Was my partying lifestyle to blame ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by desperation, May 7, 2003.

1. desperation

desperation New Member

Please don't think that I'm belittling this illness, I know WE ARE NOT TO BLAME but do you think our 'past lives' have helped develop our illnesses.
    I used to drink alot, eat a lot of sugar and take recreational drugs and prescription drugs. I had a very stressful childhood and used to get very anxious.
    Do you think that this unhealthy living is a contributing factor to the illness?
    Anyone have similar pasts?
    Lu x
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Some of us lived like you described, others did not, but we are all sick.

I got Fibro after I had pneumonia, before that I was a very healthy person.

I did smoke, drink, stay up all night (always had a problem sleeping), never ate well, not junk food, just didn't eat very much. Still don't. Always had a problem keeping my weight up.

Did not eat a lot of sugar, in fact I am not much on sweets at all.

Don't beat yourself up for your past life, I doubt if it had a whole lot to do with any of this.

I am beginning to believe like a lot of the others that its some kind of virus or something to that effect!

I was fine untill I had pneumonia, thats over twenty years ago.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

I think you will find a Lot of people who will fit this description- I was a lot like you. Very much. But there are MANY here who are so Radically Different!- and They can relate to a Hundred Others, like themselves! FM/CFIDS hits anybody!

As you said, we didn't cause these DD's- They are still looking for that ONE LITTLE THING that ties us together~~~
    THAT will be the BEGINNING of our CURE ! Maybe a virus, a bacterium...Yes, Maybe a PRESCRIPTION !!!!!!!

And by all means, Lu x, keep asking these Q's and I don't think it's belittling the illness. It's wanting to ask "WHY?" and yell "GET ME OUT OF IT !" and...

We are all here for each other until we're better!

Hey, Welcome to the Board!

Love,
    Fibromiester

4. kalina

kalina New Member

If everybody who drank excessively, overindulged in junk food and popped pills eventually came down with these DDs, then there would be a MAJOR epidemic, and our economy would collapse. Then people would really sit up and take notice, and our government would actually be DOING something about the resulting health crisis. Hey, we might even get some funding for research! :]

Kalina
  5. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

You have a valid point there, I think on the whole it`s the overdoers who get this, ongoing stress is a factor whether it`s from lifestyle, work, home, relationships etc.
    Stress/poor diet lowers the immune system, and opens the gates for infection. - Then off down the slippery slope we go....

It seems there is a predispositioning factor too, so don`t beat yourself up.

I`ve learned so much from this board, and now have better health, my daughter too. I hope you are also on the same road soon.

Love Pat.
  6. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

We are human, we live our lives in a human way and it is human to not look too far into the future - we could drive ourselves mad that way.
    So we do what we do...I'll bet we all have things we wish we could have done differently, but that means we have learned from things so that is progression.
    I'm not even going to start on the list of things that I would change if I had my time over, but rest assured it is as long as yours and everyone elses too...
    Look at it this way hon, at least you have some great memories to look back on! And you can feel that you lived life to the full! Try and stay positive about this, cos I DO believe that staying positive is half the battle with this DD.
    hugs
    Mary x
  7. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

The same thing that made you a party animal also caused you FMS. They're both related to ADHD and commorbid conditions, such as anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder etc. Most evidence points to FMS starting from a neurological "glitch" where the primal "fight or flight" response is permanently turned on. The party part comes from the frontal lobe being underdeveloped (the part of the brain that fliters our thoughts and responses). We lack "control"and are prone to risky behavior. Our brains are also deficient in the way it handles chemicals such as serotonin or dopamine, which bring us "pleasure". We use alcohol and other drugs, including nicotine, because they mimic the effect of these chemicals for a short time. They actually occupy the receptors in the brain usually used by these chemicals. I take meds (ritalin and buspar) for anxiety and ADHD and have found I know longer crave these actiivities and "drugs. I've learned more about my FMS by researching ADHD, anxiety, restless leg syndrome, obsessive compulsive disorders (don't have it but learned about how it affects the brain). The key here is learning everything you can about how things affect your brain. Has done wonders for me.

Bob

8. tansy

tansy New Member

There are people who abuse their bodies and get away with it. Others who live a very healhy livestyle and have a balanced life who still get sick with these DDs, and a host of other chronic diseases.

So there's no point in blaming yourself for your illness.

Some things just happen. Since no one has come up with a single cause as yet there's little point in dwelling over it.

At least this board can offer you lots of advice and ideas on how to maximise you health now, and that's all that matters.

Cheers

Tansy

9. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

every point i was going to make has been made.......when i first got sick 23 years ago i was only 26 and i thought i was being punished for my lifestyle , which was very life on the edge,......i had a lot of fun and adventures....over the years as i met more people ill in the same or similar ways to myself i found out that there were people just as sick who had never even smoked a cigarette.....never drank alcohol and who married their first and only boyfriend....my relief was huge....time and other people showed me that the DD was not a punishment for my past life it just was a stinking rotten illness that hit people who pushed themselves...maybe too much...that was the single defining characterisic i could see........i used to say that no lazy person ever got this DD !

having said this i do now believe that the reason i am so severely affected is because i pushed myself too much for too many years and i did not give my body the care and respect it needed.
    This is what i have been learning to do as i continue to find my way back to healing....taking care of myself ...thats my weak spot.....

i also had a very stressful childhood and i do feel that has gone into making my system vulnerable.....cortisol levels rise and later fall, both causing stress and damage to the adrenal glands.

definately not anything to feel bad about

cheers
    pinkquartz
  10. desperation

desperation New Member

dear all,
    Thankyou so much for all your wonderful responses. it seems as though some people are more receptive to this illness and whether this is due to the'past' or not remains unclear. For some it has nothing to do with this but for others, like me, I believe it played a part ( however small).
    I am now going to look after myself. Since developing this illness ( 2 years ago) I have virtually given up alcohol, have early nights (insomnia permitting)and really listen to my stupid body.
    Anyway enough about me.......Good luck you guys on the road to recovery. It's a hard journey but we'll get there.
    Love lu
  11. T-BO

T-BO New Member

I am really glad to see that you brought up this topic! I myself always wanted to ask this qustion but was to embarrased and felt that I would have been put down and judged.

I, myself smoked marijuana and cigarettes every evening after work for 3 years and have wondered if this was a contributing factor.

I have only had one doctor say that it COULD have contributed to my illness but 99% of docs i've seen haven't been too conserned.

Also, in an information package I recieved from the CFIDS Orginization stated that prior drug or alchol abuse (2 yrs. before onset) would rule you out of the category of CFS. I disagree with this statement and feel that it is just a copp out for doctors to call us alchoholics or drug addicts even though many of us have completly changed our lifestyles and habits.

And even if abuse of substances, stress, or whatever did contribute to our illness, I don't think we should get any less help from medical profesionals or be recognized as some sort of degenerates because of our past mistakes.

Well that's my 2 cents.

I would also like to thank everyone that replied to desperations message because it just sheds a little bit more light on our situations.

Peace out and God bless!

T-BO
  12. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

If this DD teaches us anything - it's that we should have partied more when we had the chance. I know it's one of my many regrets.

:eek:)

Lane