was just told by a Nuero that there is no FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sandyblue, Aug 7, 2006.

1. sandyblue

sandyblue New Member

Have you ever had one of those days when a "Licensed Professional" tells you that it is all in your head and that there is no such thing as Fibromyalgia. I have suffered from this for 10 years! Closed minds can be so infuriating!
  2. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

YES...my physical therapist told me that FM does not exist. "It's just a name doctors give to patients when they can't really figure out what is wrong." OMG...I was furious.

I told him that FM DOES exist and I am living proof of it. I never went back. How can a PT help me if he doesn't believe in the diagnosis???

Dawn
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

You should have told him his filosofy is all in his head!

What a butt@#%$!
  4. sandyblue

sandyblue New Member

I fired the Nuero for that within 5 minutes and got a new one and this time I made sure that he knows that FMS exists!
    thanks for the input, I cant say how mad I have been and of course frustrated. I think I will send him some brochures with a letter telling him that he needs to continue his education and that a med degree from 20 years ago just aint enough, LOL!
  5. FibroTart

FibroTart New Member

Did he have big feet and a red nose?

I have run into some before...shows how our health care providers are starting to go to clown school, too as a requirement.

(sorry to those of us in Med field.(I am sure ya'll are good ...just a rant to the ignorant "Professionals")
  6. sandyblue

sandyblue New Member

Believe it or not it is truly dificult to find a good Nuero here in Phoenix. I had better docs when I lived in Pennsylvania. But I keep trying, I have nothing else I can do. I have a great pain doc, its just the Nuerologists that are crazy out here!
  7. sandyblue

sandyblue New Member

To be honest the reason I called him today is because of a symtom that I have been having from and with my migraines and FMS. Maybe you guys can help.
    Have any of you had the skin on your face and half your body feel as if it is burning up and on fire? When I get this I also get a strange "zapping" type of feeling like as if my limbs have fallen asleep from me laying on the nerve to long. I know this must sound crazy, but it has happened to me 5 times since May and I have been going crazy trying to be seen by a Nuero. It took me 2 months to get an appt with the idiot that says there is no FMS so I dont know what to do. Anyone here have this problem?
    sandy in AZ
  8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

of the facts that drives them. Many went to school years ago or have read the insurance propoganda that was being put out just a few years ago to try and get out of paying for treatment. Some have so overbooked themselves that they don't have or won't TAKE the time to read the latest studies and current info on things like FM.

WE know that more and more it is pointing to a variety of viruses as well as to it being a Central Nervous Disease. THEY need to be educated not hated. I have good doctors now so it's not an issue for me right now.

But should circumstances change for me, I will find all the latest research and articles I can find...that one speech that a researcher? gave is here if you look for it, where he explains how it IS real and is the best lecture on the subject I've ever read. I would print it
    all out and put it in a folder, highlight the most important parts and hand it to a
    doctor who was still uneducated. If he chose to ignore it, well it's his and his patients loss, but SOME would read it. We
    simply cannot give up or let these doctors go unchallanged.
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

My husband has to have a certain number of professional hours of education every year just to hang onto his state law license. I have to have 16 hours of professional classes to be a "highly competent" teacher every year.
    I'm sure doctors have to have something in the way of extra education every year. Surely FM/ CF/ CFIDS/ RSD and things such as those are covered or will be covered because they are relatively new diagnoses.