Warning! Checking Acct Fraud

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaminhealth, Oct 19, 2013.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I posted what I just went thru on a chit chat group but thought I'd put it
    out there for MORE to see.

I just went thru being cleaned out of my checking account to the tune of $2385...this
    clean out by a "crook(s) " took place over 2 days....before my bank called me and
    asked me if I authorized a $500 water bill to DWP here in So. Cal.....No, of course,
    so I went into the bank promptly and found the shock of it.

I'll get the money back but it's been such a stress mess....I'll post more comments
    later....It's been quite a hard education.
  2. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I am sorry to hear this happened to you. A friend of mine had identity theft and bank fraud last month and it was indeed very stressful even though just like you, she was not responsible for the funds stolen. But all the things you have to check into, close, open new accounts etc., really wore her out and caused her great anxiety and then an increase in her Fibromyalgia symptoms.

I hope things will work out more quickly and with as little stress as possible for such a situation. Do let us know how things work out.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Jam,

Again, I'm so very sorry this happened to you. Hope it's straightened out soon.

Love, Mikie
  4. jaminhealth

I mentioned this on the chit chat post talking about this and
    mention it here...

Talking to the asst branch mgr at the bank last week, she said in the
    15 yrs she has been in banking, this is the WORST it's been...

So many out there know how to "work" the system and even going to
    making their own checks from check stock they can buy at Staples and
    other places, I'm sure...and I wonder how much of inside jobs this stuff is,
    that people handle our checks/accounts.....I'm going to write less checks
    and use debit card NOW and my poor overworked credit card....

It's a terrible violation but there are major violators out there and too much
    desperation.. Very sad and so troubling.... I hope my funds are restored into
    my "new" account next week, I've had this account for 20+ yrs.....sigh.....jam

Thank goodness for my good friend who willingly lent me $2K to get thru this
    until I get my money back....banking Reg E has to do fraud investigation and
    during the time one does not have their funds.....
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I listed something for sale this week on Craig's list. Yesterday got an email asking if the item was still for sale. Said no but I had something else similar. Today got an email saying he wanted to buy it (never saw what it looks like or the $) and he would send a certified check from USPS or FedEx. I basically told him to go fly a kite. I did a search and this is a common scam on Craig's list. You agree, take the check to your bank and cash it, then weeks down the line the bank finds out it's bad and your checking account is minus $ and this person has possession of your item.

There are SCAMS everywhere!!!!!
  6. jaminhealth

I went on CL some yrs ago and when it became so brutally cruel, I left that group...

But I must say, about 3 yrs ago when my daughter had to sell the landcruiser left to her in divorce, we had my neighbor handle the sale on CL and agreed to give him a percentage, which was fair, it worked out so well, a man in FL bought the LC and sent his cashier's check for the agreed on price, and had it shipped to FL....it was pretty amazing....people who love those landcruisers and work on them, buy them up.....

For me, I'm very tired of owning a car with all the expense etc....so when I'm ready, I will let me neighbor handle it the same way....the car will sell, it's a corolla with low mileage and people who love toyotas will love this car....I get no joy in driving anymore......
  7. jaminhealth

How do these people think they can get away with this fraud?

Thinking more and more about this, when the fraud investigation goes on, doesn't an address/residence have to be attached to a DWP, Direct TV, Edison payments.....from water, direct tv and utility bills....ummmmmmm
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If a person buys a Land Rover or Land Cruiser, it would be very helpful to know how to work on them. Or, have plenty of money for a mechanic or an extended warrantee.

Love, Mikie
  9. jaminhealth

Mikie, the person who bought the Landcruiser (1976 I think) only saw pictures and bought it....a lot of Toyota LC lovers restore them beautifully. I saw a lot of pics of restored "old" LC and they are primo...gas guzzlers, but maybe those people do something with mechanics to change that gas guzzling issue....they are big vechicles with V8's I do believe.....it needed a lot of work and my daughter could not do it anymore, plus driving it cost an arm and leg....she now drives a Prius, loves it...

Diane, I just talked to my bank, my funds are NOW back into my "new" account....I yelled and screamed last week so they put me at the top of their work.....

Sadly, this stuff goes on NOW more than ever in history to date....I just talked to the Safeway payment people as one of my checks to their local market here bounced. So talking to this woman, she said YES worse than ever, it's always happened but worse....

I asked my bank if I will ever KNOW who did all this and they said NO, on the fraud dept knows this info.

No I won't use Debit card on line, I use my Visa for purchases and so far all has worked good there....Good thing I don't buy a lot, mostly supps...

The more we talk the more stories we hear from others.....sad commentary on things.....jam
  10. jaminhealth

Now more fun begins to get thru to Social Security and Hartford to change accounts for my 2 retirement
    checks....
  11. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

That's good you're $$ is back in your NEW account.

I'm lucky if I write one check a month. Most everything I pay by Discover card, including food at the grocery store since I get cash back and if you dispute something a credit card company will check into it and remove the charge.
  12. jaminhealth

Goatie, this was my checking account at my LONG time many years bank.....I only have 1 credit card and it's worn out.....I'll use it more NOW and use checks less.... The fraud investigation is done, even if the banks do it, who knows.....they are all FDIC protected, so they lose no money.....

But it's been a nightmare for this tired body. jam
  13. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Warning...For those of you who have to sign up for Obamacare insurance. There was a warning from the owner of McAfee internet security that the sites for signing up are not secure. He stated all the information you provide could be highjacked. He never offered any information on how to protect your personal information...which was a total bummer!! I'm dumbfounded that the governmental agencies who oversaw the establishment of these sites overlooked this major flaw.

