wipe it out. You will eventually get your money back but the bank will freeze your acct. until they straighten it out.

Credit cars are a bit safer but still a royal pain if the crooks use your card to make purchases.

If you usually buy your gas at one station, get a retail gas gift card. It is useless to the thieves. I try to get $25 cards so I use most of the card at one stop.

Stay safe, my friends.

Love, Mikie
    gb66 and rockgor like this.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mikie.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My pleasure. I figure the last thing we need is a scam mess to deal with.

Love, Mikie
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Quite right, Mikie. The possibility of a scam mess reminds me of
    the Mammy mess they had in the late 1920s after Al Jolson
    sang "My Mammy" in the first talkie. Some confusion over
    who actually wrote it.

BTW, Wikipedia says Jolson was not the first to perform the song.
    "I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles" was first performed
    by William Frawley. (Later to become famous as a certain red
    head's landlord and hubby to Ethel nee Potter.)

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This scam could cause us tons of headaches and a financial mess. As I said, we don't need that.

I didn't know about the mess with the song. You are an encyclopedia of show biz lore.

Love, Mikie
  6. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Thanks Mikie, for the wonderful heads up! Unfortunately, Kevin uses our debit card for almost everything! He says that he can spot a scam. I sure hope he can. Fingers crossed!

Do any of you have those "protective sleeves" or "protective wallets" for credit cards? You slip it in your wallet, and your credit/debit cards cannot be read by identity thieves, from afar. I think they are called RFID?

I keep thinking about getting a couple. As the technology gets better (with chips in credit cards), so do the identity thieves get better, at stealing data.

Thanks, Mikie!

Love, Diane
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Diane,

Yes, I have one of those little aluminum cases for my credit cards. It took forever to find one here; I should have looked on Amazon. I don't have a debit card. I use my credit card for everything. It has a lot more protection for purchases and renting cars. It also makes it easier to manage my $$$. I know when to buy things so they won't show up for more than a month on my bill. I pay it off every month so I don't incur interest charges.

The scammer scanners are very difficult to spot. Scammers buy keys which allow them to open the gas tank covers and slip the scanners, which look just like the legit ones, under the covers. The real ones don't wiggle like the scammer scanners do. Doesn't hurt to give them a jiggle. As mentioned above, I just buy gas gift cards because Publix sells them at 20 percent off.

Thanks for posting.

Love, Mikie
  8. Billoy Joe

Billoy Joe Member

Hey Mikie thanks for your input here. I'll keep this in mind.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2016