WARNING please read

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Dec 9, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

For those who don't know me, I am a longtime member of this board. I have fibro and OA, and know the stresses living with this illness can cause.

I know many of us are desperate in terms of needing to heal and are desperate financially as well.

Please don't fall for internet scams.

I received today an email telling me I had won several million dollars in a British lottery I don't remember ever entering. For one very brief moment I thought "Wow! I won something!"

Then reason prevailed and I came back to reality. Just for the heck of it, I checked the Snopes.com site. This sort of scam started back in 1920.

This is a SCAM, my friends. Please don't fall for it. It will cost you every penny you have. It is false hope, sent by unscrupulous people who only want one thing: your money, that you have worked hard for and need to keep you and your families alive and comfortable.

In a way, I feel like I have 'arrived', having gotten this bogus email. I've heard about them, but never saw one before this morning.

Please, please, please, laugh at and then delete these dangerous emails.

Peace,
    Beth.

2. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

These scams are rampant in Nigeria too!

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

- julie (is free!)
  3. Chris3251

Chris3251 New Member

Australia is another hot spot for "lotteries". Overall, Nigeria is just a breeding ground for MANY scams either via email or IM.
  4. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Looked like it was from my bank! Had their logo at the top and everything!!!

It said that my account had been approached on line in the past few days numerous times with the incorrect pin, and would be frozen on Dec 11 unless I clicked on the link to update my info.

Funny, because my bank doesn't have that particular email address for one. I always use my personal one, not the network one. And like I would click a link to give info on the web. But, I'm sure people do and have their accounts wiped out!!!

I am going to print it out and take it to my bank so they can investigate the link. I didn't click on it- I didn't want it to attach spyware.

Bunny
  5. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Hi Beth,

I get at least 2 or 3 each time I access my e-mails.I have *won* tv's,gift certificates,plane tickets,etc.

I get so I just delete them,they are a pain in the kazoo!!

But thanks for the headsup!!

Take Care!!
    Jordane
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

I appreciate your responses. When I received that scam email this morning, I thought about the desperation and the brain fog we sometimes have, and felt that I needed to do this post. I hope we have all helped our family here to be more safe and watchful.

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. lease79

lease79 New Member

I am super cafeful with stuff like that.
    There are just too many scams out there :(
  8. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

we had a horse for sale on the internet and i had a man email and said he wanted to buy our horse, he didn"t even ask anything about the horse, so I knew something was wrong.also the way the email was written, I could tell it was not from the U.S.
    so I told him he could make a appointment to come and see the horse.
    he wrote that he was outside of the U.S. so he would send me a check for the price of the horse and shipping of the animal.and I needed to cash the check and forward the excess amount to his shipping company. then they would make arrangements to pickup the horse.
    when actually the check is no good but by the time you find this out you would have already sent them the amount to ship the horse. plus you would be liable for cashing the check at your bank,when it didn"t clear.
    I reported it. but theres not much they can do about it because its out of the U.S. sixtyslady