Warts & the Immune System?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Sep 2, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I've recently noticed three small warts on my hands. Two of them appeared a few weeks ago, and this morning when I got up and washed my hands after the bathroom I noticed an itch on my left hand, and where the itch was is a brand new WART.

I know that warts are viral, and I have never really had problems with them. I had a few small warts in childhood, and I had a small wart on my thumb a couple of years ago. I treated it with some stuff from the chemist and got rid of it.

So, I'm just wondering why I'm suddenly getting these warts. I'm in a phase of my CFIDS/EBV where I don't feel so bad! But why is this happening? And what does this mean about my immune system right now?

Should I be taking some extra Echinacea, trying Olive Leaf Extract, or doing something similar?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any advice and/or insights would be appreciated!

Alison
  2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I've recently noticed three small warts on my hands. Two of them appeared a few weeks ago, and this morning when I got up and washed my hands after the bathroom I noticed an itch on my left hand, and where the itch was is a brand new WART.

I know that warts are viral, and I have never really had problems with them. I had a few small warts in childhood, and I had a small wart on my thumb a couple of years ago. I treated it with some stuff from the chemist and got rid of it.

So, I'm just wondering why I'm suddenly getting these warts. I'm in a phase of my CFIDS/EBV where I don't feel so bad! But why is this happening? And what does this mean about my immune system right now?

Should I be taking some extra Echinacea, trying Olive Leaf Extract, or doing something similar?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any advice and/or insights would be appreciated!

Alison
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Am just giving your post a bump, I have never had a wart.

But I am sure others can help tomorrow.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Hi,

Sounds to me like we all have a lot of viruses.......I have herpes, I seem to read a lot of virus talk on here, I do not have warts at all, not yet anyway!

Jaci
  5. herblady

herblady New Member

ali, an attack of warts or herpes is definitely a sign the immune system is not up to par. my mom used to always say if we got cold sores we were fixing to get sick and she was usually right. antivirals may help, don't use echinacea, the olive leaf is good, combine it with black elderberry. i also like colostrum to go with those. get enough rest and make sure you are getting good nutrition. this is my mom's back in the woods hillbilly cure for warts. take a dried pinto (or other) bean. rub it on the wart and wish it to go away. bury it in the backyard. now this sounds silly but i used it on the only wart i ever had and it worked. it dried up and fell off two weeks later, i swear. of course, it's not magic or anything, it's the power of the mind over the body but you have to believe. i love telling this story, nobody believes it, lol. cindi
  6. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely give these things a try (even the dried pinto bean!). :)

Alison
  7. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I already take a lot of stuff - Spirulina, Vitamin C, Green Tea Extract, Vitex (for my menstrual cycle), and Acidophilus. Will taking Olive Leaf or Colostrum have any bad effects in combination with any of these supplements? Specifically, will the Green Tea and Olive Leaf interact with each other?

Thanks!

Alison

8. herblady

herblady New Member

no it's fine to take them together, there will be no inter-reactions. now remember herbal remedies can take time to work. and in the meantime i think i saw some sort of wart removal, i think patches or something in the store. you might want to look at the drgstore. cindi
  9. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Thanks, you two! :) I think there is definitely a link with CFS and/or EBV, and it seems to be to do with an impaired immune function. And I'll go ahead with the Olive Leaf - I'll buy some today. Supplements are so expensive, I can only buy one thing at a time - so I always have to figure out what is THE most important supplement for me at the time. This time I think it is probably the Olive Leaf.

This morning (it's 8.30 am here - for some reason I'm able to get up much earlier than usual lately), I looked up one of my MANY health books. There was a lot of information in it about warts. I was interested to learn that warts are caused by the Human Papillo (sp.?) Virus. The book also outlines a lot of different treatments/herbs/vitamins. So if you're interested, I'll type it all out later on today (probably tonight, so like in about 11 hours from now).

Alison
  10. brightlights

brightlights New Member

I got a wart on my hand, and my mom took me to my Grandma, who was well known for successfully removing warts by putting a hex on them.

