Warning for the drug; BEXTRA (valdecoxib)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shirl, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Thought this might be of interest for those who have taken/are taking the drugh Bextra.
    You can go the the FDA's website for additional information.

Shalom, Shirl

FDA and Pharmacia Issue New Warnings for Pain Drug: Bextra (valdecoxib)
    ImmuneSupport.com

11-15-2002

FDA and Pharmacia are advising health care professionals about new warnings and information in the product labeling of the drug Bextra (valdecoxib), a drug approved for treatment of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and dysmenorrhea (menstrual pain). The labeling is being updated with new warnings following postmarketing reports of serious adverse effects including life-threatening risks related to skin reactions -- including Stevens Johnson Syndrome, and anaphylactoid reactions (serious allergic reactions). In addition, the labeling will state that the drug is contraindicated -- not to be used -- in patients allergic to sulfa containing products.
    On November 13, 2002, Pharmacia, the manufacturer of Bextra sent letters to health care professionals advising them of postmarketing reports and new warnings that will be included in the drug label. Since the firm began marketing the drug in March of 2002, cases of the serious skin and hypersensitivity reactions have been reported. These included cases of Stevens Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, exfoliative dermatitis and erythema multiforme. Although these adverse events are rare, some of these patients required hospitalization. Based on these reports, FDA has approved labeling changes for Bextra that include a warning for serious skin reactions. As these reactions can be life threatening, people who start Bextra and experience a rash should discontinue the drug immediately.

Source: FDA website
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Thought this might be of interest for those who have taken/are taking the drugh Bextra.
    You can go the the FDA's website for additional information.

Shalom, Shirl

FDA and Pharmacia Issue New Warnings for Pain Drug: Bextra (valdecoxib)
    ImmuneSupport.com

11-15-2002

FDA and Pharmacia are advising health care professionals about new warnings and information in the product labeling of the drug Bextra (valdecoxib), a drug approved for treatment of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and dysmenorrhea (menstrual pain). The labeling is being updated with new warnings following postmarketing reports of serious adverse effects including life-threatening risks related to skin reactions -- including Stevens Johnson Syndrome, and anaphylactoid reactions (serious allergic reactions). In addition, the labeling will state that the drug is contraindicated -- not to be used -- in patients allergic to sulfa containing products.
    On November 13, 2002, Pharmacia, the manufacturer of Bextra sent letters to health care professionals advising them of postmarketing reports and new warnings that will be included in the drug label. Since the firm began marketing the drug in March of 2002, cases of the serious skin and hypersensitivity reactions have been reported. These included cases of Stevens Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, exfoliative dermatitis and erythema multiforme. Although these adverse events are rare, some of these patients required hospitalization. Based on these reports, FDA has approved labeling changes for Bextra that include a warning for serious skin reactions. As these reactions can be life threatening, people who start Bextra and experience a rash should discontinue the drug immediately.

Source: FDA website
  3. tamara!

tamara! New Member

I've had skin rashes with my fibro. anyway, but the doc switched me to bextra and I guess I didn't make the connection between them being worse lately, and the new meds. I've also had some rashes that looked like there was blood just under the surface of my skin.

I thank goodness I wasn't that faithful in taking them and I ran out for about 4 days ago, yesterday the doc gave me more, they don't help much anyway.

I'm sitting here itching right now.

The bad thing is I'm allergic to sulfa!

Thanx so much for your post because I wouldn't have known and I've always been prone to allergic reactions.

TAMARA!
  4. little

little Member

I went to the doctors on Monday and she gave me BEXTRA. I went on the web to find out about this drug. I saw the big red letter warning. I printed out the information. I took the samples and the information back to the doctors. Last year she had me take celebrax. That made me sick to my stomach.Then she told me to take viox. I didn't take it because it might cause strokes. The doctors keep pushing pills on us. They never talk to us about the medicines that they tell you to take. They just say take it. I'm so tired of pills. HAVE A GREAT DAY GAIL
  5. tamara!

tamara! New Member

to and imortant message also read allhart post on this 11/29
  6. selma

selma New Member

My hubby allergic to sulfa and taking this and has unexplained rash!!!!

Thank-you. Love, Selma