was asked to post when off morphine. here goes.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smiffy79, Sep 8, 2005.

1. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi all
    a while ago i posted here saying the dr wanted me off morphine but i wasnt sure what he would be puttong me on.
    at the time i was asked to post back when on something new.

this is just an experiment,for those of you who dont know i agreed a whlie ago to play guinea pig for my dr and i was happy as i would be helping him and others (just dont get paid lol)

right o, am on tizanidine a ms drug for cramping and spasms
    am now on day 4 and on no pain relief what so ever and im not doing bad!

have hoovered today had a bath school runs walked the dogs done some shopping then had a half hour nap and am going dog training tonight.

i will keep yuo posted if you want,i am trialing for a month and keeping a day to day diary. after that month between my dr and i we will decide wether to keep going with it or try something else.

i am very aware however that me is known to copy ms and ms symptoms and so the ms drug may be quashing the me symptoms and right now i have come out of a massive fm flare that has gone on for two years.
    so while this is working on my cfs i have to watch out for fm.

am hoping to use the guai protocol for fm. this may be my winning combo. will wait and see but not get excited.

what do you guys think?
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Smiffy:
    No matter what: improvement is improvement in whatever way we can get it. I think it is wonderful you are feeling better. It gives us all hope. Thanks for being a 'guinea pig' for all of us CFSers (and FMers).
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

what morphine tablets were you taking??

I think this is great that you are 'pioneering' a potential useful drug. Just be aware of any side effects and keep an eye on yourself, you might have unwanted effects before the month is out. Hopefully not.

This is very interesting, thanks for keeping us informed.

Rosie
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

was on mst 12hour slow release at 40mg a day sometimes 50mg before that was on a morphine patch slow release over three days.

the pain is lesser but i have only been on a week and i am not expecting all the pain to go.

its only working because when we feel pain we tense and so the pain gets worse then we get all knotty and soon enough we are stuck with it.

yes relaxation excercises help but the moment we get up to move all the pain rushes back.

this tizanidine is working to stop the cramping and spasms and so to lessen the pain. great in theory but its one of those time will tell things isnt it.

have been pulling off guai stuff from here for my dr,hopefully it will help him decide wether to use it for fm or not. will see :)

take care guys,smiffy
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i have noticed my mouth is dryer than normal and i seem to have a bigger thirst.

i took my kids to a theme park yesterday! two years ago my hubby ended up taking me to first aid for a drink and a rest in the air conditioning.
    i did all right! but took two amitriptyline on the way home.

today am doing ok i walked my kids down to park,had trouble on the way home but i did it.
    no pain killers today either.
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

hope it continues then I'll be speaking to my own GP.

Rosie
  7. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

kids broke the parcel shelf to my motability car so was really angry, after that i cramped up.
    everything hurts and can barly walk!

now miserable.
  8. orachel

orachel New Member

I'm recently diagnosed, and docs immediately took me off narcotics (never morphine..just good old vicodin and flexeril) when I was diagnosed with FM. I'm on a bunch of stuff, but take both Tizanidine (also called Zanaflex) 8 mgs a day (4 in morning, 4 at night) and Tramadol (also called Ultram...just a stronger version of Ultracet). For some reason, Ultracet made me feel kinda crawly/antsy, but the stronger version, Ultram, doesn't make me feel that way at all. So far, not getting any major pain relief from either, but only been few weeks. Docs say that it can take months to get relief, but the relief you get eventually can be signifigant.

Smiffy, maybe talk to your doc about adding Ultram, as recent studies have shown MAJOR improvement (over time) for pain levels of people with FM, and clearly it can be taken with your Tizanidine, as I'm on both. Just a thought!
    Good luck!
    Rachel
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2005]