Like SFG, I use my Discover card for most purchases. Over the years, THEY caught frauds on my account and contacted me before I even knew anything about them. Recently, Amazon caught a potential fraud (and I suspect, once again, Discover caught this). I've never ever been charged for any of these fraudulent purchases. But, once, this happened on a Visa card. I had to fill out forms identifying the bad charges and have it notarized. What a hassle!! I canceled the card.

I feel bad you were affected, Jam. I know this has to be a major ordeal getting thing straightened out. And, it has to feel disconcerting to have to close an account you've had so many years. That's sad!!!
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, I didn't realize you were talking about the Toyota Land Cruiser. I thought you were talking about the one produced by Land Rover. England and Italy make some of the world's most beautiful cars but they haven't figured out how to make ones which don't need continual maintenance. SAABS and Volvos will last forever but can be maintenance hogs.

Yes, Toyotas have been making those types of vehicles for use in Africa for decades. They last almost forever. Most Toyotas will if taken care of. I plan to drive my Highlander the rest of my life. It still looks like new, even after 11 years. It has never missed an oil change and I keep it waxed with a liquid wax with sunscreen in it. Even Toyotas will get that look like shrinkwrap is wearing and tearing off. It's the clear coat which has dried out from lack of waxing. I never use the hard wax, just the liquid stuff. I just had the timing belt and water pump replaced. Even after 11 yrs., the belt didn't look that bad. They flushed the tranny. Mostly what I've done is just preventive maintenance and it hasn't been much.

I wonder how much maintenance that guy has had to do to keep his Volvo running 3 million, yes, million, miles.

Love, Mikie
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, I replied to you and lost the post. I was thinking of the English Land Rover model. I think it's called something similar to the Toyota. You are right, the Toyota Land Cruisers have been made for decades and were used in the jungles and savannahs of Africa. Like most Toyotas, they will last forever if taken care of.

Love, Mikie
  16. jaminhealth

Windy, I didn't leave my bank, but had to go thru account change, so still in that process....working with social security and hartford where I get direct deposit monthly retirement checks....not a breeze to accomplish but the bank says I have 3 month to get this all done so the checks will go into the new account....FOR NOW, the checks will go to the old account and bumped into the new one....

I'm paranoid NOW about all this....these scams are virilant out there....from what I hear from so many.

Mikie, no it is a toyota LC my daughter was "left" in the divorce....it needed a lot of work...so glad its' in the life of someone who most likely restores them...

My corolla will be with me to my end but I don't wax like you....I'd like to STOP driving period...don't enjoy driving anymore and the expense...I just paid $87 for registration yesterday for my 1995 corolla...it only has
    44K miles on it....driving in this crazy traffic world appeals to me ZERO....

Hope you both are well ENOUGH....jam
  17. jaminhealth

Just talked to my GF in Palm Desert and this stuff has been "BIG" down there.....lots of seniors for one thing and they all get SS and Pension checks direct deposit.....there are seniors everywhere but some areas have more concentrations... She said that often people's checks were LOST in the mail and never got to the addressees....this just recently happened to me with 2 checks that are still floating around out there....blamed it on the P.O. and perpaps someone(s) in that system confiscated my checks and used the numbers etc....

I'll never know....but this all happened BIG on the day my SS check was deposited..... I'm paranoid....

Finally got thru to SS, and able to leave a message that they will call me back within an hour....they are so so busy and especially this time of year with people changing things on their Medicare accounts...

I'll be calling my bank on a regular basis to check balances,, I'm even uncertain about logging into the bank with my numbers out there....
  18. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Jam...I understood what you meant about your checking account, but appreciate the further explanation. I'm surprised they're keeping your old account "alive" and transferring all transactions to your new account. Generally speaking, they normally close the account (allowing only YOUR transactions) and set up the new one (which you now have). But, each bank I'm sure handles things differently.

This has to be so frustrating along with a lot of anxiety. Again, I totally "feel" for you. But, you'll get it straightened out...the problem is the limbo until this is all finally settled. Hope SS did call you back!

Whoever buys your car will be getting a gem...very low miles. Don't just "give it away" since you no longer want to drive. And, if it's any consolation, I do still drive, but I don't want to travel long distances any more. It raises far too much havoc with my body these days.

I've driven very trouble-free Lexus cars for many years, but I hated having to drive 4 hrs. round trip to have them serviced. So, I bought a Toyota Highlander since the service for it is a lot closer. But, if I put it through a car wash, the tail gate won't open. I've got less than 1,000 miles on it and Toyota says they can't find anything wrong. So, I see a battle ahead of me and lots of trips to the service department.:(

Hang in there, darlin'....
  19. jaminhealth

Windy, the OLD ACCT is Closed....on the day I hit the bank to go thru this....a new acct is open and I have 4 temp checks until my box of checks hit the bank for me to pick up....I didn't even "trust" my checks to get to my house via u.s. mail....

Until all is good with the new account, the bank will bump my deposits into my new account....

SS did call back and took care of everything on the phone....amazing...

Hartford has to have me fill out paperwork and send them a voided new check....not as easy...

I have 3 months to get this all kosher....

Sorry to hear about your toyota tailgate issue. uuuuummmm hope it gets corrected,,,,, jam
  20. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Glad to hear things are getting straightened out for you, Jam. I'm surprised you got
    some action from Soc. Sec. Hope it works.

Sorry to hear about your tailgate problem, Windy. If you get it fixed, you can throw a party.

Rock