Was Lyme in CA in the 1970s?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by Pwr2Heal, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Pwr2Heal

Pwr2Heal New Member

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I hope this isn't a totally foolish question!

I went on a Girl Scout camping trip in the early 70s when I was 8 or 9 in northern California and woke up one morning with a tick stuck in the top of my head. They removed the tick and supposedly all was fine. I don't recall whether I had any immediate symptoms or not. If I did, I'm sure we would not have connected it to the tick bite.

I've had low energy since I was at least 10 years old. Also a low body temp and low blood pressure. I also had huge swollen lymph nodes until my early 20s, but my mother says I had those from the time I was 3 when I had a very positive TB test. I didn't get sick much as a kid, but I did have a spell of recurrent bronchitis for a few years (age 14 to 16). One case of the flu when I was 23 which took me well over a month to recover from. I also had a certain amount of post-exertional malaise from the time I was at least 10.

When I became pregnant 8 years ago my health took a serious downward turn: severe fatigue, sleep disruptions, serious GI tract issues (diarrhea for 6 weeks straight shortly after the birth of my son, never returned to normal), and recurrent miscarriages (10 miscarriages in all).

I've recently been diagnosed with CFS, mild FM, reactivated viruses (3 identified) and bacterial infections (2 identified). I did 6 weeks of Clindamycin and Macrodantin, followed by 3 months of Zith, Rifampin & Flagyl. I had HUGE, intense die-off reactions on these antibiotics. I am currently on Valtrex but am not having much reaction yet (only on it 2.5 weeks so far).

Sorry to digress... back to my question. Can anyone tell me if Lyme was definitely in California in the early 1970s? I've done some research online and it looks like it could definitely have been here then. I am wondering if I possibly got Lyme back then, and somehow managed to fight it off somewhat until I became pregnant, the suppression of the immune system during my many pregnancies allowing it to get a better hold. Or if the viruses and bacteria are my only issues. I've just starting thinking about this so haven't done any lyme testing yet.

Thanks for any input or ideas on this!
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

that Lyme Disease was first identified in Lyme CT in the mid-1970's.

I guess that doesn't mean it didn't exist elsewhere before that -- but the doctors didn't identify it anywhere before then.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. It certainly sounds like you've been through a lot, health-wise. Hope you're feeling better.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. Pwr2Heal

Pwr2Heal New Member

Hi Janelle,

Thank so much for responding. Everything I'd read/heard also says that Lyme Disease was first identified in Lyme CT in the mid-70s. Then today I read this page on LDF's site and was wondering if it's possible that Lyme was in CA in the 70s, too. Here's the website:

http://www.lyme.org/otherdis/ld_history.html

The first paragraph on this page says:

It is a popular misconception that Lyme disease was discovered in the late 1970's in Lyme, Connecticut. However, medical literature is actually rich with more than a century of writing about the condition, although most of it has been published only in Europe.

But, it doesn't give any info about Lyme in California, so I thought I'd see if anyone here knows more. I guess I'd be happiest to find out that Lyme didn't exist in California in the 70s, but given all the challenges I've been dealing with maybe it doesn't matter too much one way or the other?

Anyway, thanks so much again for responding. All best wishes to you!
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I would suggest getting tested and seeing a LLMD. Nobody knows for certain where and when lyme first occured. I don't think it's a coincidence that you were bitten and then have these symptoms.

Good luck!!
  5. Pwr2Heal

Pwr2Heal New Member

Hi mollystwin,

Thanks for posting! Yea, I think you're right. It's probably not a coincident at all. I'm going to look into getting tested and find a LLMD. It definitelky can't hurt to pursue this.

Best wishes to you!
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    I think Lyme could have been anywhere in the 70's, nobody knows for sure. It would explain your high number of miscarriages,as that is a symptom of Lyme disease. At least if you do test positive for Lyme, you can begin treatment for it. I wish you all the luck in the world. And all the health too, haha!

I will be praying for you sweetie!
    Your friend!
    Kellyann