It worked!

As a kid I was amazed, but now I figure it had probably run its course.

Sandra
  11. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I just got back from town. I bought some Olive Leaf Extract but didn't have enough $$$ for anything to remove the warts with - I have some garlic though, so maybe I'll try rubbing that on the warts every day.

On the label it says that the Olive Leaf is "a powerful ally" against yeast infections and EBV, and that it will strengthen the immune system. So it will be interesting to wait and see what happens.

BTW, I really feel like crap today - I feel so tired it's making me NAUSEOUS. Which reminds me of something else I must post about...

Anyway I'll write my 'feeling sick' post, and then after I've had a rest, maybe a nap, I'll post that information on warts that I was talking about.

Alison
  12. herblady

herblady New Member

olive leaf is a good choice to start with. all the other things i mentioned will help it work better when you get the chance. i believe those wart removers use salicylic acid. so you can try this. dissove an aspirin in a drop or so of water. crush it first. then apply the paste to the wart and cover with a band aid to keep it in place. do this about 3 times a day for two weeks. there's a good chance the wart will be gone or at least reduced. it's worth a try and cheap. cindi
  13. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I'll definitely try the aspirin thing! :)

Just going to find my book with the wart info in it...

Alison
  14. ali-may

ali-may New Member

This is my own SUMMARY from the entry on 'Warts' in the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing (3rd Edition). The authors are Phyllis A. Balch, CNC and James F. Balch, MD. I have not typed it out word for word.

* Warts are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV)

* The most important supplements are Vit. B complex for normal cell multiplication, and Vit. C with bioflavonoids for its antiviral activity. Suggested dosage: 50mg of each major B vitamin 3 x daily, and 4000-10,000 mg daily of vit. C.

OTHER IMPORTANT SUPPLEMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS

* L-Cysteine. 500 mg twice daily.

*Methylsulfonyl-methane (MSM). Take as directed on the label.

* Vitamin A with mixed carotenoids including natural beta-carotene.

* Vitamin E. 400-800 IU daily. You can also cut open the Vit. E capsules and apply them to the wart daily.

* Zinc. 50-80 mg daily.

LESS IMPORTANT, BUT STILL HELPFUL

* Multivitamin and mineral complex

* Reishi or shiitake extract

HERBS

* Aloe vera gel, myrhh; oils of clove, lemongrass,
    peppermint, tea tree or wintergreen.

* Tinctures of black walnut, chickweed, goldenseal and pau d'arco used externally on the warts.

* Aloe vera gel dabbed on the wart two or three times daily.

* Astralagus

* Black walnut, esp. for warts in the mouth and throat.

WAYS TO REMOVE WARTS

* Apply crushed garlic and cover with bandage for 24 hours. Blisters will form, and it will fall off in about a week.

* Eat more foods with sulfur-containing amino acids: asparagus, citrus fruits, eggs, garlic, onions.

* Salicylic acid (eg aspirin).

Well, those are the main points listed in the book. I hope somebody finds this helpful!

Alison

15. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

I've noticed what I think might be warts on my hands. On the side of my right hand are very small white bumps that sometime itch and i have a few more on fingers on both hands. I just itch and try to pick them off. Which doesn't seem to be working. A few have gone away but returned. I had the dermatologist look at them but he said nothing to worry about. Again, a Kaiser doc.!!!
    Guess I'll ask my internal doc when I go on friday IF I REMEMBER!!!! Thanks for the info.
    Betty in Valencia CA
  16. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Sounds like these could be warts. Ask a pharmacist! If they are not warts, I'm guessing they may even be related to a deficiency of essential fatty acids. I had this after being on Roaccutane treatment for acne (by the way, I do NOT recommend this treatment). The skin on my upper arms had small raised bumps on them and they were itchy. It was a lack of natural oils, caused by the Roaccutane altering my production of natural oil. So I went on supplements of Omega 3 and 6, which cleared it right up.

But definitely get it checked out by a pharmacist, and then consult somebody at a reputable health/supplement store. Let us know what happens!

Alison